Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Butterfly Macro, using my new AF-540FGZ flash... 8-)
Posted By: Marc Langille, 04-29-2007, 08:11 AM

Ahhh.... what a great thing to see the hummingbirds, butterflies, etc. flying about the garden. That hard freeze that hit the US several weeks ago killed over 80% of the buds and leaves on our trees - it's strange with green grass and warmer weather, but no leaves...

How is everybody? I've been away traveling a lot (I do a lot of bicycle race stuff), so I've been out of touch, and hadn't taken any photos for almost a month. BTW, you may see my ugly mug on Versus (formerly the Outdoor Life Network) tonight... I'm doing time board duties on the motorcycle for the Tour de Georgia.

Regardless, here's one of my first butterfly images for the year - he was most accommodating...

Taken at F/11, 1/180 sec., 200mm, ISO 100. This image is about 25% of actual size, cropped some for better composition. Shot hand held, in that horribly soft JPEG:

This is a REALLY nice flashgun, no question. Perhaps I need to read the other 90 pages of the manual...

I taught a macro class last Thursday, and it was an excellent time. I am leading a field trip on May 19th, and teaching another macro class at the Photographic Symposium next weekend.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 04-30-2007 at 09:32 AM. Reason: typo
Views: 3,187
05-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
brackets

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Yes that is helpful, thanks. I've got a Manfrotto macro flash bracket, which lets you mount a flash to the left & right of the camera. It's quite handy with the wireless flashes, although you get some strange looks from people when walking around with it.
I may have to consider that one. I have a Stroboframe folding bracket, but I may consider a more dedicated unit. The folding one is fantastic for road trips, etc.

Cheers,
Marc

05-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
I may have to consider that one. I have a Stroboframe folding bracket, but I may consider a more dedicated unit. The folding one is fantastic for road trips, etc.

Cheers,
Marc
Marc, the macro flash bracket is the Manfrotto #390. I don't know if it is still being made or if there is an updated model. It is quite small and you can fold it up into a very compact size for transporting.

I could have gone into a workshop and borrowed a press to make a small macro bracket but the price of the #390 was less than it would have cost me. Plus the ability to mount dual flashes is quite handy. Plus I don't know anyone with a machine shop.
05-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #18
Bud
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, Mark... that's great! I love the colors and details, and, yes, it's nice to feel like spring is finally here.
I've been bitten by the macro bug... just haven't invested in a lens yet.

Thanks for sharing the shot and I look forward to seeing more.
05-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gorgeous purples and great DOF!

Hi Marc!

Been missing your elk!

I think it's really neat how butterfly eyes can sometimes give that hexagonal/octagonal highlight. Great capture. Bet you're kind of happy with this first macro of the year!

05-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bud Quote
Wow, Mark... that's great! I love the colors and details, and, yes, it's nice to feel like spring is finally here.
I've been bitten by the macro bug... just haven't invested in a lens yet.

Thanks for sharing the shot and I look forward to seeing more.
I appreciate the comments good sir...

Ask and ye shall receive... see below.

QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
Hi Marc!

Been missing your elk!

I think it's really neat how butterfly eyes can sometimes give that hexagonal/octagonal highlight. Great capture. Bet you're kind of happy with this first macro of the year!
Tracy!

What's up with you good lady??

I promise (as indicated earlier in this post) that my cabin retreat at the end of May will hopefully reap some rewards, if those Elk behave...

I'll post a new image in a new thread - I have others, just haven't gotten around to them yet.

Cheers,
Marc