Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Hover Fly macros
Posted By: Marc Langille, 06-27-2009, 09:51 AM

Spiderworts are quite small - perhaps 3-4cm across. I am almost 2 feet away when I took this shot. It was under heavy overcast skies and beneath a forest canopy, so flash was mandatory! Used the K10D, ISO 100, F/16, 200mm, EV +1.5 (it was REALLY dark) with AF540 plus Sto-Fen flash diffuser. Tripod, but no cabled remote.

Hoverfly on Spiderwort:

Link to the EXIF data.

Considering the subject (the fly is not even the length of my thumbnail), the details came out quite well. I did a light sharpening to resolve the compound eye structure on the fly a bit more. These are crops, but are still over 2200+ pixels on the long side.

Crop for more details:

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 07-01-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Views: 5,469
07-12-2009, 07:53 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Epic truly a wonder of photography

cheers
Thank you Nick - sincerely appreciated.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Teach me obiwan !! Great captures as always Marc.
Dave, thank you and very kind words!

However, this lens will teach YOU a lot about photography due to the type of lens it is. I can only give guidance. This focal length has a learning curve, but once you understand it, results tend to follow quickly and sometimes with breathtaking images.

Regards,
Marc

07-13-2009, 05:35 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Not sure if you noticed the EXIF links and the comments? Actual dimensions were not mentioned, but I stated that they are still (just) over 2200 pixels on the long side below the images.
Yes, I noticed that but didn't ask the question right. I guess what I want to know is how many pixels wide the original image is, to have a better idea of how much you cropped off to get 2200 pixels. Of course I could just go and look up the dimensions of K10 files someplace! Being lazy...

QuoteQuote:
I chose the Sto-Fen simply because it's tough thick plastic
That's the best recommendation as far as I'm concerned! I tend to be a little careless with the flash, I don't notice where it is and bang it into things, so I wouldn't want a flimsy or loosely attached diffuser.

Did you say whether you had the flash on the camera or a bracket? I may have missed that...

Thanks again for the inspiration, I was out on the weekend with the macro having fun. It's not a drool-worthy FA*200 but it's a pretty darn nice lens, so I had fun even if my images aren't as brilliant as yours!

Julie
07-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
Yes, I noticed that but didn't ask the question right. I guess what I want to know is how many pixels wide the original image is, to have a better idea of how much you cropped off to get 2200 pixels. Of course I could just go and look up the dimensions of K10 files someplace! Being lazy...
Normally the full size is 3875 pixels on the long side.

That's the best recommendation as far as I'm concerned! I tend to be a little careless with the flash, I don't notice where it is and bang it into things, so I wouldn't want a flimsy or loosely attached diffuser.

Did you say whether you had the flash on the camera or a bracket? I may have missed that...

Thanks again for the inspiration, I was out on the weekend with the macro having fun. It's not a drool-worthy FA*200 but it's a pretty darn nice lens, so I had fun even if my images aren't as brilliant as yours!

Julie
Agreed about the Sto-Fen = less concern about it being damaged.

The flash was hot shoe mounted, IIRC... otherwise a cable extension off the hot shoe and handheld the flash. Sorry, not certain...

Regards,
Marc
07-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marc, those shots are amazing!! So much to learn, and thank you for your technical description!!

07-21-2009, 06:19 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Normally the full size is 3875 pixels on the long side.
Thanks for enabling my laziness!

QuoteQuote:
The flash was hot shoe mounted, IIRC... otherwise a cable extension off the hot shoe and handheld the flash. Sorry, not certain...
At least that narrows it down to only two possibilities. Wait... there are only two possibilities! Actually, you could have been using a bracket. I've been using one, and can't decide if it improves the lighting or just gets in the way! I often do just hold the flash off to one side if I'm using a tripod, glad I'm not the only one! Thanks for the answers.

Julie
07-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Marc, those shots are amazing!! So much to learn, and thank you for your technical description!!
My honor Rense.

Thanks for enabling my laziness!

At least that narrows it down to only two possibilities. Wait... there are only two possibilities! Actually, you could have been using a bracket. I've been using one, and can't decide if it improves the lighting or just gets in the way! I often do just hold the flash off to one side if I'm using a tripod, glad I'm not the only one! Thanks for the answers.

Julie
I sold that bracket some time ago! Experience decided that a cable extension had the most flexibility for my needs.

Regards,
Marc
07-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Ok, Marc, I expect you to show us how to get macro's like this in UT. JIM

07-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I shall do my best Jim!