Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first model shoot! (please critique!)
Posted By: codiac2600, 05-01-2007, 11:30 PM

Well I finally found a victim willing to pose while I run around with a camera snaping shots left and right. After about 4 hours and 483 pictures later I ended up with 100+ keepers and have my top 15 here for you to look at and let me know how you feel and what I need to change to get better and better at this area of photography.

Well please rip into these and if you want to see more let me know because their are about 80+ more of her in my photobucket account waiting to be shown!
Views: 2,204
05-02-2007, 05:27 AM   #2

Chris, these are excellent. She'll be very happy when she sees them.
05-02-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mile High Quote
Chris, these are excellent. She'll be very happy when she sees them.
Why thank you sir! She already seemed very happy with them and loved the experience. Seemed like a natural model to me just for the fact she moved and posed around 90% of the time while I just composed in my brain and snapped the shutter.
05-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In a While...

I'm sorry for my late reply. I have been very busy. I will spend some time thinking about how I may wish to or not to critique your work. I really don't know how to approach this matter. There are so many elements that I could delve in to and don't want you to misunderstand where I am going with my observations.

You have some choices here. You can ask for a critique based on my perceptions of what is and what is not considered acceptable at a specific level. You may want me to critique your work with the understanding that your basic understanding of fashion is in need of nurturing, or a stark reality check of how ferocious this business is.

To put things in a bit of perspective. I saw an agent today. They really respect and like my work. Being that most of their photographers have a similar look and are very competent, it is by my standards a bit conservative. They didn't know what to do with me. They need time to think about how I might fit in to their "Theme" as an agency. I was in my opinion, nicely rejected.

I have another meeting this Friday with a more "Avant Garde" agency that may be more appropriate for my work. This is the first time in my 27 year career that I have been without a base agency in Paris and it is very disconcerting. I will get one, but it has to be the right one. I left my last agency for the above reasons. Too generalist and unable to sell me properly.

I am saying all of this just to highlight what I am dealing with in my reality and if you want to compete on my turf, this is a harsh reality you will have to deal with...

***None the less a very strong start. A Million times better than my first shoot, of that you can be certain. I would just like to be able to kick start your career and give you some hints that may allow you to step up several rungs at a time...

Here is the agency that may take me on, but in my opinion won't. Just to see what you and I are up against:

Complice

and the agency that may take me on:

BOX MANAGEMENT

I will wait for your reply, but in the meantime, please read this article. It will foreshadow what I think I may wish to share with you:

180 style art fashion design

Last edited by benjikan; 05-02-2007 at 11:05 AM.
05-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Let me start off by saying that these are better than anything I could ever do. The comments I have are based more on forum C&C that I've read, not on my own experience, so take everything with a grain of salt. Hopefully people who know what they are doing will chime in with their thoughts and opinions. Here goes...

#1- I would crop the bottom, the cleavage is very distracting so you don't really concentrate on her face (of course I'm a woman and the guys may have a totally different opinion on this one!)

#3 - I think it would look better if her chin was in focus, so I'm saying this one needs a larger DOF.

#4 - Pretty much the same thing, larger DOF so her right eye is in focus

#5 - Some people have a real aversion to "armpit" shots. I'm not really one of them, I think this is a really nice picture, but that's something to keep in mind in the future.

#7 - Love it!!!!

#9 - I like the concept, but it's just a little too blurry to pull it off.

#10 - Love it!!!!

#11 - The white balance seems a little bit off and the picture is dark (I'm on a work monitor so I don't really like to comment on this type of thing because it might be my monitor).

#12 - Her left eye is OOF, and the light coming from above makes an unattractive shadow under her nose

#14 - Absolutely love the pose & expression on her face, but I'm not sure about the shadows from the fence. Sometimes when I look at it I like it, sometimes I don't (I'm a gemini, I'm allowed!)

#15 - I like the idea, but I think it might look a little better if one picture was more prominent (less transparent) than the other to give a focus point.

All in all I think you did a fantastic job for a first model shoot, and you found a very natural & pretty model. Keep shooting!

Carol
05-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xfraser Quote
Let me start off by saying that these are better than anything I could ever do. The comments I have are based more on forum C&C that I've read, not on my own experience, so take everything with a grain of salt. Hopefully people who know what they are doing will chime in with their thoughts and opinions. Here goes...

