Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

365 Self-Portraits: Year Three: Week One
Posted By: K McCall, 07-07-2009, 11:45 AM

Someone asked me in another thread if I would post this new project here while I'm doing it, and I said I would, but instead of posting each day, I figured I'd do a week's worth at a time. That way once you get tired of looking at all these pictures of me, it'll be easier to ignore one thread a week instead of seven

A little background: I chose to do a self-portrait project about 2 months after getting my first DSLR, a K100D, to help me improve my camera and post-processing skills and to force myself to use my camera every day. I'm sure there are subconscious reasons in there as well, but basically at the time I lived alone and had no children or pets or anything else to practice on, and a couple of my friends had joined a group on flickr that was just for this project.

So for two years now, I've taken a self-portrait every day. I just finished year two on June 30th. I decided to do a third year, but this time I'm trying to do a "matching" shot for each day. Ideally either the subject matter or the mood or the processing or the place or the contours of the composition match the self-portrait. I'm also playing around with my lenses to try to either take two radically different photos with the same lens or to take similar photos with vastly different lenses.

Tech notes: All were taken with the K200D, and the following lenses were used this week: FA 77 (with and without extension tubes), FA 43, FA 31, and the D-FA 100 Macro. All photos were processed in Lightroom, and then turned into a diptych with a program called "Dipstych."

So, on to the pictures!

Day One: Beyond the Window

Day Two: Waiting

Day Three: Nightmares

Day Four: Close to Death

Day Five: Welcome to the Neighborhood

Day Six: It's a Tough Job

Day Seven: Worry Beads

Views: 4,481
07-08-2009, 07:15 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, what a great shots, wonderfull!

07-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone who posted here! And Niki, I hope you post your pictures from each week for us to enjoy!

I'm really enjoying the added element of taking a "matching" shot so far (ask me again in another week, ha!). No, seriously, it's so easy to get caught up in how-much-did-that-lens-cost and oh-is-that-a-dust-spot? that we forget to have FUN with this hobby. Toward the end of the last project, I really felt like I had no more ideas and I was dreading the possibility of doing another year where I just held the camera out with one hand and snapped.

But man oh man, when you start thinking "How can I depict how terrible that nightmare I had last night was?" and then you walk around the bed for a bit and open the window and let the light play and stand on the bed for a bit and maybe jump once or twice...fun!

And I don't know how I suddenly got so entranced with all the dark processing, but I'll try brighten it up this week

Thanks for looking, everyone!
07-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Simply fantastic and really aspiring images.
07-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #19

phenomenal pics

07-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
Thanks to everyone who posted here! And Niki, I hope you post your pictures from each week for us to enjoy!
Perhaps I'll get decent enough shots after a year's time. hahah
I've been playing around with PP a lot.
While I love to take photos and want them as good as possible SOOC, Im an artist by trade, so I can't leave them as is.
07-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Keitha,

I am also happy to see you continue on with this project....or should I say these projects. You are without a doubt one of my favorite photographers. I'll even go as far as to say you might be the best photographer nobody really knows.

You have this combination of concept/creativity, execution/technical excellence, and post-processing that is unlike anything I've seen. The only people I've said that about are guys like Sam Hassas, Ed Pingol, and Tony Hoffer. Your photographer is in quite a different genre from them (they're all wedding photographers), but your work is very much on that level.

Some you should seriously consider adding to your kit: A tilt-shift lens.....I imagine both you and Jens could probably do some serious damage with one of those.
07-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Keitha, it seems you're getting more creative every year It looks like you are on to a very good start.

07-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #23
Forum Member

just incredible! i really like #2 and #6, wow, just wow!
07-15-2009, 08:56 AM   #24
JMR
Veteran Member

Some beautiful work. Very creative and engaging.

JMR - Impressions and landscapes
07-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I really like your work, true photographic art!