Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Hover Fly macros
Posted By: Marc Langille, 06-27-2009, 09:51 AM

Spiderworts are quite small - perhaps 3-4cm across. I am almost 2 feet away when I took this shot. It was under heavy overcast skies and beneath a forest canopy, so flash was mandatory! Used the K10D, ISO 100, F/16, 200mm, EV +1.5 (it was REALLY dark) with AF540 plus Sto-Fen flash diffuser. Tripod, but no cabled remote.

Hoverfly on Spiderwort:

Link to the EXIF data.

Considering the subject (the fly is not even the length of my thumbnail), the details came out quite well. I did a light sharpening to resolve the compound eye structure on the fly a bit more. These are crops, but are still over 2200+ pixels on the long side.

Crop for more details:

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 07-01-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Views: 5,471
06-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I need some bugs to hold still long enough to learn how to get that nice shot. Great DOF figured out. Fantastic detail on the head. What lens and settings were you using?
06-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great sharpness and i love the light. Didn you just use a large softener for it?

Heres one of my early attempts: . on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The magnification is so huge because im using a reversed lens less than an inch away from the subject, but i think the bare flash from above gives it a weird look.
06-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Beautiful Marc. Excellent sharpness and depth of field! I guess you used your Pentax 200mm macro for these? Makes me want to get my hands on a nikkor 200 mm macro for my system.

06-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I need some bugs to hold still long enough to learn how to get that nice shot. Great DOF figured out. Fantastic detail on the head. What lens and settings were you using?
Unfortunately they (Hoverflies) often move about a fair bit, so I lucked out on this one. The canopy is so dense that the groupings of flowering plants on the forest floor makes is sparse and therefore easier to find activity.

I've added a link to the EXIF in the original post. Used the K10D, ISO 100, F/16, 200mm, EV +1.5 (it was REALLY dark) with AF540 plus Sto-fen flash diffuser. Tripod of course. No cabled remote.

Thanks for the comments!

Regards,
Marc
06-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
Great sharpness and i love the light. Didn you just use a large softener for it?

Heres one of my early attempts: . on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The magnification is so huge because im using a reversed lens less than an inch away from the subject, but i think the bare flash from above gives it a weird look.
Hi Isaac,

It's just a basic setup - added the comments into the original post. I appreciate the very kind words!

Regards,
Marc

QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
Beautiful Marc. Excellent sharpness and depth of field! I guess you used your Pentax 200mm macro for these? Makes me want to get my hands on a nikkor 200 mm macro for my system.
Thanks Kent - hope you are doing well? You are correct on the lens used. Get that Nikkor lens and discover a whole new realm!! It does take a learning curve, which makes it both fun and a challenge...

Sent you a PM.

Regards,
Marc
06-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #7

Nice ones Marc, I really like them. I am surprised to find out that you use a tripod for such photos; for me they just slow me down too much and I let the flash stop the camera shake. Nice stuff.

06-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Great images Marc and you can now hand that lens over!! Thanks for the insight on your set up. I just purchased the 540 flash for marco work. [/ Marco/ next attempt at improving my photography] That lens is so sharp and the colors are awesome. Well done. JIM
06-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Darren M Quote
Nice ones Marc, I really like them. I am surprised to find out that you use a tripod for such photos; for me they just slow me down too much and I let the flash stop the camera shake. Nice stuff.
Hey Darren! Hope your side of the world is doing well? How is the young one?

Normally I would not use a tripod in this instance - I agree with you. I will use the flash and handhold as you stated to mitigate camera shake. However, they were getting a tad overloaded on nectar, so drunken Hoverflies are easy targets...

Keep in touch on this forum!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Great images Marc and you can now hand that lens over!! Thanks for the insight on your set up. I just purchased the 540 flash for marco work. [/ Marco/ next attempt at improving my photography] That lens is so sharp and the colors are awesome. Well done. JIM
Well Jim, you gotta come down next week to here to get the FA* 200/4 macro: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/gatherings-events-photo-trips/64508-holla...nterested.html.

As stated in my response to Darren, these guys were a tad drunk on nectar... I really appreciate the kind words Jim!

Regards,
Marc
06-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Well Jim, you gotta come down next week to here to get the FA* 200/4 macro: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/g...nterested.html.
just booked my airline ticket. Where you picking me up? Have a great trip Marc and I can hardly wait to see your images from the trip. I do keep looking on e bay for that lens. which lenses are you taking. Shooting the canon too? cheers JIM
06-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
just booked my airline ticket. Where you picking me up? Have a great trip Marc and I can hardly wait to see your images from the trip. I do keep looking on e bay for that lens. which lenses are you taking. Shooting the canon too? cheers JIM
Northwest Arkansas Regional airport or Tulsa. NWA airport is much closer - only 35 minutes away.

No Canon gear - returned to the sponsors. I am shooting only Pentax now. I am taking the FA* 300/2.8 (plus the 1.4x and 1.7x AF TCs) and the FA* 200/4 macro, in addition to my usual landscape lenses of choice (DA 12-24, 50-200, and Tamron 28-75/2.8), Wimberley plamps, diffusers, tripod, binos, mesh camo gear, boonie hat, bean bag, hip waders, etc., etc.

Cheers,
Marc
06-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Northwest Arkansas Regional airport or Tulsa. NWA airport is much closer - only 35 minutes away.

No Canon gear - returned to the sponsors. I am shooting only Pentax now. I am taking the FA* 300/2.8 (plus the 1.4x and 1.7x AF TCs) and the FA* 200/4 macro, in addition to my usual landscape lenses of choice (DA 12-24, 50-200, and Tamron 28-75/2.8), Wimberley plamps, diffusers, tripod, binos, mesh camo gear, boonie hat, bean bag, hip waders, etc., etc.

Cheers,
Marc
Asa they say "good hunting Marc" wish I wqas there learning from thr best. JIM
06-28-2009, 04:54 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Jim! At least it won't be almost 100F this week!

Heat + humidity like that coupled with biting insects is a miserable combination...
06-28-2009, 05:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Great photos Marc! Wonderful details.
These are really hard to shoot when they are flying btw
06-28-2009, 05:24 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Super job, Marc . . . . and thanks for the technical description of your technique.

Again, great images.

Jer