Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Met someone who's lost and lonely
Posted By: emr, 07-05-2009, 09:28 AM

I went for a walk to try my little used Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm zoom lens. I was just a few hundred meters from our house very near the sea.

The path was so green I decided to shoot it focusing at the end of the path. Wait, what's that dark shape on the left side? Focused to it and it looks like ... an ear. Who's ear? After a few seconds the ears moved further, followed by a somewhat bigger body. Luckily it was a bit further from me, so it was possibly more scared than I was.

The elk mothers (this animal is called moose in North America and elk in Europe, the North American elk is another animal) make the calves that were born the previous year leave on their own around this time of the year. The poor things are often quite lost and confused, ending up in the strangest places, like in city centers and so on. They also cause lots of car accidents this time of the year. Sometimes they even crash through house windows confusing the mirror image for an opening of some kind. I think this fella wasn't a full grown one but probably one of those whose mother has just kicked him/her out.

Attached Images

Views: 1,495
07-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice story line to accompany the pics. Very informative for someone who has seen neither Elk nor Moose.
07-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
good story and photos. good eye to catch him peeking out on the trail.