Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The one that got away
Posted By: photolady95, 06-30-2009, 09:08 PM

This one just ticked me off. I was down near my house shooting some scenics on the water and this egret flew right up from his/her hiding place. I didn't have time to focus, so I just pointed hoping I had it in focus but you can see it's not. Next time I'll be more prepared.

Views: 1,263
07-01-2009, 12:29 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wildlife is out there to frustrate the photographer...
I take my hat off to those who do it for a living!
I wouldn't have the patience!
07-01-2009, 01:06 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, had I been more aware, I'd have shot this bird. As it was, he was just to the right of me, in the shallow waters edge. I moved closer to the water and up he flew. As I was just setting up, I didn't have time to adjust settings, focus and shoot.

But I like shooting birds. I've got a new tripod head coming my way this week, so maybe or perhaps, later this week, I'll catch him.
07-01-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All the best in that!
Look forward to seeing him up close and personal.

07-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I hear you and feel your pain. I don't know how many of these I've missed, but they vastly out number (I mean by orders of magnitude) the ones I've hit.

Jer
07-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I hear you and feel your pain. I don't know how many of these I've missed, but they vastly out number (I mean by orders of magnitude) the ones I've hit.

Jer
Thanks Jer, I feel a bit better now I know I'm not the only one missed a good shot.

I've got a new tripod head in shipment to me, it will be here tomorrow. Hopefully, I won't miss any great number of these shots.
07-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

That is the story of my heron/egret shooting. If I even see one he flies away and of course is out of focus. Good hunting next time.

07-02-2009, 04:33 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Scott for another "you're not alone, missed bird shots." I'm starting to feel a lot better.
07-02-2009, 04:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Oh don't I understand you on this one!!! I was out meeting a client yesterday and had only the lenses I'd use for a wedding with me. The longest being a 200mm f2.8 On the way to her house I spotted a small river with a ton of bird activity. So after the appointment, I go back (an hour from home where my 1000mm and 300mm +1,7 AF Tc were comfortably resting) and try to get some shots. There were Great blue Herons, Eagles, Osprey's, Red Winged Black birds, Finches and a few other birds in this marshy river area. If you saw this week's POTW, I got a couple of shots but I'll be back with the right gear.

Next time, I'll have the right lenses, camo clothing, a blind and rubber boots. Plus all day to ust sit and swat mosquitoes
07-02-2009, 06:17 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
See those bushes on the left? Well, there was some on the right also. To my right, and I was standing back about two feet from those bushes (Mangrove trees when they are full grown), I was adjusting my tripod, heard a noise, looked up and off he flew. There was not numereous birds there, there was only this one. And even if I had returned the next day there was no guarantee that this bird or his cousins would be wading in the water's edge. I've fished this exact spot for years. This is the first time I've seen an egret there.

It's quite easy to shoot birds when they are there in abundance, but when it's a chance meeting, it usually ends like mine did.
07-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just thought I'd tell you guys, I got my new tripod head today. Tomorrow, I'm headed back to the river and see what I can find this time.