05-01-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very interesting, nicely made!
05-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Cool idea, Ro. Good looking shot. I'm endlessly playing with my Photoshop. Amazing what a touch here and there can do for our shots. I'm surprised more people don't process their photos. I see so many that could be so much better with a little brightening up, etc. Not hard to learn, either unless you really get into it. I have yet to tackle layer masks although I will certainly do that one of these days. Regards, Freddy.
05-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very creative. I like it. Good job.

05-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Too cool!

Hi James!

That is just downright neat! Please, how did you do it??
05-02-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
Please, how did you do it??
That's the same question I wanted to ask.

Last edited by xs400; 05-02-2007 at 06:40 PM.
05-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Wow, ronetarre, I really like that effect! Must have been hard to make...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Well done!
05-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Great job on the 'out of shot' bug. I like your treatment of the picture edge. A little warp tool?
05-02-2007, 10:53 PM   #10

I can say only wow!
05-03-2007, 02:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
That's the same question I wanted to ask.
QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
Hi James!

That is just downright neat! Please, how did you do it??
Sure! Just finding it hard to explain by words. I will try my best here.

I use photoshop CS3 nowadays but it is not that much different from CS2 in terms of the functions used.

1. Open the image you would to do OOB PP

2. Duplicate the image: Go to layer - duplicate

3. Click on the duplicated background image in the Layer pallet, right click the mouse and select add layer mask

4. Go to the original background layer, click on the eye icon and select it with left mouse to make it dissappear

5. Now click on the duplicated background image with left mouse button again; this time, right click to show a list and add a new layer - Layer 1

6. Select rectangular Marquee Tool, draw an area on your subject in your photo in Layer 1

7. Select paint bucket and make sure white foreground is selected, then click on the rectangular area to fill the box

8. Go to Select and select contract, use figure of 20-50 - then press delete button on your keyboard

9. Go to Edit and select distort (or anything you want to deal with in there)

10. Distort the select area anyway you like and then press enter to confirm the shape

11. On the Layer 1, add a layer mask through layer heading

12. Select a brush size 30-50, make sure the foreground is now black, click on the area of the photograph where the subject is being over ridden by the white bars

13. Then add another new layer - Layer 2; drag the layer 2 to immediate above original photo in the layer pallet

14. Select a gradient bar and choose a format you want (also choose a foreground colour you preferred) while you are working on the Layer 2

15. Bring the cursor from one corner of the photograph and draw a line from this corner to diagonal corner

16. Finally, select the duplicated background layer by clicking on it; select a brush size you like and change the foreground to black, start earsing the image outside the square

This is the best I could try, welcome to PM me if you got any troubles!

You can do multiple things originating from this method by warping, adding another layer with your photograph like ocean etc. This is fun but time consuming

Have fun!
05-03-2007, 02:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
Cool idea, Ro. Good looking shot. I'm endlessly playing with my Photoshop. Amazing what a touch here and there can do for our shots. I'm surprised more people don't process their photos. I see so many that could be so much better with a little brightening up, etc. Not hard to learn, either unless you really get into it. I have yet to tackle layer masks although I will certainly do that one of these days. Regards, Freddy.
I learnt a lot from a lot of people in multiple photo websites. Seriously, there are so much I do not know about enhancing photographs. In photography laureate, I had the opportunities to learn this processing technique from a landscape photographer who basicly makes his images a wow factor just by doing leveling and curving!!!

However, these people all have the trick of the trade by using multiple multiple layers to enhance different things they want - hence enhancing the mood they want as well.

I am more into getting a shot where the composition is feasible and then it is all up to photoshop. I am going to try it after I finish my round of another exam ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Wow, ronetarre, I really like that effect! Must have been hard to make...
Mo, you can try it too. This is not so hard once you get the hang of it

QuoteOriginally posted by Quaffle Quote
Well done!
Thanks there. With your last post of the cherry photo, this method could get rid of 60% background that would be too bright if you brighten up your cherry. Then your cherry is out of the photo border that would obvious reminds viewer the theme of the image.

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
Great job on the 'out of shot' bug. I like your treatment of the picture edge. A little warp tool?
And I did play around with warp; at one stage, I was trying to play around displace filter onto the warp image - it did not work out too well

QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
I can say only wow!
I know a lot of people have airshow images and this method can make the planes out of the photo looking very unique
05-03-2007, 02:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
Hi Clarence. Where have you been these days? I bet there must be another tour somewhere ...