Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
model head shots
Posted By: rjburgos, 06-29-2009, 04:57 AM

doing head shots for a model last weekend.
model: Pia
camera: k100D[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Views: 3,166
06-29-2009, 05:14 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Striking model.

I like, though there are pesky dust spots noticeable in #1 and 3, #1's a touch underexposed (though has a beautiful pose), #2's light source is either a little too close or not diffused as much as I'd like, and #3's got just a little too much shadow over the left side of her face for my liking.

Perhaps a 2 light setup would help - but that's just my opinion...
Great job.
Lots of potential there...
06-29-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
lovely model.
werry nice framing, I enjoy photos that are croped tight light this.

IMO, your light is not high enough.. It looks like you are trying to do a rembrandt lightsetup.. And looking at the nouse shadows, shows that the light was just a bit highter then her head (last image).. Placing the light higher up will create better, and cleaner looking shadows.

The seccond image shows that the light was sett lower then her.. creating shadow cast that goes upwards. And I think if the light was higher up it would bring forward her pritty eyes better.
06-29-2009, 05:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks so much ash and devisor....
was experimenting with the lights....yup you are both of you are dead on correct with the assesment of the pics..the lights were at level and not high enough and too close....and darn those pesky dust on my sensor...might have it cleaned soon...

06-29-2009, 05:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rjburgos Quote
thanks so much ash and devisor....
was experimenting with the lights....yup you are both of you are dead on correct with the assesment of the pics..the lights were at level and not high enough and too close....and darn those pesky dust on my sensor...might have it cleaned soon...
Nothing wrong to having the light close.. the closer the light is the smoother it will feather. Larger distanse will make harder shadows try it with a candle light.
06-29-2009, 05:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sorry but I'm gonna be a little critical here...
The lights look a little too low placement wise. On photo 1, the catchlights in her eyes show the small flashgun that you used on camera right. It is quite distracting and should be cloned out. The shadow cast from her right hand just intrudes. Needs a contrast/levels adjustment to add more snap to the photo.

Photo 2 has incomplete catchlights due to light placement.
In Photo 3, I'd like to see the whites of her right eye so she doesn't look to stern. Camera position seems a higher than necessary. Some halation on left edge of frame. Background not seamless and there are noticeable dust spots that need to be cloned away.
Good effort, keep it up.
06-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #7

Original Poster
thanks for the advice creampuff and devisor, will try a different set up next time
07-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #8

Original Poster
well still experimenting on my lighting...will be careful on the angles of the lights your tips are noted