Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ride Sally Ride - Bicycle Road Racing
Posted By: MRRiley, 06-09-2009, 02:50 PM

Shot a nice convenient bicycle race this past Saturday. It is held every year about 2 miles from my house in an industrail park where the streets are named after astronaut. The main road for the race is "Sally Ride Drive" hence the name of the race, Ride Sally Ride...

Shot with the Pentax K10D and various lenses, including the Pentax DA 16-45mm, the Tamron 28-75mm and the Sigma 50-500mm (BIGMA).

More available on my Photo.net site at Bicycle Racing - Ride Sally Ride - 6 June 2009 .

Enjoy,

Mike
Views: 4,564
06-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shootin', Mike! Love that that you kept that last one; there's a lot of folks that would chimp that and go "damn ... <delete>"
06-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Jim. The last one was actually intentional. Ya gotta break out of the mold sometimes. Glad you liked it.

Mike
06-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Great Series, I liked the last one !!

06-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

I really like the distortion on the first one and yeah, the last one totally rocks. Nice shootin' Mike. I wish I could have joined you for that.
06-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
JMR
Veteran Member

Great shots. You have captured the dynamic qualities of the riders and their bikes. Not an easy feat.

JMR
06-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

#1 and #4 are totally top of class! Great work!

I have been meaning to get out to some of the local races here in the Vancouver/Portland area. Bicycling is a big thing here and I would anticipate some pretty intense competition.

Steve
06-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great stuff, Mike, and I agree with the other posts. Also glad that you kept the last one. I'm hoping to get out and shoot one of our local races before the season ends; thanks for sharing yours.

06-10-2009, 03:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

In the thick of the action Mike great shooting

cheers
06-10-2009, 05:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sureshgvv Quote
Great Series, I liked the last one !!
Thanks, that one was conceived as I walked from one corner to the next along a sidewalk that was lower than the road surface. Saw the bikes going by and thought it'd make a neat photo. Glad folks agree it worked.

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I really like the distortion on the first one and yeah, the last one totally rocks. Nice shootin' Mike. I wish I could have joined you for that.
Thanks Mel. I got a lot of exercise in my waist muscles that day. Pivot and shoot, pivot and shoot, pivot and shoot as the peleton goes by. LOL Glad you like the last one too.

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Great shots. You have captured the dynamic qualities of the riders and their bikes. Not an easy feat.
JMR
Thanks JMR. It can be hard balancing the need to have part of the rider and bike sharp so they are recognizable and making the rest blur to show the speed.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
#1 and #4 are totally top of class! Great work!

I have been meaning to get out to some of the local races here in the Vancouver/Portland area. Bicycling is a big thing here and I would anticipate some pretty intense competition.

Steve
Thanks Steve. I'm hoping the riders agree and buy lots of copies. I want to buy myself a K20D soon. Check out www.usacycling.org -- The Official Website of USA Cycling & BikeReg.com - online cycling event registration for race dates and locations.

QuoteOriginally posted by AlphaGAK20D Quote
Great stuff, Mike, and I agree with the other posts. Also glad that you kept the last one. I'm hoping to get out and shoot one of our local races before the season ends; thanks for sharing yours.
Thanks Lou. Check out the USA Cycling and BikeReg urls above. Lots of season left since they race well into the fall, especially down your way.

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
In the thick of the action Mike great shooting

cheers
Thanks Cupic. It is quite a rush when you feel the breeze as they pass you in those corners. I love it. Glad you like the pics.

Mike
06-10-2009, 05:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

We have a classic here that runs from Brisbane to just pass Sydney(Commonwealth Bank classic) if its still running will go and my my luck as you have done very admirably

cheers
06-10-2009, 06:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Well done! I agree with the others - first and last are particularly good!
06-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent series Mike - tack sharp - great panning skills.
06-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks John and Dave.

By the way, here are a couple of shots from "the pits"...

(I wish they gave massages to photographers. I needed one by the time the day was over.)

Mike