Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
No Disappointment Today
Posted By: Sailor, 07-04-2009, 01:04 PM

Earlier, I posted some pictures of my daughter riding and running in a duathalon (see: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/63535-disappointment.html); I was disappointed in the poor focus that I managed to achieve.

Early this morning, I took pictures of my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter in Fourth of July races here in Lake Jackson, and - while not perfect - the results were more satisfying. I used my DA 70 and set my K20D to ISO 800 and a shutter speed of 1/750s, which allowed lens openings of f/8-11. I used continuous focus and continuous shooting mode (High), and most of the images were acceptably in focus. Below are three examples. It'll be interesting to see what the new K-7 will "bring to the party" for this kind of shooting. The AF system apparently has been souped up, but whether the changes are meaningful in real-world shooting is still not clear - at least not to me.

Jer

Daughter:

Son-in-Law:

Granddaughter (with some help from Mom):

Last edited by Sailor; 07-04-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Views: 1,822
07-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Jer, nothing wrong with the focus here and that last image is precious. Thanks for for posting them.
07-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
I read your post today and also looked at the previous pictures. What you posted does not look bad at all and is pretty representative of the kind of results anyone can expect who does not do this kind of shooting on a regular basis. I can make a few comments based on my recent experience shooting some bicycle racing (posted here). Here is what I learned:
  • CF (continuous focus) is a good tool, but allows shutter release even when focus has not been attained. Be prepared for a lot of OOF shots.
  • Be aware that the camera may lock focus on something other than your subject. This is particularly true when shooting a group of runners or bicycles moving against a stationary background. I have about a dozen shots where the trees or crowd in the background are razor sharp and the bikes are blurry.
  • Unless you pan, you will need a high shutter speed to stop action. With high shutter speed, SR is not needed as much. If you pan, SR should be turned off. So much for SR.
  • It takes a few milliseconds for SR to "lock" (the hand appears). I don't know for sure, but I have wondered whether SR stays engaged and active during a continuous shooting burst.
  • Continuous shooting mode is helpful for the "spray and pray" approach, but even in the best case there is only time for 3-4 shots before the action passes you by.
  • TAv mode is your friend. Set the aperture you like and the shutter speed you need and let the camera set the ISO.
What I finally ended up doing was to turn off both AF and SR and pan the action. MRRiley does this kind of shooting on a regular basis with a Pentax body. With any luck he may chime in with his advice.

Steve
07-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great advise Steve. I tend to set the ISO at say 500-800, depending on light of coarse and shoot in AV mode trying to make use the shutter speed is 1/500 sec or higher. Believe me, I am new to all this so I will be checking your suggestions out the next time I have similar shots. Sailer, these are excellent photo's and the focus is dead on. Well done and I agree, the last shot is really cute! JIM

PS: Lovely family my friend

07-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Hi Jer, nothing wrong with the focus here and that last image is precious. Thanks for for posting them.
Thanks much, my friend. I really appreciate it.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hi,
I read your post today and also looked at the previous pictures. What you posted does not look bad at all and is pretty representative of the kind of results anyone can expect who does not do this kind of shooting on a regular basis. I can make a few comments based on my recent experience shooting some bicycle racing (posted here). Here is what I learned:
  • CF (continuous focus) is a good tool, but allows shutter release even when focus has not been attained. Be prepared for a lot of OOF shots.
  • Be aware that the camera may lock focus on something other than your subject. This is particularly true when shooting a group of runners or bicycles moving against a stationary background. I have about a dozen shots where the trees or crowd in the background are razor sharp and the bikes are blurry.
  • Unless you pan, you will need a high shutter speed to stop action. With high shutter speed, SR is not needed as much. If you pan, SR should be turned off. So much for SR.
  • It takes a few milliseconds for SR to "lock" (the hand appears). I don't know for sure, but I have wondered whether SR stays engaged and active during a continuous shooting burst.
  • Continuous shooting mode is helpful for the "spray and pray" approach, but even in the best case there is only time for 3-4 shots before the action passes you by.
  • TAv mode is your friend. Set the aperture you like and the shutter speed you need and let the camera set the ISO.
What I finally ended up doing was to turn off both AF and SR and pan the action. MRRiley does this kind of shooting on a regular basis with a Pentax body. With any luck he may chime in with his advice.

Steve
Steve, thanks for going to all of the trouble to share your tips and experience - frankly, I never thought of using TAv mode - I'll give it a try.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Great advise Steve. I tend to set the ISO at say 500-800, depending on light of coarse and shoot in AV mode trying to make use the shutter speed is 1/500 sec or higher. Believe me, I am new to all this so I will be checking your suggestions out the next time I have similar shots. Sailer, these are excellent photo's and the focus is dead on. Well done and I agree, the last shot is really cute! JIM

PS: Lovely family my friend
Hey buddy, thanks for the kind words.

Jer
07-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Good shots. Your strategy worked well. third photo a winner for sure
07-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scottnorwo Quote
Good shots. Your strategy worked well. third photo a winner for sure
Thanks, Scott - very much. After this race yesterday, my daughter did a duathalon up in Katy this morning and took first overall (women) - so she's not disappointed either.

Jer

07-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Interesting that you got your S-I-L with both feet off the ground, and your daughter in the first phot has her foot firmly planted. Love the expression on your granddaughter's face.
07-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good stuff Jer,
....where does the Grand daughter get that look of determination from?? remind me to keep outta her way!!!

Its all about that damned learning curve, I have been trying to take some night shots recently of a particular subject and its not easy!!

Cheers
Grant
07-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Interesting that you got your S-I-L with both feet off the ground, and your daughter in the first phot has her foot firmly planted. Love the expression on your granddaughter's face.
Thanks much.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Good stuff Jer,
....where does the Grand daughter get that look of determination from?? remind me to keep outta her way!!!

Its all about that damned learning curve, I have been trying to take some night shots recently of a particular subject and its not easy!!

Cheers
Grant
Thanks, buddy. Yup, learning and experimenting is part of the fun.

Jer