Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
little fakker tried to bite me...
Posted By: flippedgazelle, 06-14-2009, 09:41 PM

Cut the grass this evening, and afterward while in the shower washing what few follicles remain to me, I felt what I thought was a piece of grass stubbornly stuck in the webbing between my right ring- and pinky - fingers. Took a look, and found this little fakker trying to bite me...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K2000  Photo 

Views: 1,690
06-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shot. Doesn't look so little from here though.
06-15-2009, 03:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

great record of the little blighter. i assume it is a tic?
06-15-2009, 04:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I HATE those blankety blank little SOBs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good macro, but it doesn't make me like or appreciate them in the least.

Mike

06-15-2009, 04:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I HATE those blankety blank little SOBs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike
agree with you 100% there, Mike. One of my favorite places to go seems always infested with them. I've been lucky, but then again, I also spray myself down before I go, and get a shower/check myself immediately after I return.

I'll probably have neurological problems or something later on in life from all the bug spray I've absorbed. Oh well.
06-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Excellent capture tehre
06-15-2009, 05:55 AM   #7
Inactive Account

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! *runs from thread*
06-15-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's like looking at a bed bug magnified 10k times ! It's a great shot and I hope once the photo session was over so was his time on this earth

06-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
It's like looking at a bed bug magnified 10k times ! It's a great shot and I hope once the photo session was over so was his time on this earth
Have to agree with this sentiment too... Unlike the disclaimer you see in most movies... I hope in this case
"At least one living creature was injured or killed in the production of this photograph!"
Mike
06-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
agree with you 100% there, Mike. One of my favorite places to go seems always infested with them. I've been lucky, but then again, I also spray myself down before I go, and get a shower/check myself immediately after I return.

I'll probably have neurological problems or something later on in life from all the bug spray I've absorbed. Oh well.
Have you ever tried those Bounce Sheets in your pockets Dan.
I understand they can't find you when you have them in your pocket. I understand they mask your smell.
06-15-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yep, it's deer tick. It was about 1/4" long - I really wish I had thought to put as penny next to it to give an indication of scale. When I found it, I flicked it into the sink and ran for the camera, shampoo still in my hair!

Hopefully, this will serve as a reminder to everyone to check himself/herself over after working in the yard. I've caught at least a half dozen of these ticks over the past couple of years, and they still skeeve me out.

Equipment used: K2000, DA L 50-200 lens, Raynox DCR-150 macro adapter, on-board flash.
06-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Have you ever tried those Bounce Sheets in your pockets Dan.
I understand they can't find you when you have them in your pocket. I understand they mask your smell.
Hmm, this is from an email I rec'vd from my mother a few months ago:

Interesting!!!!!

The US Postal service sent out a message to all letter carriers to put a sheet of Bounce in their uniform pockets to keep yellow-jackets away.
Use them all the time when playing baseball and soccer. I use it when I am working outside. It really works. The insects just veer around you.
All this time you've just been putting Bounce in the dryer!
1. It will chase ants away when you lay a sheet near them. It also repels mice.
2. Spread sheets around foundation areas, or in trailers, or cars that are sitting and it keeps mice from entering your vehicle.
3. It takes the odor out of books and photo albums that don't get opened too often.
4. It repels mosquitoes. Tie a sheet of Bounce through a belt loop when outdoors during mosquito season.
5. Eliminate static electricity from your television (or computer) screen.
6. Since Bounce is designed to help eliminate static cling, wipe your television screen with a used sheet of Bounce to keep dust from resettling.
7. Dissolve soap scum from shower doors. Clean with a sheet of Bounce.
8. To freshen the air in your home - Place an individual sheet of Bounce in a drawer or hang in the closet.
9. Put Bounce sheet in vacuum cleaner.
10. Prevent thread from tangling. Run a threaded needle through a sheet of Bounce before beginning to sew.
11. Prevent musty suitcases. Place an individual sheet of Bounce inside empty luggage before storing.
12. To freshen the air in your car - Place a sheet of Bounce under the front seat.
13. Clean baked-on foods from a cooking pan. Put a sheet in a pan, fill with water, let sit overnight, and sponge clean.
The anti-static agent apparently weakens the bond between the food and the pan.
14. Eliminate odors in wastebaskets. Place a sheet of Bounce at the bottom of the wastebasket.
15. Collect cat hair. Rubbing the area with a sheet of Bounce will magnetically attract all the lose hairs.
16. Eliminate static electricity from Venetian blinds. Wipethe blinds with a sheet of Bounce to prevent dust from resettling.
17. Wipe up sawdust from drilling or sand papering. A used sheet of Bounce will collect sawdust like a tack cloth.
18. Eliminate odors in dirty laundry. Place an individual sheet of Bounce at the bottom of a laundry bag or hamper.
19. Deodorize shoes or sneakers. Place a sheet of Bounce in your shoes or sneakers overnight.
20. Golfers put a Bounce sheet in their back pocket to keep the bees away.
21. Put a Bounce sheet in your sleeping bag and tent before folding and storing them. It will keep them smelling fresh.
22. Wet a Bounce sheet, hose down your car, and wipe lovebugs off easily with the wet Bounce.
Quick, bounce this along within the next 5 minutes! Nothing will happen if you don't, but your friends will be glad to
hear these hints!
06-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
Hmm, this is from an email I rec'vd from my mother a few months ago:

