Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
"Way home" - C&C please.
Posted By: ilya80, 06-29-2009, 11:46 AM

Hello fellow Pentaxians,

There is a topic on another forum recently named "your biggest photographic challenge". Well, for a long time now my challenge has been going from intuition to creativity. That is - not just waiting for the moment to witness and then capturing it, but creating the picture from your mind's eye.

This shot I completely envisioned many times while cycling back home before I took it. C&C please.

Shot with Pentax ME Super & Cosina 55mm 1:1.2 @ 1.2

--
Thanks, Ilya.
Views: 1,895
06-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was trying to figure out what it was about this image that gave it such a vintage feel. The bike? The bricks? No... something about the grain... oh! Shot with an ME Super! It's film! Note to self - load up a film body and shoot some film! What film are you using, by the way?

As for the image itself - I like the idea (or at least what I assume your idea was), but it might work better if the viewpoint were from the bike, rather than to one side. Also, this may simply be because I'm not fond of petunias, but I find the flowers a bit distracting. There's the pink/green side of the frame, and the blue side, and it sort of seems like two photos as a result. On the left side there's a fantastic tonal match between the bike and the road, and the road is so deliciously out of focus... it works so well on its own, the rather garish petunias unbalance the whole thing. That's the way it works in my brain, anyway. I hope that helps!

Julie
06-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for input, I really ought to read some books on composition and stuff!

This is Fuji Superia, ASA 200.

Thinking of buying 2nd hand scanner recently since shooting film now costs more then digital, and money go quick considering I fancy it so much.
06-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Thanks for input, I really ought to read some books on composition and stuff!
Don't put too much stock in my opinions on composition - I'm just giving my gut reaction with rather little formal training behind it!

I used a fair bit of Fuji film in the past, and really liked how it rendered blues and greens, I think that's showing up here even through being scanned and shown on a monitor. Interesting.

06-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I share the same opinion: May be better if taken from the driver's seat while it's on the move

Would be even better if taken with a wide angle lens like the DA 12-24

Just my 2 cents worth
06-30-2009, 12:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ilya,
I do understand what the others are saying and in a way I think that they're right. In a way I also think that they're wrong.

In my opinion the flowers would work better, if they were motion blurred. Like they really would be on a ride.
You'd also see them further ahead, not right beside you.

In addition you aren't likely to see the front wheel while riding, The handle bars yes, but you'd be focused on the road ahead, so they'd even be blurry

You would usually see more of the horizon, plus there's a good chance you'd be focused on something ahead. Like another rider, or even the stop sign coming up.

Now you may be questioning, how can you get such a photo safely
In my opinion the easiest way would be to duct tape a monopod to the bicycle, and use a remote to trigger the camera.
You'd probably want to use Auto Bracketing, and hope for the best.

Good luck with it.
06-30-2009, 01:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the input!

06-30-2009, 05:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Everybody commenting has a different take on this idea. I suspect we're imagining very different things from what you saw in your mind's eye, and the various suggestions might evoke a very different feeling than you intended. Motion blur is fun, but I rather like the suggestion in the image as taken that you're taking a little rest on the way home, enjoying the flowers. Hm, if you're stopping to enjoy the flowers, then they really need to be there, even though I find they unbalance the image. And if you're stopping for a rest, then the off-the-bike point of view may make sense, although it might help to see that it's resting against something. I'm just "thinking with my fingers" here, writing random thoughts... so obviously the image has been successful in getting me thinking! And now I want to go for a bike ride with my camera and see what opportunities arise, if only it weren't so grey and rainy. Thanks for the inspiration!

Julie
06-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
JMR
Veteran Member

I like the image quite a bit. Sometimes we see and learn unconciously. And after review, we may see something that makes us realize how we personally see and what interests us. To me, this shot conveys a sense of romance and adventure, but the everyday whimsical kind, where we just want to go down the road and see what lies ahead. The soft, blurry street and sidewalk lines, and the fence lines (which are more implied), just carry the eye out of the image, having rested and seen a beautiful spot. You must be on vacation, rascal!

JMR