Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Orchid Macro
Posted By: N.Stocks, 07-06-2009, 05:11 AM

Any suggestions on how to improve this shot ? ( I need to crop )

According to another forum, the water droplet, which IS real looks like it's been photoshopped, and the colors are fake... These are the colors of an orchid

Thank You

Attached Images

Last edited by N.Stocks; 07-06-2009 at 05:11 AM. Reason: EDIT : The colors on the web do look a little different to what I see in Lightroom...
Views: 1,901
07-06-2009, 05:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What might make people think it's photoshoped is the angle of the water drop. It looks like it's held by nothing uphill.

You might consider adjusting the shot angle so it doesn't look like it's defying gravity. I like the concept and colour. I wish the background had some interest like green leaves or something. The pure white looks like a setup shot.
07-06-2009, 05:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
What might make people think it's photoshoped is the angle of the water drop. It looks like it's held by nothing uphill.

You might consider adjusting the shot angle so it doesn't look like it's defying gravity. I like the concept and colour. I wish the background had some interest like green leaves or something. The pure white looks like a setup shot.
Ahhh ok. I used a white piece of paper for the background so that it makes the colors ' pop '. I will probably reshoot it later today.

Thank you
07-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #4

Original Poster
This photo is from the same sequence, I will still be doing a re-shoot tomorrow.It looks like it's in the shot more, but still stands out, kinda what I wanted really, maybe a wider aperture would make it even better so that it wasn't completely isolated.

What do you think to this one ? It still needs cropping but I won't do that until I know what I'm doing with it i.e print on A3 etc.

Thank You

Attached Images

07-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
The white background washes out everything. Perhaps you are getting some color pop in the center of the flower but near the edges it is hard to see anything. The background is overpowering. The previous suggestion is good, leaves or something. Or simply try a black background. Just my $.02.........
07-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K10Perry Quote
The white background washes out everything. Perhaps you are getting some color pop in the center of the flower but near the edges it is hard to see anything. The background is overpowering. The previous suggestion is good, leaves or something. Or simply try a black background. Just my $.02.........
I understand what you mean... I have some shot of this flower with a black background which look good, but a white background makes it look ' pure '

Regards.

N.stocks