Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Macros of Assassins (killers)
Posted By: Marc Langille, 06-27-2009, 09:46 AM

Crab Spider:

Harvestman carrying Ladybug prey:

Harvestman are related to spiders, but have no venom. They belong to the Arachnid class, but the closest relatives are mites or scorpion family (disputed).

Harvestman extracting "nutrients":

Cicada Killer:

Cicada killer wasps (the genus Sphecius speciosus) are large, solitary, ground dwelling, predatory wasps. They are so named because they hunt cicadas and provision their nests with them, after stinging and paralyzing them. Normally the females hunt Cicadas and are the larger than the males. This insect was quite large! This one was almost 2 inches in length.

I hope you enjoy them!

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 06-27-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Views: 3,552
07-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Unbelievable Marc! More gore than any horror flick I've seen--especially here: Harvestman extracting "nutrients":
Jewelltrail, thanks for looking and hopefully if you look closer, there is actual movement of fluids within the feeding behavior.

Quote:
Many species are omnivorous, eating primarily small insects and all kinds of plant material and fungi; some are scavengers, feeding upon dead organisms, bird dung and other fecal material. This broad range is quite unusual in arachnids, which are usually pure predators. Most hunting harvestmen ambush their prey, although active hunting is also found. Because their eyes cannot form images, they use their second pair of legs as antennae to explore their environment. Also unlike most other arachnids, harvestmen do not have a sucking stomach and a filtering mechanism, but ingest small particles of their food, thus making them vulnerable to internal parasites, such as gregarines.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Neat shots Marc. From the Fun Facts Department:

Cicada killers do not have a large enough wing area to lift their own weight plus that of their prey to fly back to the nest. If in the act of capturing and immobilizing a Cicada she falls to the ground (quite common), the wasp will drag herself and her prey to a nearby tree and climb just high enough so that she can make a descending flight to her burrow.

How she knows how high to climb (the farther from her nest the higher she must climb) is one of nature's grand mysteries.
Thanks Paul for looking and commenting - hope all is well! I've only seen them a few times - not that often. Thanks for the fact sheet about how they deal with prey!

Cheers,
Marc

07-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #32
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
See, it's insidious... must have 200mm... Seriously, thanks for the kind words and CONGRATS - that is awesome! Now you need to see how tiny it can resolve - please take a look at my Hover Fly macro post.

BTW, I have no problem resolving the RGB within the white pixel on my computer screen with the FA* 200/4 Macro from 11-12 inches away, hand held. That's pretty good in terms of optical clarity, but it's the reach that makes the difference. I am not saying the 200's are better, but the reach can often be the make or break on getting the photo if you come too close to the subject and they flee.

Let me know if you need a protection clause or something similar drawn up from the significant other... Do we need to call your house later on, after you break the news??
Thanks Marc! I am looking forward to getting my hands on it and seeing what it can do. I hope to have it by next weekend. It still amazes me how quick and easy it is to buy something on the other side of the globe and have it a few days later. By the way, here it is. Matsuiya strikes again.

And I'm serious about the Spring workshop. I've been following the Utah Workshop thread with great interest. I have family business to attend to in Tennessee in September which takes precedence otherwise I'd drive out. Showing my wife the American Southwest in a leisurely fashion is high on my list of things to do. By the way, this lens purchase will require me to schedule one vacation to a place of her choosing - I heard her mention something about New Zealand…
07-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jem Quote
Thanks Marc! I am looking forward to getting my hands on it and seeing what it can do. I hope to have it by next weekend. It still amazes me how quick and easy it is to buy something on the other side of the globe and have it a few days later. By the way, here it is. Matsuiya strikes again.
Beautiful condition! Don't go look at the price I paid for my FA* version in the Lens Reviews... you might hate me...

And I'm serious about the Spring workshop. I've been following the Utah Workshop thread with great interest. I have family business to attend to in Tennessee in September which takes precedence otherwise I'd drive out. Showing my wife the American Southwest in a leisurely fashion is high on my list of things to do. By the way, this lens purchase will require me to schedule one vacation to a place of her choosing - I heard her mention something about New Zealand…
Awesome and thank you - I saw your post showing interest in a 2010 workshop! BTW, if interest continues to move forward, I will hold a second workshop in Utah and seriously consider somewhere in the Eastern half of the US in the spring of 2010. I am checking on interest to hold one in Australia too.

Regards,
Marc
07-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #34
jem

Beautiful condition! Don't go look at the price I paid for my FA* version in the Lens Reviews... you might hate me...
Yes, I saw your good fortune. But no worries there - I paid exactly what the lens is worth to me. I do kick myself for missing that time period I keep reading about where good Pentax glass wasn't so high priced and so rare. I had stepped away from Pentax in the early 90's and have only recently returned to the fold. Kept all my older glass and my LX though but I've been doing a lot of catch up.

Awesome and thank you - I saw your post showing interest in a 2010 workshop! BTW, if interest continues to move forward, I will hold a second workshop in Utah and seriously consider somewhere in the Eastern half of the US in the spring of 2010. I am checking on interest to hold one in Australia too.
Oh crap - Australia - and just last Thursday I was campaigning for a tech support/training visit with a client there… You’re making it hard for me – or maybe easier – Australia is close to New Zealand right? Just a minute Marc, (steps away from the computer) ... Honey, what do you think of visiting Australia? ...

Seriously, I will be first in line for a Eastern US workshop when you announce it - though Australia is mighty tempting!.

07-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, I saw your good fortune. But no worries there - I paid exactly what the lens is worth to me. I do kick myself for missing that time period I keep reading about where good Pentax glass wasn't so high priced and so rare. I had stepped away from Pentax in the early 90's and have only recently returned to the fold. Kept all my older glass and my LX though but I've been doing a lot of catch up.

Oh crap - Australia - and just last Thursday I was campaigning for a tech support/training visit with a client there… You’re making it hard for me – or maybe easier – Australia is close to New Zealand right? Just a minute Marc, (steps away from the computer) ... Honey, what do you think of visiting Australia? ...

Seriously, I will be first in line for a Eastern US workshop when you announce it - though Australia is mighty tempting!.
See, you can do both - an excuse to travel to Oz...

Yes, that FA* 200/4 was the last one in excellent condition after Henry's nabbed the first 3 and sold them on Ebay for several hundred more than mine back in 2006. Watching those auctions killed me... However, the nice lady at Pentax Canada "hooked me up".

Actually my brother lived for 13 years in NZ, so if you need some insider information, let me know. He was a big "tramping" enthusiast (term for specialized hiking used by Kiwis: Tramping in New Zealand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. He was taking off 3-4 week trips to Oz, etc. by working lots of overtime and then "poof" - gone on a trip for extended periods.

Regards,
Marc
07-12-2009, 08:15 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent details!
I like #2 the most.
07-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Joni! Hope you are doing well.

Regards,