Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Solar/Electric Boat Racing (6 Imgs)
Posted By: sajmmiller, 06-08-2009, 09:00 AM

I was asked to be the event photographer at Solar Splash 2009, an international, intercollegiate, solar/electric boat engineering competition. The organizers wanted coverage of all teams in specific categories, and therefore I ended up with 170 photos covering the event from beginning to end. Here's a few of my favorites which link to larger versions and the rest of the 170 in my Zenfolio gallery:

University of New Orleans during a sprint heat:

University of New Orleans caught between cameras during their winning 22-second sprint run:

Cedarville University and College of New Jersey, neck-and-neck during a sprint heat:

Cedarville University making their slalom run:

Cedarville University driver and panels getting sprayed down for cooling during the endurance event:

Washington State University during the 2-hour endurance event:

All taken with DA 16-45mm and DA 55-300mm lenses. For the high-speed panning shots, I used a monopod with SR on. Thanks for looking! Comments always appreciated.
Views: 2,216
06-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
nice pictures, cool event!
06-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timbo13 Quote
nice pictures, cool event!
Thanks Tim! It IS a cool event, yet very few people here in NW Arkansas seem to show up and pay any attention to it...a shame really. Next year will be the last year in Arkansas, and then, hopefully, it will move to a location where it's better appreciated.
06-09-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting - I didn't know such boats existed, although sailboats, used for extended cruising, often have solar panels to charge batteries.

Nice captures.

Jer

06-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Interesting - I didn't know such boats existed, although sailboats, used for extended cruising, often have solar panels to charge batteries.

Nice captures.

Jer
Jer,
Thanks for your comment! The publicity isn't very widespread, so not widely known about. That's interesting about sailboats using solar panels to charge batteries, and makes a lot of sense. Some of the boats in the competition are well sponsored, well funded, and therefore, pretty high tech...University of New Orleans boat comes to mind. On the other hand some of the teams were operating on a shoestring. Last year we had a Turkish team, and this year teams from Great Britain and Mexico.
06-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sajmmiller Quote
Jer,
Thanks for your comment! The publicity isn't very widespread, so not widely known about. That's interesting about sailboats using solar panels to charge batteries, and makes a lot of sense. Some of the boats in the competition are well sponsored, well funded, and therefore, pretty high tech...University of New Orleans boat comes to mind. On the other hand some of the teams were operating on a shoestring. Last year we had a Turkish team, and this year teams from Great Britain and Mexico.
Cruisers have used panels for years. However, the future of cruising sailboats, virtually all of which (like ours) have auxiliary diesel engines, probably lies with electric motors. Batteries for the motor and ship's systems can be recharged while providing 12V power by allowing the prop to spin freely under sail thus cranking a generator. Such systems are available now for world cruisers for whom the issue is fuel capacity (regardless of cost), but the cost is too high to make sense for coastal cruisers. I'm betting that'll change and most cruising sailboats, regardless of use, will have electric motor/generator systems within a decade or two - depending on evolution of battery technology for automotive applications. For coastal cruisers, an electric system would also allow one to "fuel up" dockside, by plugging the boat in (we won't think about the coal being burned to provide the juice).

Anyway - once again, an interesting series of photos showing what the future can be.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 06-10-2009 at 05:57 PM.
06-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Cruisers have used panels for years. However, the future of cruising sailboats, virtually all of which (like ours) have auxiliary diesel engines, probably lies with electric motors. Batteries for the motor and ship's systems can be recharged while providing 12V power by allowing the prop to spin freely under sail thus cranking a generator. Such systems are available now for world cruisers for whom the issue is fuel capacity (regardless of cost), but the cost is too high to make sense for coastal cruisers. I'm betting that'll change and most cruising sailboats, regardless of use, will have electric motor/generator systems within a decade or two - depending on evolution of battery technology for automotive applications. For coastal cruisers, an electric system would also allow one to "fuel up" dockside, by plugging the boat in (we won't think about the coal being burned to provide the juice).

Anyway - once again, an interesting series of photos showing what the future can be.

Jer
Jer,

Thanks for the interesting and informative reply. The ability to generate power via solar and/or wind via a free spinning prop sounds like a great system. It also fits with the sailboating image of clean, quiet power. Hopefully, we will see more and more applications for these clean technologies as prices come down. Having flown sailplanes, I can image how much you must enjoy your sailboat.