Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Off-Camera Flash
Posted By: maxwell1295, 06-23-2009, 06:24 PM

This is something I've been playing around with lately. In this case, I was shooting a cruise on big yacht that had a dance floor on the bottom deck. I normally use 2 flashes, one on a bracket and one on a stand with both flashes triggered by Cybersyncs. I decided to try something different here. I put a flash on either side of the dance floor, in opposite corners about 15 feet above the floor. There was no flash on the hotshoe. Again these were fired with the Cybersync trigger/receivers. I find this to be a pretty simple setup that allows for some interesting effects depending on where I stood in relation to the flashes.

Shot with K20D and DA*16-50 with 2 Nikon SB-20 flashes

Views: 1,391
06-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Damn Brit

They look pretty good Alan, I guess the issue with setting up like that is going to be the level of lighting in the venue.

The first one tickled me, the OOF legs, I guess she was only half drunk.
06-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
No, she was pretty lit. I did a fake tilt-shift blur effect on that on.

It was pretty dark, rendering the K20D AF useless. These were all manually focused. I think the flashes (which aren't very powerful) were on the 1/8 setting. For the most part I shot at F4 or so with shutter speeds anywhere between 1/90th and 1/30th, so it doesn't take much power to get good light. I was shooting at ISO400 so there's plenty of room to play with. The only limitation I find is the ability to focus accurately. The AF sucks and my eyes don't focus much better in the dark.
06-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

yar, I've found my camera to be the same. gives up the focus when it's really dark.
Although, if you mount an AF540FGZ, it fires off an infrared light that the camera pics up... and is then able to focus on. Did some wedding photos with that setup, but the AF540FGZ has to be on your hotshoe.

GREAT PHOTOS, by the way I'll have to try that setup sometime!!

06-23-2009, 11:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I likeit as its care free

cheers
06-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
yar, I've found my camera to be the same. gives up the focus when it's really dark.
Although, if you mount an AF540FGZ, it fires off an infrared light that the camera pics up... and is then able to focus on. Did some wedding photos with that setup, but the AF540FGZ has to be on your hotshoe.

GREAT PHOTOS, by the way I'll have to try that setup sometime!!
Thanks! I'm hoping the K7's focus assist lamp helps with low-light AF...

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
I likeit as its care free
Thanks Ivan....they were definitely care free that night!