Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12th Century Dominican Friary
Posted By: rparmar, 07-04-2009, 04:25 PM

In Ireland one can find many such places. This is out in County Limerick. Shot with the DA12-24mm.

missing stained glass

atlas

second floor

the bell tower

courtyard

Views: 2,148
07-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great series. The first shot is wonderful, just perfect.
07-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice series. I agree with scott, the first one is dramatic with the clouds in background. It's a pitty such a beautiful building in ruins
07-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

nice.

How did you process these? In particular, the cool-warm tone is well done.

#1 requires better contrast separation between sky and subject, like excellent "second floor" and "bell tower" have.

07-05-2009, 06:06 AM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Omg these are gorgeous. One big bummer about living in the US is that nothing is that old. I'm hoping to get to Ireland next year. Beautiful series. I enjoyed each one, but I especially like the drama of the first one.
07-05-2009, 06:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Omg these are gorgeous. One big bummer about living in the US is that nothing is that old. I'm hoping to get to Ireland next year. Beautiful series. I enjoyed each one, but I especially like the drama of the first one.
I think the same thing every time I see pics like this..

beautiful pics btw... 1st one is awesome.
07-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice series.
Ditto about missing out on ancient architecture here in the states. I would love to visit the old country.

07-05-2009, 07:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for all the comments. In answer to questions about the sky, I did not have a great day for that and so processed these with masks for the sky, so that exposure changes would not blow it out totally. None of these are HDR thought I have one shot I tried that way that I will process today.

If you follow through the images to the Flickr set there are a few others I did not post here.

Ireland certainly is the place for ruins, which, if you know the history, makes sense. Many of them have just been left to rot and become overgrown. The best one can hope for is that ones like this are cleared and maintained. This even has a small "museum" (AKA hut) at the entrance. Very few are promoted to tourists and many are in fact on private land.

This "untouched" state makes them all the more appealing.

One thing I did not get a shot of. There were some local boys climbing over the structure, risking their necks. What I mean is, pick the highest narrowest old ledge in these pictures and imagine them up there! Almost gave me a heart attack just seeing them.
07-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are very good photographs Robin and as others have said #1 is outstanding.
07-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I would buy #1 and hang it on my wall, thats how good it is
Stunning
07-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I hope to start selling prints and cards this September. One thing that has held me back is finding an optimal way to do this in the EU. Most of the available print fulfillment websites work in the USA only, or if they do work elsewhere, only in US dollars. I wrote about this in Any Web Stores For European Photographers? I'm still open to ideas.

Here's one more photo from this series. I did some manual dodge & burn plus HDR work on this, since the exposure range was massive.

I do love being in these places.

curved arch hallway