Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Hover Fly macros
Posted By: Marc Langille, 06-27-2009, 09:51 AM

Spiderworts are quite small - perhaps 3-4cm across. I am almost 2 feet away when I took this shot. It was under heavy overcast skies and beneath a forest canopy, so flash was mandatory! Used the K10D, ISO 100, F/16, 200mm, EV +1.5 (it was REALLY dark) with AF540 plus Sto-Fen flash diffuser. Tripod, but no cabled remote.

Hoverfly on Spiderwort:

Link to the EXIF data.

Considering the subject (the fly is not even the length of my thumbnail), the details came out quite well. I did a light sharpening to resolve the compound eye structure on the fly a bit more. These are crops, but are still over 2200+ pixels on the long side.

Crop for more details:

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 07-01-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Views: 5,477
06-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #16

Stunning hovers Marc.

06-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrok Quote
Great photos Marc! Wonderful details.
These are really hard to shoot when they are flying btw
Hey Joni, hope you are doing well!

I agree about them being tough to photograph in flight. They are so damn small and they can flit about quite quickly! Thanks for looking and commenting.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Super job, Marc . . . . and thanks for the technical description of your technique.

Again, great images.

Jer
My honor Jer - thanks for the comments!

BTW, I will probably consider a road trip within the year to Texas. Not sure yet if I am going to participate in the VLF competition again (only every 2 years), but the Coastal Bend region sure looks nice! It depends on several things...

Regards,
Marc
06-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Marc, I have taken hoverfly pictures and some of them came out not too bad but after looking at yours here I think I need another lens. LOL :-) Thanks for posting them.
07-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chirpy Quote
Stunning hovers Marc.
Thank you - I've added a crop to better show details!

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Hi Marc, I have taken hoverfly pictures and some of them came out not too bad but after looking at yours here I think I need another lens. LOL :-) Thanks for posting them.
If mine wasn't so rare, I'd send it to you for a test spin - you've done well with the diopter close up lens on the 50-200!

Guess you'll have to come visit instead...

Cheers,
Marc

07-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #20
JMR
Veteran Member

Looks your flower gives off ultraviolet light, or is that the true colour of the flower? No matter, great images.

JMR
07-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, yeah, great stuff. This guys can be hard to nab.

EDIT: "these guys" I mean. Doh!

Last edited by rparmar; 07-05-2009 at 06:15 PM.
07-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Looks your flower gives off ultraviolet light, or is that the true colour of the flower? No matter, great images.

JMR
Hi JMR, your comment about the color had me wondering, so I went back and checked the RAW file. I can confirm that it is the color (violet/blue) of that variety of spiderwort.

Note that it is a bit lighter in color in the RAW file. The WB shows to be at 5900K, which was the temp captured when the flash fired. That color was washed out a fair bit due to the warmth of the WB. I reduced it to 5500K and it was much closer to the real color of this spiderwort. I've seen purple, pink, blue and many other color varieties here.

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Wow, yeah, great stuff. This guys can be hard to nab.
I appreciate it Robin - thanks for looking!

Regards,
Marc

07-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #23
Veteran Member

You are going to cost me some serious money one day, Marc! I just can't do that with a 90mm macro. Of course I probably can't do it with a 200mm macro, either, but at least I can try!

Awesome how much you can get from 2 ft away. You mentioned they're crops, by how much? If I were 2 ft away with the 90mm, the fly would be a teeny speck...

I've been experimenting with fill flash for macros, and really enjoying the little boost of shutter speed/dof it gives me. I should get/make a diffuser, though. You've got lovely natural-looking light there.

As much as I love my Tokina, I'd love to get my paws on a good 200mm. Out of my league at the moment, but some day...

Lovely images as always, thanks for the inspiration (and envy...).

Julie
07-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
You are going to cost me some serious money one day, Marc! I just can't do that with a 90mm macro. Of course I probably can't do it with a 200mm macro, either, but at least I can try!
That's the point of LBA, right...???

Awesome how much you can get from 2 ft away. You mentioned they're crops, by how much? If I were 2 ft away with the 90mm, the fly would be a teeny speck...
Not sure if you noticed the EXIF links and the comments? Actual dimensions were not mentioned, but I stated that they are still (just) over 2200 pixels on the long side below the images.

Or did I misundertand your comment and you wanted to see the entire image, uncropped? Forgive me if I did not understand in the sentences above.

I've been experimenting with fill flash for macros, and really enjoying the little boost of shutter speed/dof it gives me. I should get/make a diffuser, though. You've got lovely natural-looking light there.

As much as I love my Tokina, I'd love to get my paws on a good 200mm. Out of my league at the moment, but some day...

Lovely images as always, thanks for the inspiration (and envy...).

Julie
I chose the Sto-Fen simply because it's tough thick plastic and packs nicely. Necessary criteria for travel, etc.

Thanks Julie - much appreciated by those very kind words!

Regards,
Marc
07-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #25
Veteran Member

What stunning pictures!

I am sorely tempted to consign my photo gear to the recycling bin.

Mickey
07-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
What stunning pictures!

I am sorely tempted to consign my photo gear to the recycling bin.

Mickey
Mickey, thank you very much for the kind words!! Please enjoy them and take photos that make you happy. This is not a comparison contest...

Regards,
Marc
07-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Amazing quality shots! Artistic too! The last crop is stunning!
So this is the famous FA*200mm, I assume?
07-12-2009, 04:36 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Epic truly a wonder of photography

cheers
07-12-2009, 07:18 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Teach me obiwan !! Great captures as always Marc.
07-12-2009, 07:51 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Amazing quality shots! Artistic too! The last crop is stunning!
So this is the famous FA*200mm, I assume?
Thank you Georg - that's why I do not simply take photos of the hairy heads of insects. Nothing against those folks who do this - for me it's too straightforward and becomes dull for me. Besides, I can only take so many hairy heads... The real challenge is finding an angle and getting artistic value from the shots. A combination of details AND beauty is actually a sometimes challenging task.

You are correct about your question - this is indeed the FA* 200/4 Macro. The one in the Lens Review DB is in fact a picture of mine... I put up a comparison photo to show the size difference between the FA 100/2.8 and the FA* 200/4 macro lenses in the Wolf Spider with Spiderlings post (page 2, IIRC?). For you reference, here it is again:

Based on the threats/offers/cajoling on the FA* 200/4 Macro from the Utah Photography Workshop participants, I may have to leave it at home... what to do??

Cheers,
Marc