#1- I would crop the bottom, the cleavage is very distracting so you don't really concentrate on her face (of course I'm a woman and the guys may have a totally different opinion on this one!)

#3 - I think it would look better if her chin was in focus, so I'm saying this one needs a larger DOF.

#4 - Pretty much the same thing, larger DOF so her right eye is in focus

#5 - Some people have a real aversion to "armpit" shots. I'm not really one of them, I think this is a really nice picture, but that's something to keep in mind in the future.

#7 - Love it!!!!

#9 - I like the concept, but it's just a little too blurry to pull it off.

#10 - Love it!!!!

#11 - The white balance seems a little bit off and the picture is dark (I'm on a work monitor so I don't really like to comment on this type of thing because it might be my monitor).

#12 - Her left eye is OOF, and the light coming from above makes an unattractive shadow under her nose

#14 - Absolutely love the pose & expression on her face, but I'm not sure about the shadows from the fence. Sometimes when I look at it I like it, sometimes I don't (I'm a gemini, I'm allowed!)

#15 - I like the idea, but I think it might look a little better if one picture was more prominent (less transparent) than the other to give a focus point.

All in all I think you did a fantastic job for a first model shoot, and you found a very natural & pretty model. Keep shooting!

Carol
#1-I understand and I believe I may have a picture of the same look but a stepped in a bit closer to the action and as a man I can say it is a bit distracting.

#3-Now that I look at it I believe it would look better if here entire face was in focus... I was trying to use as much background blur as possible without really thinking of how it would affect her face. I'm guessing a 2.8+ f-stop would probably do it.

#4-Gotcha and will try that next time as well.

#5-That I can see as a problem because not everyone is smooth and silky under there even after a shave so I'll look out with others who become victim to my camera and check those pits in a few shots to see how they turn out before trying more and wasting shots.

#7-Thank You!

#9-yeah it;s hard to stay still for a 16 second shot... Maybe I'll experiment with a shorter shutter speed and more light to keep her well exposed.

#10-Thank you!

#11-It is dark and the color might be from over saturation in ACR (it was 1am when I was working on this so I might have nudged it a bit far). The darkness was something I liked about it and decided to keep it... but it's all in each persons view of it. I'll try a brightened and less saturated version to compare with at home.

#12-Will increase aperture next time and I never thought about the shadow till you mentioned it... almost mustached!

#14-I just wish I took a picture without the shadows for comparison.

#15-Yeah I was using the Multiple Exposure function on the camera and was tired of trying it over and over to get the right shot so I just left it how it was but still liked it a lot.

Thank you for your honest answers and am definitely going to go back out and try your suggestions hopefully today if not in the near future. Be ready for 15 more to critique lol!
05-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I'm sorry for my late reply. I have been very busy. I will spend some time thinking about how I may wish to or not to critique your work. I really don't know how to approach this matter. There are so many elements that I could delve in to and don't want you to misunderstand where I am going with my observations.

You have some choices here. You can ask for a critique based on my perceptions of what is and what is not considered acceptable at a specific level. You may want me to critique your work with the understanding that your basic understanding of fashion is in need of nurturing, or a stark reality check of how ferocious this business is.

To put things in a bit of perspective. I saw an agent today. They really respect and like my work. Being that most of their photographers have a similar look and are very competent, it is by my standards a bit conservative. They didn't know what to do with me. They need time to think about how I might fit in to their "Theme" as an agency. I was in my opinion, nicely rejected.

I have another meeting this Friday with a more "Avant Garde" agency that may be more appropriate for my work. This is the first time in my 27 year career that I have been without a base agency in Paris and it is very disconcerting. I will get one, but it has to be the right one. I left my last agency for the above reasons. Too generalist and unable to sell me properly.

I am saying all of this just to highlight what I am dealing with in my reality and if you want to compete on my turf, this is a harsh reality you will have to deal with...

***None the less a very strong start. A Million times better than my first shoot, of that you can be certain. I would just like to be able to kick start your career and give you some hints that may allow you to step up several rungs at a time...

