Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wandering around Wellington NZ
Posted By: MoiVous, 06-09-2009, 07:21 PM

I spent the weekend teaching in Wellington NZ, and managed to get a half day to shoot a few frames with my Sigma 10-20mm.

Being early winter at a highish latitude (41 degrees), the light was interesting, even if it was around 11am.

So here is a short series.....

The whale fountain at Frank Kitts Park on Lambton Harbour....

and the whale fountain backlit.....

Maori statue on Lambton Harbour

The diving man - probably my favourite...

Courtenay Place is the eating/enterntainment strip in Wellington, and the NZ film industry is represented nearby. This camera tripod commemorates the industry - particulary after the efforts of the NZ team behind Lord of the Rings

And finally, we had dinner in a bar on Courtenay Place that played 60s - 70s music, had interesting decor (like these flattened brass instruments) and great food.

One final comment - New Zealanders are polite, helpful friendly people - a great place to visit if you get the chance (this was my 4th visit). I regret I couldn't stay longer

Cheers
Views: 3,470
06-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
JMR
Veteran Member

Some nice shots. I really like the diving man and did not know what he was doing. I was captivated by the light surrounding him and his posture, as if he was striving to absorb the sun.. It made me wonder. Some things are best left unsaid.
06-09-2009, 08:47 PM   #3

A nice series Chris - the winter sunshine really gives these something extra.
BTW - odd to see clear blue skies in Wellington too!
06-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Some very fine images in deed! Good photography especially in the first one and 6th shot

06-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Some very fine images in deed! Good photography especially in the first one and 6th shot
Thanks James - I liked number 6 too, but the on camera flash let it down a bit IMHO. Tried it in landscape the first time and it introduced a very distracting shadow - a lesson for using a wide angle lens me thinks!

QuoteOriginally posted by MattC Quote
A nice series Chris - the winter sunshine really gives these something extra.
BTW - odd to see clear blue skies in Wellington too!
Strangely, we had a sunny day before the rain & clouds on the weekend. I agree that winter sunshine/sky has a very appealing quality and I try to catch it when its there. Perhaps we need sunshine to beat off the winter blues.....

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Some nice shots. I really like the diving man and did not know what he was doing. I was captivated by the light surrounding him and his posture, as if he was striving to absorb the sun.. It made me wonder. Some things are best left unsaid.
I walked around this statue a bit and bobbed up and down a bit before settling on this view as the most interesting. I definitely wanted to catch the sun in the image and looking at it again, I see that your suggestion of striving to absorb the sun could be the theme. I feel that a statue and an image often have different stories for different people - so giving titles doesn't always work

Thanks for that comment everyone - much appreciated.

Cheers
06-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Diving Man" is exceptional, in my view.

Jer
01-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #7

Thanks for the photos and comments about Nz's.
As a Wellingtonian I was interested in the colour of the sky.
How did you get it so blue?
If only it looked good this summer - 2 or 3 days of sun since 24 December 2009. The joke is that we are having a mild winter!

cheers
Graeme

01-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

A really nice series Chris!
01-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Nice series, and I agree that the diving man is the stand out shot. It might have benefited from a bit of fill flash, just a little so that it doesn't destroy the nice rim light effect.

Next time you're in Wellington, let me know and I'll invite you to a drink.
01-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
Inactive Account

What a top lens.. and a great series. Thanks for sharing Chris.
01-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Chris, great photos from a lens that isn't too easy for many!
I like the first ones, with the blue, blue sky!
01-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
"Diving Man" is exceptional, in my view.

Jer
Thank Jer - its at the top of my list and graces my wall at work!

QuoteOriginally posted by mitsilad Quote
Thanks for the photos and comments about Nz's.
As a Wellingtonian I was interested in the colour of the sky.
How did you get it so blue?
If only it looked good this summer - 2 or 3 days of sun since 24 December 2009. The joke is that we are having a mild winter!

cheers
Graeme
Thanks for looking Graeme - and I sincerely meant what I said about NZ - I'll be back!

As for how blue it was in Wellington, there was almost no PP on those images. But it was a very crisp day (about 10C from memory) with that usual Wellington wind. I suspect its a combination of the weather, the low sun, and the lens.

As for winter in summer - can you send some over here? We've had a fairly warm dry summer so far, with at least 2 heatwaves (in excess of 35C, but closer to 40C most of the time) so far (mid November and last week) and I suspect another one soon.

QuoteOriginally posted by PentX Girl Quote
A really nice series Chris!
Thankyou for viewing!

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Nice series, and I agree that the diving man is the stand out shot. It might have benefited from a bit of fill flash, just a little so that it doesn't destroy the nice rim light effect.

Next time you're in Wellington, let me know and I'll invite you to a drink.
Thanks for the comments and for enjoying "Diving Man". Yes, he is a little dark, and may have benefited from fill in flash. I think it was centre weighted average metering too, so the background made him a tad dark. I'll keep the fill flash in mind in future - now that I have new flash

As for that drink - I might just take you up on that (due there again next year)

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
What a top lens.. and a great series. Thanks for sharing Chris.
Thanks - I appreciate the comments. It is a great lens, and spends a lot of time on my camera when I'm in tourist mode.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Chris, great photos from a lens that isn't too easy for many!
I like the first ones, with the blue, blue sky!
Many thanks Rense. I was pretty lucky with the blue sky that day - it was the only day I got to do any shooting - and the light was perfect.
I think the secret with this lens is to practice lots and look from lots of different angles (high/low/left/right/portrait/landscape) to find the best viewpoint. Guess I brought that idea from my film days, when you had to stretch that roll of film and get more keepers!

Thanks to all for looking - again - for what I thought was quite an old thread.

Cheers
01-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
As for that drink - I might just take you up on that (due there again next year)
Sure, send me a PM nearer the time, if you like.