Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
From Luna Moth to Social Butterfly
Posted By: Christian, 05-02-2007, 10:02 AM

Here are my first shots with my new K10D... (other than of my lampshade/kitchen/cuckoo clock :-)

This is my girlfriend this morning after having got home from her birthday night out at 4.30am! (she wouldn't be too pleased I posted these I can tell you).

... grabbed her as she was getting ready for work in a hurry and she spared me all of 5 secs to take her photo.

It was quite dark other than the window light. Taken in jpeg mode. sigma 18-50 at 2.8...(I think) ... not at all like my Nikon D50 jpegs... though quite pleasing and 'filmic'.

You can see why I wanted a 10mp camera.... I love to crop! (I'm a graphic designer so I have a tendency to).

Attached Images

Views: 2,492
05-02-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
First time post for me too...

... so say something! (doesn't have to be nice... )
05-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those are pretty good - you seem to have a knack for hitting the shutter at the right moment. You said you like to crop - how much are those cropped? The window light is lovely and soft, I don't think she should get annoyed with you for posting!

Julie
05-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Julie!

I really just cropped them into a square (ie. took some of the sides off, got rid of dead space and distractions) and tried to keep the points of interest in a good place. Nothing major this time.

Christian

05-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Christian, The shots are technically good. But I find the expression on the first one a bit too much. I love the second one, a very flattering photo, like Julie said, nice soft light and a nice pensive expression. If you have to show them to her show her only the second.

NaCl(nobody could be mad about the second)H2O
05-02-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks NaClH2O. Too much expression huh... if you knew how hungover she was you'd be amazed there was any expression at all! :-)
05-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm going to skip to photo number 2 here and say that I really enjoy her expression or lack there of. Very much the look I'd see if I were to wake up next to a girl who had a few too many on her birthday. The only thing that would have made it a bit better would be to expose her right eye a little more and maybe her right hand on the window? wall? by her side to give the feel of needing balance.

If you were going to stage some shots I'd suggest using some of that super shiny lip gloss because she has like the perfect photo lips!

Photo numero uno is set up very well and love the look on her face and her skin is soft in it, but the blur kinda gets to me a little bit but I know that you didn't have the best resources to take the shots so still very well done.

Hope to see more and don't forget the shiny lip gloss!
05-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I wanna know if I Benjican or Benjiecan't !!!

Monsieur Benjamin

Please comment on my first post...

They were taken in an instant so they'll only get better when I read the manual... mind you I seem to prefer the a candid style of 'people shot' so they're always going to be a bit on the move rather than set-up...

Go on!... I enjoy your comments on other peoples' images ... I wanna feel the pain too!!!

;-)

05-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I Love It....

QuoteOriginally posted by Christian Quote
Monsieur Benjamin

Please comment on my first post...

They were taken in an instant so they'll only get better when I read the manual... mind you I seem to prefer the a candid style of 'people shot' so they're always going to be a bit on the move rather than set-up...

Go on!... I enjoy your comments on other peoples' images ... I wanna feel the pain too!!!

;-)
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the first one.....It is honest, real and candid. Not pretentious. The second..Well, you know.

I took some creative license and did a tiny retouch on it. Hope you don't mind.

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 02-07-2013 at 06:03 PM.
05-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Were you there, too?

Hi Christian!

So were you at this infamous birthday party that lasted until 4:30AM?? I don't know HOW you took a picture in the morning, processed it, and posted it on the day after if you were, especially if you had as much fun as you say she did!

The first picture gives the feel of the 'day after a big party' quite nicely. I like the light and the slight blur on the right side adds to the atmosphere of the photo!

The second one is a great portrait no matter what circumstances it was taken. The window frame being crooked is a bit distracting, but it's not that bad.

All in all, two pictures that she should be pleased to see!
05-04-2007, 06:02 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the first one.....It is honest, real and candid. Not pretentious. The second..Well, you know.

Ben
Thanks! I like the first one best too... it makes me smile (looks like she's waiting for a kiss).

The second one... yeah it's fairly standard.

I'll take plenty more of her no doubt...

Thanks again :-)
05-04-2007, 06:08 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
Hi Christian!

So were you at this infamous birthday party that lasted until 4:30AM?? I don't know HOW you took a picture in the morning, processed it, and posted it on the day after if you were, especially if you had as much fun as you say she did!

The first picture gives the feel of the 'day after a big party' quite nicely. I like the light and the slight blur on the right side adds to the atmosphere of the photo!

The second one is a great portrait no matter what circumstances it was taken. The window frame being crooked is a bit distracting, but it's not that bad.

All in all, two pictures that she should be pleased to see!
No unfortunately I had some kind of food poisoning or something... I popped out to be with her for a couple of hours... two cab rides, two bottles of water... :-( she carried on dancing with friends.

I was just dying to see a photo of a person out of of my new K10D... those lampshade shots were v boring!
05-04-2007, 06:09 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote

Ben

Oh I forgto to ask.. what did you do to retouch the shot? I like it... I could apply that look to the original or others in future...

Thanks,
Christian
05-04-2007, 08:04 AM   #14
Forum Member

I am not a professional photographer, so what I say is only based on ... let me see, nothing really except (individual taste). I like them, I like the second better because of the soft light source, and how well it fades into the background. Of course I am an Engineer during the day, so what do I know about art! Now my daughter is the art student, maybe I'll let her comment as me, or get her a logon (after all she is shooting with the Pentax k-1000 I got as a High School graduation present).
05-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I only recently stopped using my K1000... this K10D is like having to learn drive the space shuttle or something!