Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A Feast Fit For A Spider
Posted By: MightyMike, 06-30-2009, 08:45 PM

Saw this spider on the window this morning, he was kind enough to let me take photos while he ate.

Views: 1,372
06-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow lucky you! Found such an exotic spider. All I've seen around here are boring ants, small yellow sac spiders...and the occasional house centipede.
06-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MightyMike that is one neat hairy dude and you really captured the eyes, most of them anyway, in those shots. What lens and settings if you dont mind giving out your secrets?
06-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
MightyMike that is one neat hairy dude and you really captured the eyes, most of them anyway, in those shots. What lens and settings if you dont mind giving out your secrets?
Exif data is on the images, he was shooting at 200mm, we'll have to wait for his answer on the actual lens.

Nice work Mike,were you using the onboard flash or off camera flash?

06-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I really like the first and third one... great job!
06-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Exif data is on the images, he was shooting at 200mm, we'll have to wait for his answer on the actual lens.

Uh...I knew that.

I have not gotten it through my head that you shoot the tiny critters at f/22 with a flash in spite of the fact that most lens tests show the optics falling apart by f/22. It sure looks nice to get that DOF in these shots.
06-30-2009, 10:51 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Great larger-than-life captures.
I've never balked on using f/32 on my macro lens when needed - results still come out sharp as a tack...
06-30-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Great larger-than-life captures.
I've never balked on using f/32 on my macro lens when needed - results still come out sharp as a tack...
I spent too much time reading reviews and no time shooting macros until last week. But I live in this forum now so I can change spots.

07-01-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Wow lucky you! Found such an exotic spider. All I've seen around here are boring ants, small yellow sac spiders...and the occasional house centipede.
Thanks Pete, but you just have to open your eyes, jumping spiders are almost always on the move and around the house... at least in my area
07-01-2009, 07:09 AM   #10
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
Thanks Damn Brit, Imtheguy, Andi Lo and Ash.

The setup is Pentax K20D, DA50-200, F22 and F32, Sigma EF500 Flash with Gary Fong Light Sphere II Cloud Diffuser... as for sharpness, do an experiment for yourself about diffraction, a shot of lets say a landscape or a piecs of cloth furnature of a pets hair in a bit of distance. these shot at F22 and up will not look good due to diffraction as they have fine detail and diffraction destroys fine detail. however a spider and fly at a very close range doesn't have any fine detail anymore because its so magnified and therefore diffraction isn't all that noticable.
07-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I was guessing it's the 50-200... I wonder if yours is sharper than mine? Time to whip out that Raynox I guess.

Oh wait, despite it being summer, it will be raining for the whole week here. Thanks Halifax!