Interesting!!!!!

The US Postal service sent out a message to all letter carriers to put a sheet of Bounce in their uniform pockets to keep yellow-jackets away.
Use them all the time when playing baseball and soccer. I use it when I am working outside. It really works. The insects just veer around you.
All this time you've just been putting Bounce in the dryer!
1. It will chase ants away when you lay a sheet near them. It also repels mice.
2. Spread sheets around foundation areas, or in trailers, or cars that are sitting and it keeps mice from entering your vehicle.
3. It takes the odor out of books and photo albums that don't get opened too often.
4. It repels mosquitoes. Tie a sheet of Bounce through a belt loop when outdoors during mosquito season.
5. Eliminate static electricity from your television (or computer) screen.
6. Since Bounce is designed to help eliminate static cling, wipe your television screen with a used sheet of Bounce to keep dust from resettling.
7. Dissolve soap scum from shower doors. Clean with a sheet of Bounce.
8. To freshen the air in your home - Place an individual sheet of Bounce in a drawer or hang in the closet.
9. Put Bounce sheet in vacuum cleaner.
10. Prevent thread from tangling. Run a threaded needle through a sheet of Bounce before beginning to sew.
11. Prevent musty suitcases. Place an individual sheet of Bounce inside empty luggage before storing.
12. To freshen the air in your car - Place a sheet of Bounce under the front seat.
13. Clean baked-on foods from a cooking pan. Put a sheet in a pan, fill with water, let sit overnight, and sponge clean.
The anti-static agent apparently weakens the bond between the food and the pan.
14. Eliminate odors in wastebaskets. Place a sheet of Bounce at the bottom of the wastebasket.
15. Collect cat hair. Rubbing the area with a sheet of Bounce will magnetically attract all the lose hairs.
16. Eliminate static electricity from Venetian blinds. Wipethe blinds with a sheet of Bounce to prevent dust from resettling.
17. Wipe up sawdust from drilling or sand papering. A used sheet of Bounce will collect sawdust like a tack cloth.
18. Eliminate odors in dirty laundry. Place an individual sheet of Bounce at the bottom of a laundry bag or hamper.
19. Deodorize shoes or sneakers. Place a sheet of Bounce in your shoes or sneakers overnight.
20. Golfers put a Bounce sheet in their back pocket to keep the bees away.
21. Put a Bounce sheet in your sleeping bag and tent before folding and storing them. It will keep them smelling fresh.
22. Wet a Bounce sheet, hose down your car, and wipe lovebugs off easily with the wet Bounce.
Quick, bounce this along within the next 5 minutes! Nothing will happen if you don't, but your friends will be glad to
hear these hints!

I will now be purchasing a large package of bounce.
06-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #14
Damn Brit

Uugh! ticks. We had such a mild winter, they never went away. We regularly pull six or seven of them off our dogs after a walk.