Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pride Goeth Before the Fall - In Living B&W
Posted By: Sailor, 06-10-2009, 03:42 PM

Today, I drove over to our local wetlands to try to shoot some birds or other wildlife; I experienced my usual level of success in the genre - mediocrity. However, at the end of "the shoot", I slapped on my DA 15 Limited - an act that always seems to fill me with an unwarranted sense of artistic importance - and shot some "hardware" around the place, including a statue of a man and boy.

I was pleased with the composition and felt it would be more compelling in B&W. I painstakingly did the conversion - aiming at a particular surface texture of the statue. After cropping and grinning - I was pleased (sinful pride ) . . . . . . until I noticed the man has two flags hanging from his nose.

I post the image here as a warning to other old geezers who get too big for their britches.

Jer

Views: 2,605
06-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Man you couldn't have got those flags any closer even if you had been trying. jim
06-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aww Sailor...I dont see any flags. Looks GREAT to me.

06-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jmc7104 Quote
Man you couldn't have got those flags any closer even if you had been trying. jim
Indeed! I'm not that steady.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote

Terrific job - now I have a masterpiece. Somehow, I've never convinced myself this sort of thing is "fair". Besides, I haven't a clue how to do it.

Jer

06-11-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haha Jer, it sounds so familiar to me! Bird shots and wildlife are not my speciality (putting it mildly ), and I suffer from this flag syndrome you describe. With the difference that I never notice them myself, and I have to rely on others to point them out. And as far as the process of cloning goes: I am in the same state of ignorance as you when it comes to these skills...
06-11-2009, 02:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i like how they're blowing the direction they are, it gives a sense of motion to the image of statues =)

if you want to get REALLY artistic, the father blowing his nose with flags points to the fact that as adults, parents, elder citizens we give advice to younger generations even though we're really just blowing hot air!
06-11-2009, 04:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote

Mmh...are you sure it is not illegal to errase flags like that?

06-11-2009, 05:26 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Haha Jer, it sounds so familiar to me! Bird shots and wildlife are not my speciality (putting it mildly ), and I suffer from this flag syndrome you describe. With the difference that I never notice them myself, and I have to rely on others to point them out. And as far as the process of cloning goes: I am in the same state of ignorance as you when it comes to these skills...
Thanks, Rense - that makes me feel better; at least, I'm not the only one.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
i like how they're blowing the direction they are, it gives a sense of motion to the image of statues =)

if you want to get REALLY artistic, the father blowing his nose with flags points to the fact that as adults, parents, elder citizens we give advice to younger generations even though we're really just blowing hot air!
Hard to argue with that.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Mmh...are you sure it is not illegal to errase flags like that?
I'm pretty sure it's legal and imtheguy did a marvelous job - I just wish I knew how.

Jer
06-11-2009, 06:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Jer,

I would not consider it to be a great sin to clone out those flags from this shot as imtheguy did. They would not have been there if your POV had been just an inch or two to the right, but then this would have changed the dynamic balance of the shot. As a purely "artistic" photo there is no great societal obligation to leave this otherwise very fine photo in it's pristine and original condition.

CLONE AWAY MAN!!!

Mike
06-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Jer,

I would not consider it to be a great sin to clone out those flags from this shot as imtheguy did. They would not have been there if your POV had been just an inch or two to the right, but then this would have changed the dynamic balance of the shot. As a purely "artistic" photo there is no great societal obligation to leave this otherwise very fine photo in it's pristine and original condition.

CLONE AWAY MAN!!!

Mike
You are, of course, absolutely right, Mike - and I was being a bit facetious in my reply to imtheguy (who did a great job, obviously). My big obstacle is that I don't know how (the only thing I can do is get rid of dust spots on blue sky). However, my daughter is a whizz at this stuff - I'll get her to tutor me when she's home in a couple of weeks.

Jer
06-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
Forum Member

You (or somebody) need to post a review for the DA 15. I'm very interested in it as the speed and focal length sound great for what I'm currently missing in my lineup. This was a nice shot but I'd love to hear more about its strengths and weaknesses.
06-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lunelson Quote
You (or somebody) need to post a review for the DA 15. I'm very interested in it as the speed and focal length sound great for what I'm currently missing in my lineup. This was a nice shot but I'd love to hear more about its strengths and weaknesses.
Do a search for me, tcom and RaduA and you'll find some recent posts with numerous pictures from this lens.

I've only owned the lens for a few weeks and I abhor pixel peeping, but I'm generally very pleased with the lens' rendering, thus far; color, contrast and lack of distortion are - to me - quite pleasing. DPreview has complained about the lens' sharpness (or lack thereof), but I've seen no indication that the lens is particularly soft.

Jer
06-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Great image Jer with or without the flags! JIM
06-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Great image Jer with or without the flags! JIM
Gee, thanks buddy. I think I've discovered a new universal principal: when you have your head up your a--, flags descend from the nose.

Jer
06-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #15

man, if I had a nickel for every shot I've taken that's been ruined for that exact sort of thing, I could buy that fancy lens you're using a couple times over!

Usually, I come home exclaiming something about the AWESOME shot I got ... only to have my wife look at it and say "yeah, it's great.. to bad there's a tree growing out of your friends head"

And then my ego goes sailing across the room making a farty noise like when you let go of a balloon before tying it.
« Tgif | For JMR »