Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bike Touring at Bike Virginia
Posted By: VaughnA, 06-24-2009, 04:30 PM

I dragged my K10D along on this years Bike Virginia Tour to see how it would go. 380 miles on a fixed gear bike with the wife. I carried it in a LowePro Ascent 100 lumbar pack which worked great and I think I got a few decent shots. We had a blast in the Charlottesville area with the horse farms and vineyards.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Views: 3,663
06-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
A few more...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo       
06-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Vaughn,

I haven't been on the forum much lately, and when I thought I'd take a quick look at some forum photos, I was pleasantly surprised to see your cycling post. You've posted some very nice shots! That tour looks like a lot of fun, especially with scenery like you've shown in your photos. I always wanted to participate in something like that, but a couple of century rides back in the early 80's is as close as I've come.

Are fixed gear bikes becoming pretty popular? I recently found out that my brother-in-law is riding a fixed gear bike to and from work every day, about 30 miles round trip. I guess the advantage is reduced weight?

Thanks for posting!
06-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

#4 is my favourite. Very good 3-D feel to it

06-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sajmmiller Quote
H

Are fixed gear bikes becoming pretty popular? I recently found out that my brother-in-law is riding a fixed gear bike to and from work every day, about 30 miles round trip. I guess the advantage is reduced weight?

Thanks for posting!
Thanks for the compliments. Fixies have been a fad for the last few years and I fell into the fad and was hooked. Weight usually has nothing to do with it, in fact, most fixies are steel and weigh more than a typical geared bike. For me it's the challenge and just feeling the lay of the land better than on a geared bike. On a nice rolling road you get a feeling of the land like no other bike. Of 3k miles I rode last year about 300 were on my geared bike. Kindof like manual vs fully auto.
06-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Vaughn,

Thanks for the explanation on the "fixies". Most interesting. I was thinking along the lines of the high-tech fixed-gear track bicycles, but it sounds like these are very different, and would let you really connect with your surroundings.
06-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sajmmiller Quote
Vaughn,

Thanks for the explanation on the "fixies". Most interesting. I was thinking along the lines of the high-tech fixed-gear track bicycles, but it sounds like these are very different, and would let you really connect with your surroundings.
Track bikes have different geometry, a road fixie has normal road geometry which isn't as twitchy. A true track bike won't have brakes, brakes are optional on the road. I ride in a very hilly area and need brakes to check my speed on the long downhills.
06-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just12hvFun Quote
#4 is my favourite. Very good 3-D feel to it
Thanks, nothing done but cropping, jpeg straight out of the camera. The football field lights made it perfect to get the tents brightly lit with the sunset. There were about 1000 tents in total. I wish I could have gotten a wider view of the field.