Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Big Iron - Fire Power of Another Era
Posted By: Sailor, 06-17-2009, 02:38 PM

Yesterday we visited the battleship Texas, built in 1915 and used through WWII; conditions were probably the worst possible for photography on one of the longest days of the year with the sun nearly over head. It was also hotter than stink. Here are a few images, made with either DA 15 or DA 40, of some of the weaponry aboard. I plan another expedition to the Texas in about six months, when the sun will produce better light and less heat.

Jer

Views: 4,674
06-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful ship and great pics

06-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Now I know what they mean everything is bigger in Texas - that is one bad ass ship I would surrender (unless of course I was aboard the Black Perl ) - nice angle on those shots - I see you are liking the 15 a great focal length for getting in close and personal.
06-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Just finished reading Iain Ballantyne's H.M.S. Rodney so I'm kind of in a battleship mood. Some great shots of the old ship here. I hope I get the chance to walk her decks someday. Well done.

Tom G
06-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #19
Banned

Great shots of the Battleship "Texas".

I visited that ship many, many years ago while on a Galveston vacation.

Are those moorings alongside permanently attached to the ship?

Looks like she made it through "Ike" OK.

IIRC, she's not far from the San Jacinto Monument/Battlefield.

06-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by juanraortiz Quote
Beautiful ship and great pics
Thanks very much for the kind words.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Now I know what they mean everything is bigger in Texas - that is one bad ass ship I would surrender (unless of course I was aboard the Black Perl ) - nice angle on those shots - I see you are liking the 15 a great focal length for getting in close and personal.
If you're in command of the Black Pearl, you needn't fear anything - unless you encounter the Ghost Busters in a row boat.

Thanks for the nice comments, and - yeah - I do love this DA 15. I've got all five of the DA Limiteds and enjoy all of 'em.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Just finished reading Iain Ballantyne's H.M.S. Rodney so I'm kind of in a battleship mood. Some great shots of the old ship here. I hope I get the chance to walk her decks someday. Well done.

Tom G
Thanks, Tom. I too hope you get in a visit.

Jer
06-19-2009, 12:51 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Great series, Jer. Your (many) shots with the 15mm are tempting me to exchange my DA12-24 for the 15mm...and I love the 12-24!
06-19-2009, 07:38 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
Great series, Jer. Your (many) shots with the 15mm are tempting me to exchange my DA12-24 for the 15mm...and I love the 12-24!
Hey Daz - thanks much. Yeah, I am enjoying this little lens - way more than I expected. That DA 12-24 is awfully impressive - if it weren't for its size, I'm sure I'd have one.

Jer

06-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Great shots of a grand ol' lady (one you don't want to mess with)...

My first date with the wife was a road trip from Biloxi to go see the USS Alabama, when we were both newbie USAF butterbars at Keesler AFB (comm school). Poking around a warship gives you a great respect for her crew. Not to mention the history she holds...

Jim
Were you at Keesler after Hurricane Camille? I grew up 60 miles north of you in Hattiesburg.
06-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Were you at Keesler after Hurricane Camille? I grew up 60 miles north of you in Hattiesburg.
Yep, it was after Camille. I got there in Nov '83, left in October '84... We were fortunate enough to not have any direct hits while we were there! I do have downloaded copies of the NOAA airphotos post-Katrina, and you can see the foundation slab where our off-base apartment used to be...

Jim