Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax Photo Gallery Reject - at 100%
Posted By: Marc Langille, 05-01-2007, 05:18 PM

The image size that is... this might have been a little too detailed I guess?

Hey, I can see the breathing holes... should be good enough to call it macro photo, right??

Cheers,
Marc
Views: 1,908
05-01-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It looks good to me. Nice detail, that I never knew butterflies had.

I wish that I knew what the liked there Marc, I just had the best chipmunk picture that I've ever taken rejected
05-01-2007, 06:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks, and some observations to add from my other recent post...

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
It looks good to me. Nice detail, that I never knew butterflies had.

I wish that I knew what the liked there Marc, I just had the best chipmunk picture that I've ever taken rejected
Thanks and sorry to hear that about the image.

This is one of those exceptions that I wanted to see what the lens could do, and it was only one month after taking up macro as a serious student.

One important thing about how I like to shoot macro: I prefer a balance between the details of the insect and it's surroundings. IMHO, an image that is mostly insect is interesting, but generally not as aesthetically pleasing. I prefer to hit the broader audience appeal this way. It forces you to think outside the box, compose the shot, and not just "how close can I get"... ?

There, now I've revealed my dirty little secrets about macro photography... Just remember you saw it here first...

Seriously though, I think this philosophy shows in my macro shots on my website and at the Pentax Photo Gallery. Balance between beauty and detail is what I seek, and thus they compliment each other. It can be challenging...

Best Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 05-01-2007 at 06:07 PM.
05-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
I prefer to hit the broader audience appeal this way. It forces you to think outside the box, compose the shot, and not just "how close can I get"... ? Marc
Well said, Mark!

It is like a protrait work. It is quite interesting to include some background, telling more story as well. The surrounding scene could add mood to the subject, adding extra mood.
And to include the surrounding scene in a photo requires composition skill and luck with timing.

This shot is cool, almost like abstract. I guess pentax gallery has too many photos to review these days. How could they let this one go?

05-02-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Well said, Mark!

It is like a protrait work. It is quite interesting to include some background, telling more story as well. The surrounding scene could add mood to the subject, adding extra mood.
And to include the surrounding scene in a photo requires composition skill and luck with timing.

This shot is cool, almost like abstract. I guess pentax gallery has too many photos to review these days. How could they let this one go?
Thanks James. It's true, macro is a tough area to do well in. Perhaps the rather large eye was not in the right realm of macro for them...

Cheers,
Marc
05-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Makes one wonder what they were thinking. This is an excellent shot and one I would be darn proud to hang. Perhaps they didn't want the border. Anyway good stuff.
05-02-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
Makes one wonder what they were thinking. This is an excellent shot and one I would be darn proud to hang. Perhaps they didn't want the border. Anyway good stuff.
Thanks Clarence! To clarify: none of the images I've submitted have that border...

Cheers,
Marc