Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wolf Spider with spiderlings
Posted By: Marc Langille, 07-03-2009, 12:32 PM

An atypical macro of Hogna helluo, the second largest Wolf Spider in the US, body length just under 1 inch/2.5cm. The Carolina Wolf Spider is the largest with the body being up to 1.4 inches/3.55cm long. Note that Hogna carolinensis is just the family name - it's widespread throughout the US as well. I just wrapped up some macros of this unexpected visitor in front of my house late last night. I noticed movement on the walkway from the driveway to the front porch while letting out the dog for his last visit outside.

This was all manual focus since it was so dark. I used a mini-Maglite set on the ground about 1 foot away to give me enough light to MF the subject. It can be a hit or miss proposition in these conditions to nail the eyes in focus correctly. Here goes... first image on the driveway, using tripod, cabled remote, extension cable and HSS on the flash. Settings were F/11, 1/1000 sec., ISO 100, EV 0, M mode. Yes, one of her eyes is damaged - the leftmost of the right side of the head.

Female Wolf Spider (Hogna helluo) with her baby spiders (aka "spiderlings"):

Crop:

Link to another image, but cropped even tighter to show the spiderlings - about 50% of actual size on my screen:

Link to EXIF

I took several shots then placed mom in a less stressful spot with all of her babies on a wood tree stump with some rocks - a normal habitat for more than a few kinds of wolf spider. She felt so at home and stress free that she started to clean herself!! One baby crawled around for a short stint on her body....

Normal X-sync mode at F/16, 1/180 sec., tripod, cabled remote, extension cable from hot shoe to flash:

Link to EXIF

The good news is that they will only bite if repeatedly provoked and cornered. Wolf spider bites normally result in localized swelling and some pain - that's it.

Hopefully those who don't like spiders will sleep well tonight...

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 07-03-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Views: 7,089
07-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Igilligan

Plus 8, plus 8 plus 8

That is what my 6 year old was saying when she was trying to count how many spider legs were on the back of that spider.

We just found a big dead wolf spider on the patio, so the girls were very interested in this pic.

Thanks
07-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
jem

Wow... I remember these beasties all the way back when I was very small - used to creep me out. I didn't realize at the time it was a momma and her brood.

Thanks for sharing the terrific captures and solving a long forgotten mystery of my childhood!

Best,
John
07-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Gus,

Nice counting job by the girls...

The Carolina variety (Hogna carolinensis) is pretty much uniform dark brown all over. Just in case people miss it, the Carolina variety is larger, but still widespread throughout the US. The definitive difference if the size cannot be easily determined: there is no light brown medial stripe along the top of it's head as you see in these images of Hogna helluo.

Regards,
Marc

07-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't mind photos of them, but normally in front or close to me alive, no way jose. I can't stand spiders. One of my sisters is deathly afraid of them, even fake spiders freak her out.

These are excellent shots Marc. Well, done sir.
07-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
simply awesome shots Marc. Love the details
07-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That is just to crazy to look at. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Well done Marc. JIM

07-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very, very nice especially the last one. thanks for posting them Marc.
07-04-2009, 03:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I love the cleaness of it and composure to match

cheers
07-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jem Quote
Wow... I remember these beasties all the way back when I was very small - used to creep me out. I didn't realize at the time it was a momma and her brood.

Thanks for sharing the terrific captures and solving a long forgotten mystery of my childhood!

Best,
John
My honor John and glad I could solve some of the mysteries of being a Wolf Spider mom...

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I don't mind photos of them, but normally in front or close to me alive, no way jose. I can't stand spiders. One of my sisters is deathly afraid of them, even fake spiders freak her out.

These are excellent shots Marc. Well, done sir.
Thank you m'lady!

Regards,
Marc
07-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fadzil karim Quote
simply awesome shots Marc. Love the details
Fadzil, much appreciated and glad to know that you enjoyed these images!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
That is just to crazy to look at. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Well done Marc. JIM
You are not crazy Jim! I was really stoked to capture this series, no question. Did your family look at them?

Regards,
Marc
07-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
You are not crazy Jim! I was really stoked to capture this series, no question. Did your family look at them?
My daughter did and she was as shocked as me. I think the word she used was "COOL", is that real or made up! That is one unbelievealbe image Marc. WELL DONE and with my lens I bet?? [oops] JIM
07-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Very, very nice especially the last one. thanks for posting them Marc.
Thank you Heinrich - she was definitely a good mother in terms of trying to avoid potential harm to her spiderlings.

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
I love the cleaness of it and composure to match

cheers
Nick, I appreciate the comments and take care!

Regards,
Marc
07-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is one fantastic shot Marc! You are an inspiration!
Are you using a 540 flash with diffuser rather than a ring macro flash?

Young single mother taking good care of her children despite her handicap!

Or think about the morning routines in this familly! Up you go, all of you, hurry up, we got to go to kindergarden and school so mother can work (hunt). Number 12, don't step on your sisters, and you number 5, hurry up, you can eat the rest of your father when we get back home...

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Plus 8, plus 8 plus 8

That is what my 6 year old was saying when she was trying to count how many spider legs were on the back of that spider.

We just found a big dead wolf spider on the patio, so the girls were very interested in this pic.

Thanks
So now she knows what the eight multiplication table is good for
(Fourth are for mamals, Fifth for fingers and toes, Sixth are for insects, but what is the 7th good for?)
07-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

daaaaamn. My skin crawled.

I absolutely love your macros Marc!