Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
US Coast Guard over Hilton Head, SC
Posted By: GLThorne, 04-29-2007, 04:14 PM

Was down for a few days for a business meeting, and while on the beach, these guys came over. Still had the Tamron 18-200 on it at 200MM.

Hope you enjoy.....

Views: 2,441
05-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
First time I've had no comments. Let me know what could have made this "more".
05-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This forum moves quite fast nowdays and some posts slip through.
I like your photo of the helicopter but to make it "more" as you put it, maybe a bit slower shutter speed to get the rotors a bit more blurry.

Cheers

Eddie
05-07-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLThorne Quote
First time I've had no comments. Let me know what could have made this "more".
It's fine. I don't comment on every image posted. If we all did, we wouldn't have time for taking photos ourselves. I know what you mean, however. Lack of comments discourages me, at least, for wanting to expend the energy in post processing of pictures to make ready for posting here. Keep at it though. Even if they don't elicit comments, they are still nice to see.

One thing I would do is give the exposure/equipment info with the image. Even though I've been using SLR cameras for over thirty years, I still consider myself a student of the art and am still learning. By posting the data, it help teach me what I need to do if I were to try and create an image similar, or what to do in similar situations. Knowing the camera/lens/exposure information is most helpful to me.

What could make your image "more"? About the only thing I would try is to brighten the copter up a bit. It is in shadow, so the contrast is lower. But, you don't want to blast out the sky either. It would take a mask to isolate the helo, then brighten it a tad. Otherwise, the picture is just fine.

These are the kinds of pictures you will see hanging on the walls of the pilot's briefing room. Unless you are a real aviation buff, or a collector of this type of stuff, it isn't the type of image to excite the senses very much of the average person.

A slower shutter speed might be nice, but I suspect you didn't have much time to think about your settings before having to snap. This is a "photo of opportunity", as as such, have to take what you can grab real quick.

05-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #5

I wonder if those guys are out of Tybee Island or Charleston. They used to buzz us all the time out on Hunting Island when I lived in Beaufort. You'd be sitting on the beach, and they'd come from behind you just over the trees.