Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Luna Moth
Posted By: Bud, 05-01-2007, 08:12 PM

BudOhio wrote:
This was an early visitor for these parts, especially with the erratic weather we've had lately. The Luna Moth could be the poster child for the term "ephemeral". The adult moth lives only for an average of 7-10 days, in which time the female mates at night, lays eggs and then finds a nice, quiet place to spend her final hours. They don't eat anything as they don't have mouths or any other means to ingest food or nectar.
I think the coloring and markings of this moth make it the most striking North American species I've ever seen. I was somewhat in awe when I found it today, as I've never seen one in the daylight before. It has an almost mystical, surreal look to it.

Nature is so cool!
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and K10D. Natural light.

Views: 7,188
05-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #16
Bud
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all of the comments!

This was a very exciting "nature moment" for me and I'm glad all of you enjoyed the images. they are shots of the same moth, although i understand after doing some more research that there will usually be several that emerge around the same time. They give off some strong mating scents and seek each other out at night. When a male and female find each other they will then "engage" for one full day, and shortly thereafter, the female will deposit around 200 eggs, thus completing their mission during their very brief life cycle.

Here's a couple more images with the wings not fully extended. and experimenting with the on-camera flash of the K10D.

05-02-2007, 10:07 AM   #17
Inactive Account

hang on a minute.... how big is that thing!!!!!???

I live in England and anythign approaching tree-size in width would be considered a 'monster'...
05-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #18
Bud
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Christian,

The diameter of the tree trunk is just over 6.5 inches and the fully extended wingspan of the moth was about the same from tip to tip.
05-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice shots. Wish I could do as well or have such cooperative subjects.
For some reason these shots make me sleeeepppy......

05-03-2007, 03:28 PM   #20
Bud
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
Very nice shots. Wish I could do as well or have such cooperative subjects.
For some reason these shots make me sleeeepppy......
Thanks, Clarence. I did appreciate the cooperation of the subject, as I startled it from the ivy and it flew to the tree. 10 minutes later, it was gone...

.... now I'm feelin' a little yawwwwwn coming on...
05-03-2007, 03:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, Nature is full of magic!

Hi Bud!

Very nice captures here. I like the second one the best.

Luna moths are just magic! I've gotten a set of pictures of one once a couple of years ago and haven't seen another close enough to photograph since.
05-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #22
Bud
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
Hi Bud!

Very nice captures here. I like the second one the best.

Luna moths are just magic! I've gotten a set of pictures of one once a couple of years ago and haven't seen another close enough to photograph since.
Hey, Tracy!

I did miss your comments here... thanks for bringing them to my attention! I think "magic" is probably the right word... looking at one closely, it's hard to believe it's real.

Thanks for looking!