Here is the agency that may take me on, but in my opinion won't. Just to see what you and I are up against:

Complice

BOX MANAGEMENT

I will wait for your reply, but in the meantime, please read this article. It will foreshadow what I think I may wish to share with you:

That is definitely some stiff competition and if I had the equipment and talent I'd try to match that quality and feel that those photographers possess. My only lighting consists of flashlights, whatever is around the scene (lamp posts, wall lights, pop machine in shot 7 and of course the sun) and of course maybe a trusted friend with a reflector or flashlight. Maybe one day after hours of experimenting and thousands of wasted photos will finally catch on to what you've shown me on those websites so hopefully you can help me move a couple rungs up the ladder and continue to grow. To comment on your statement that my shoot was better than yours can only be described as either a fluke or the fact that I look at all the pictures you've got stored away on net and also all the great photos taken by everyone on this site. For some strange reason I felt a direction because of what I've seen and read from this site and kept looking for things I never really thought of before. I was actually almost dragging her around the park looking for the right lighting here the right background there blah blah and I've never ever done that. Like at the pop machine... I was staring at it and was like LIGHT! GREAT LIGHT SOURCE! and then from one light source to the next experimented along till I had almost 500 photos taken and nearly all of them keepers.

What I'm looking for in a critique would be something basically to build my foundation as I feel as if I'm on an hill balancing on a rock and with any gust could knock me down to just snapping some shots and hoping for the best as I keep rolling downward. I think as a photographer you're 100% only when you can be confident in your approach and use it to create something and with that getting a chance to try new things. Right now I'm almost afraid to try new things because I have nothing to work off of and am basically hacking it. Some ideas of direction would be the most beneficial... like with what xfraser stated about DOF, cleavage and armpits. Those are things I never really thought of at the time of shooting. Heck I actually didn't even check my camera settings before starting and was set at ISO 400, mirror lock up, f5.6 and in multi-segmented metering. I took one shot and fixed the mirror lock up setting, then noticed my aperture was a little high for my taste but was wondering why my shutter speed was at 4000 and blinking... oh yes the ISO was way too high for as much light as I had. So I guess maybe a set of ground rules to jump start what I already have would also be to my benefit and to others.

Thank you again for even looking at these and even if you don't find time to give a reply just pointing me to those sites is a good start as too what I'd like to accomplish with my future shoots.
05-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I'll comment on yours if you comment on mine!? (I only have 1 comment so far and i's my first post :-(

Anyway... my opinion... bearing in mind these aren't studio shots... and taht I don't know what you're trying to achieve with your photography...

I think shots 3 and 8 are prob the most flattering/successful. They are quite 'standard' poses BUT that's prob for a reason... they work! So what's so good about 'flattering'?...

Well, for example, if you put just those two shots in your portfolio you could get people interested in having you do their outdoor portraits (for cash preferably!). So then you start to make money from your work... if that's what you want!?

What do you think?

05-02-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK here my nickle's worth.
Agree with xfraser about the cleavage
Really like #2; the one where she is partially hidden by the wall; dandylion is a nice concept and great expression, but needs more dof; love the fence and the soda machine.

Don't like the blue shadows, (either one); the "angel" is just too cutsey and and besides, she's oof (or camera shake) and the last one is kinda cliched.

All the others are nice photos, but nothing to write home to mom about, especially it you want to go pro in fashion. I'm sure Joe Pointandshoot would love to have them, heck, I'd like to have them, but they're not stellar, nor are they bad.

NaCl(my five cents, and worth all of that)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 05-02-2007 at 01:34 PM. Reason: punctuation
05-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

Complice

BOX MANAGEMENT

Well, I looked through Complice, and yawn city for the vast majority of the shots. Yes, they have the perfectly manicured models, but overall the shots were technically excellent and emotionally stale.

I couldn't get to the Box Management sites, so no comments there. (Except that I couldn't get to any photos...at a photo management site...)

And as far as your tutorial goes, it is all fine advice and nothing that you haven't given here before. But, having skills in portraiture extend beyond being a fashion photographer, in fact almost all of us don't want to go into Fashion Photography at all if for nothing more than the dry and ruthless business portion.

The pictures in this thread speak more towards getting the skills to take up competent wedding photography, or non-model portraiture. Imagine if these were graduation portraits - she and her family would be thrilled. If she had been wearing some Vogue-ish outfit and been decked out in ridiculous make-up, I doubt that she'd want the same thing.

And if she were a bride, you'd be in the money.

--Sean
05-02-2007, 05:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hmmmm...

