Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Moose
Posted By: Jimbo, 06-25-2009, 03:30 PM

Spotted this fellow while on a trip to Utah. I have about 50-60 shots I am still going through from this area. These are just two quick ones to post while I work on many others. Some awesome landscape shots too. Will post soon. JIM

Views: 4,300
07-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Hi Mark, I understand they are quite large, and cantankerous.

Was it on this site I saw a picture of a moose mounting a statue somewhere??.....poor ol moose.
It was here on this forum...

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
I have never seen one in the flesh, not from the want of trying, and have therefore sort of allowed it to become an obsession of mine (to photograph a moose that is ). I think they are a magnificent animal and look forward to the day I get one in the viewfinder.
Hi Grant,

During the rut the males are dangerous, as are the females with calves.

As you probably know, having a healthy respect for wild animals is always the best policy. I normally carry a large knife with me for brush clearing an area if needed (doubles as protection), but it always depends on where I might be going.

I have encountered (by accident) a female moose while in Algonquin Park in Canada. I was walking the canoe through a shallows area and I didn't hear the female foraging for tender shoots just on the other side of the fallen tree. She was hidden by the foliage/brush until I came directly into her view just 20 feet away...

That tree was the only thing between my canoe, an old camping buddy and potential harm. I told Rob to sit quiet and luckily we were down wind. Their eye sight is poor (similar to a Rhino) but their olfactory senses are excellent. That's the only reason why she didn't smell us (down wind). Every time I moved, her head popped up from her foraging. Problem is that I didn't know if she had a calf and didn't see one, so I had to be very slow in moving. I squatted down and managed to finally exit her line of sight. This was not a time to pull out the camera - too risky since she could clear the tree with those long legs and run both Rob and I down in short order. Another risk that this large mammal poses is if it wanders onto a road or highway just to cross it. It's height means that if you hit it with a vehicle, you run the real risk of knocking that 1/2 ton body up onto your hood and impacting directly into your windshield. Surviving a moose impact in your vehicle is not a high percentage...

Jim, sorry for the tangent, but I thought it was a good opportunity to talk about this.

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 07-02-2009 at 04:23 PM.
07-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Jim, sorry for the tangent, but I thought it was a good opportunity to talk about this.

Regards,
Marc
Good story. Thanks for sharing Marc. The rut is the worse time to come up on any moose, elk or even a deer. They are just a different animal all together. JIM
07-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Marc,
Very useful info to store in the grey matter for the 'inevitable' meeting.

I am not unfamiliar with being around animals, both domestic & wild, so I hear what you're saying.
I guess a big difference between the animals we come across in Australia(kangaroos, emus, koala etc) is that our animals are highly unlikely to do you much harm if you do get too close. The Kangaroo can inflict serious injury by holding you with his front paws and then using his large hind legs, potentially fatal but very rare. The 'roo is very smart, if attacked by dingo or dogs and near water he will go into the water to about 'knee' deep and lure the dingo/dog in after him.....at which point the dingo/dog has to swim, making it very easy for the 'roo to then hold the attacker under water and drown it. Many a farmer has rued the loss of a good but errant working dog by this method.

Emus can kick the crap out of you but again reports are rare.

Thanks again, very helpful.
Cheers
Grant
07-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Good story. Thanks for sharing Marc. The rut is the worse time to come up on any moose, elk or even a deer. They are just a different animal all together. JIM
Jim,
Apologies if this info is listed, but what lens and how far from your subject were you?
Cheers
Grant

07-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Jim,
Apologies if this info is listed, but what lens and how far from your subject were you?
Cheers
Grant
Grant. Shot with my Sigam 70-200 2.8 and I was about 30 feet away. [would have been nice to have about a 300mm] Slightly copped on all the photo's. JIM