Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sepia Experiments
Posted By: Sailor, 05-01-2007, 07:53 PM

After looking at Hogrider's amazing sepia-toned desert shots on another thread, I thought I'd give it try for the first time on some shots I took on New Year's Day. I used PSPX - do you think there is too much?

Thanks,

Jer

Views: 2,411
05-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks good sailor, sepia-toned seems to work really good with desert type shots
05-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Looks good sailor, sepia-toned seems to work really good with desert type shots
Thanks, laker. I think I'll keep playing around with this feature. I've been promising myself I would do more B&W conversions anyway.

Jer
05-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #4

If I may: these are a good first effort... however, there is (to me) a visual incogruity between subject and rendering. The buildings are too modern for the sepia tone to appear authentic.

Another thing to watch out for is the banding that is apparent when working on B&W conversions and tonings of wide-angle shots. This is particularly apparent in the second photograph.

Just my thoughts...

05-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nixarma Quote
If I may: these are a good first effort... however, there is (to me) a visual incogruity between subject and rendering. The buildings are too modern for the sepia tone to appear authentic.

Another thing to watch out for is the banding that is apparent when working on B&W conversions and tonings of wide-angle shots. This is particularly apparent in the second photograph.

Just my thoughts...
Thanks much for your suggestions.

I was looking more for an effect than authenticity (actually I've never cared much for photos with an antique look); I think I overdid the sepia tone so I'll keep experimenting. On another thread I noticed that you mentioned adding a touch of platinum to your B&W conversions - very intriguing; how is that done? Could you post an example?

Thanks again,

Jer
05-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #6

Hi Jer,

Check out this link: Art of B/W #006 @Digital Outback Photo

It is a good introduction to the "classic" tones. You can also follow the embedded links and download a set of Photoshop actions that you can use to add this toning.

I usually add some degree of toning towards the end of my work on a photograph. Quite often, I use one of the actions that I downloaded from the above page. However, I personally prefer very subtle toning so I reduce the opacity of the toning layer in Photoshop to about 25%. Combining tones - two separate layers, two separate opacities - can also be quite interesting. I'm still learning, just like you

My "monochrome" gallery (Zenfolio | Nikhil Sarma | Monochrome) has some examples.
05-03-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nixarma Quote
Hi Jer,

Check out this link: Art of B/W #006 @Digital Outback Photo

I'm still learning, just like you

My "monochrome" gallery (Zenfolio | Nikhil Sarma | Monochrome) has some examples.
Thanks so much for being so thoughtful, Nikhil. Your gallery is outstanding - "Rooted" is masterpiece. You may be still learning conversions but I'd say your "in college" and I'm in "first grade".

Thanks again,

Jer

05-03-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another Try

Here's another version of the 1st image in my OP. This time I went in the opposite tint direction using the desaturation and color balance tools in PSPX. I like it a good deal better, but what do others think?

Jer

05-04-2007, 05:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi buddy, I liked the first set, but I agree with you the second try is much better, there's more tonal range and it seems less "flat". (I know what I mean by that last statement but don't ask me to explain it )

NaCl(first effort good, second effort much better)H2O
05-04-2007, 10:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I like the first set as well. However, the composition and the tone appeared to be better with the 2nd shot in the first allotment
05-04-2007, 02:44 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Thanks so much for being so thoughtful, Nikhil. Your gallery is outstanding - "Rooted" is masterpiece. You may be still learning conversions but I'd say your "in college" and I'm in "first grade".
Thank you for your kind words but I'm still some ways away from "college"

I agree with what Saltwater says about the conversion... that was my initial reaction as well. The key to (most) effective B&W conversions is to have a region of true black (RGB = 0,0,0) and a region of true white (RGB = 255,255,255) and a nice range of greys in between. If the darkest and lightest regions are only shades of grey then the scene loses some of its impact.

The first pic is ok as far as the black is concerned but the pillars could be whiter.

Once you get those anchor tones down and your contrast curves adjusted to your liking go ahead and add (and adjust) the toning.
05-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for the help. Back "in the day" I controlled the look of B&W with filters and film choice. Now I'm having to learn to do B&W all over again, that the kind of help one can get here is a great boost to the process.

Thanks again,

Jer