It's shots like these that make me wonder what I'm doing taking photos of birds and animals.
05-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Christian Quote
I'll comment on yours if you comment on mine!? (I only have 1 comment so far and i's my first post :-(

Anyway... my opinion... bearing in mind these aren't studio shots... and taht I don't know what you're trying to achieve with your photography...

I think shots 3 and 8 are prob the most flattering/successful. They are quite 'standard' poses BUT that's prob for a reason... they work! So what's so good about 'flattering'?...

Well, for example, if you put just those two shots in your portfolio you could get people interested in having you do their outdoor portraits (for cash preferably!). So then you start to make money from your work... if that's what you want!?

What do you think?
I thank you for your opinion and I think that is about the direction I'd like to go (making some money from my work) and this session was to build up my portfolio or at the very least start one thats not just plants and animals. Hopefully on my next outing I'll be able to build onto a decent portfolio and get people to want my line work over others.

QuoteOriginally posted by NaCLH20:
OK here my nickle's worth.
Agree with xfraser about the cleavage
Really like #2; the one where she is partially hidden by the wall; dandylion is a nice concept and great expression, but needs more dof; love the fence and the soda machine.

Don't like the blue shadows, (either one); the "angel" is just too cutsey and and besides, she's oof (or camera shake) and the last one is kinda cliched.

All the others are nice photos, but nothing to write home to mom about, especially it you want to go pro in fashion. I'm sure Joe Pointandshoot would love to have them, heck, I'd like to have them, but they're not stellar, nor are they bad.

NaCl(my five cents, and worth all of that)H2O
Point taken and will definitely boost the f-stoppage next time I'm out. The angel idea was just an experiment that turned out ok and needs some refinement to make it perfect.

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents:
Well, I looked through Complice, and yawn city for the vast majority of the shots. Yes, they have the perfectly manicured models, but overall the shots were technically excellent and emotionally stale.

I couldn't get to the Box Management sites, so no comments there. (Except that I couldn't get to any photos...at a photo management site...)

And as far as your tutorial goes, it is all fine advice and nothing that you haven't given here before. But, having skills in portraiture extend beyond being a fashion photographer, in fact almost all of us don't want to go into Fashion Photography at all if for nothing more than the dry and ruthless business portion.

The pictures in this thread speak more towards getting the skills to take up competent wedding photography, or non-model portraiture. Imagine if these were graduation portraits - she and her family would be thrilled. If she had been wearing some Vogue-ish outfit and been decked out in ridiculous make-up, I doubt that she'd want the same thing.

And if she were a bride, you'd be in the money.
I really wasn't going for the fashion but I sorta wanted it that way but for just candids I think they are strong like you said and she is very happy with them. I think maybe I should back down to just portraiture for now and learn that and hopefully maybe earn some cash on the side to boost my LBA.
05-03-2007, 07:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
It's shots like these that make me wonder what I'm doing taking photos of birds and animals.
Ha you nailed that one on the head buddy! You can find beauty in nature, but sometimes humans can be quite beautiful as well.
05-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Pretty darn good for your first shoot; far, far better than anything I'd ever get, I'm lousy at people pictures for some reason. Something I might work at more some day. But back to your photos: my faves are 3 and 4, if only because she doesn't look so solemn. She's got such a pretty smile, and I guess I've never really liked "fashion" photos with non-smiling models much. Yes, there's a place for a somber face, but even a hint of a smile as in 4 gives the face a little more life. Of the somber ones, the one with her chin on her hands and the one with the dandelion please me most, perhaps because the solemn face suits the pensive pose. She must be delighted with the results.

Julie
05-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote

Well please rip into these and if you want to see more let me know because their are about 80+ more of her in my photobucket account waiting to be shown!
Nothing to rip into here. Assuming this is one of your first attempts the results are better than average. If you are looking to build up your portfolio it is best to think of "less is more".

Images 1,5, and 7 are ones that you might consider as a template to work off of in the future. They are the ones that I think have the most merit in your offering here.

As Ben said, there are a myriad of critiquing modalities to get deeper on this subject with you, but this may not be the correct forum to go into depth with.

That said, one very positive thing to acknowledge is that you have attempted this work, done fine for your experience level and seem to have the confidance to take it up a level at a time to reach whatever anticipated goal you so choose.
I say this with humor, but it is a fact; when people are paying for the work (instead of getting it for free) that you are doing they will often be far more critical than forum members are when it comes to shelling out the bucks.

Keep on postin' em.

Stephen