Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Unchartered Territory
Posted By: kevinschoenmakers, 06-07-2009, 09:26 AM

I usually never take pictures of flowers, but I had a go at one today. I had to hold an umbrella and a camera at the same time as it was still raining. That didn't work. I tried with a flash, bounced off of the umbrella and direct. That didn't work. Then I tried with a tripod and that did work. PP is some changing of the channels to get the red to pop more (the leafs were very, very green), plus additional B/W conversion and soft focus on the second on.

C&C much appreciated!

K100D Super
K 55m 1.8
f9.5
1/20
ISO 200

Views: 1,863
06-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
nice rose! I like the color better than the B&W, there are some bright spots in the B&W in the upper left part of the image that I find very distracting, plus the rose is very close in tone to the leaves. In the color shot, the rose is very distinct because of the lovely red color. I might have not altered the green quite as much, it looks not quite right on my monitor, but maybe that's the color rose leaves are where you live
06-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timbo13 Quote
nice rose! I like the color better than the B&W, there are some bright spots in the B&W in the upper left part of the image that I find very distracting, plus the rose is very close in tone to the leaves. In the color shot, the rose is very distinct because of the lovely red color. I might have not altered the green quite as much, it looks not quite right on my monitor, but maybe that's the color rose leaves are where you live
In the original the leaves were as green as green gets, and I felt they were competing for attention with the rose. Link.

Thanks for your comments!
06-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like the color version, Kevin - isolating the rose is very cool in my view.

Jer

06-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Very sharp image. A little less DOF would make the rose stand out even more.
06-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I really like the color version, Kevin - isolating the rose is very cool in my view.

Jer
Thanks Jer!

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Very sharp image. A little less DOF would make the rose stand out even more.
You're very right. I didn't really get the snarpness I wanted with bigger apertures but that was before I got the tripod into the game. Maybe I'll give it another go sometime, at sunrise/down with some nice orange light or some such.

PS: The picture of the guy trying to get a cab on your website is brilliant. I find getting both motion and sharpness into the same picture is very tough, and you pulled it off perfectly.
06-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Colored image is very nice. On the BW version rose is dissapearing and losing visibility.