Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Spicebush Swallowtail Butterfly "Nature Lesson For The Day" :)
Posted By: Bud, 05-04-2007, 12:17 PM

Two years ago we dug up half of our back yard and planted a butterfly / hummingbird garden to attract... well, you get it. In the fall we had several tiny caterpillars that looked like poop which developed into really cool looking larvae, that pupated into several small chrysalides. We collected the chrysalides so that we could monitor them and keep the local dogs, cats and squirrels from turning them into a presumably nasty tasting snack. Apparently, they survived the sub-zero temps in our shed, and this morning, the first butterfly emerged.

I'll say it again... "NATURE IS SO COOL!!"

Shiny "poop" form (Panasonic FZ20)

Cool caterpillar form - There's a more scientific name... instar somethingerother

Chrysalis form

Spicebush Swallowtail Butterfly on Salvia Oppositiflora

Spicebush Swallowtail Butterfly on Lantana

Last edited by Bud; 05-04-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Views: 5,252
05-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You rock! Talk about subject preperation, that has to be the most involved ever. Good work and nice series.
05-04-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That's evidence of a LOT of patience!

Hi Bud!

Extraordinary series!

The caterpillar photo is surreal. I love them all, but that one is a standout!
05-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great series Bud and like Tracy said that catapillar is simply awesome!
This sorta reminds me of the time I collected several praying mantis egg cases and left them in between my window and the storm window over winter. One spring day after school, I came home to find my room crawling with literally thousands of tiny praying mantids. My dad thought it was funny, but my mom wasn't quite thrilled. Weeks later we would still find one in an odd corner, under the kitchen sink, in the pantry, basement etc. My mom was still cursing me out over that 35 years later.

NaCl(BTW, they ate all the spiders in the basement)H2O

05-04-2007, 07:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I normally do not comment on bug macros, they're not my cup of tea. But this is an extraordinary series.

Excellent work.
05-04-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
But this is an extraordinary series.

Excellent work.
I'll second that emotion, beautiful pictures.
05-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
Bud
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
You rock! Talk about subject preperation, that has to be the most involved ever. Good work and nice series.
Thanks, Buddah! I think I've always had a hidden desire to be a high school science teacher

QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
Hi Bud!

Extraordinary series!

The caterpillar photo is surreal. I love them all, but that one is a standout!
Tracy - Thanks for looking and for the very nice comments. The summer bug, butterfly and bird season is my time of the year and, yes, those are some funky looking caterpillars. I hope to be able to share some 2007 shots of them as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Great series Bud and like Tracy said that catapillar is simply awesome!
This sorta reminds me of the time I collected several praying mantis egg cases and left them in between my window and the storm window over winter. One spring day after school, I came home to find my room crawling with literally thousands of tiny praying mantids. My dad thought it was funny, but my mom wasn't quite thrilled. Weeks later we would still find one in an odd corner, under the kitchen sink, in the pantry, basement etc. My mom was still cursing me out over that 35 years later.

NaCl(BTW, they ate all the spiders in the basement)H2O
NaCl - (Can I call you Salty?) Sounds like our younger years were very similar. I had the same experience with mantid egg cases! In fact, we still use them as our #1 means of organic pest control in the garden. I start out every season with, at least, 10 egg cases and we have a couple thousand of them running around in the yard. Most of them devour each other, but they do a nice job with aphids and various other small isects as they mature.

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
I normally do not comment on bug macros, they're not my cup of tea. But this is an extraordinary series.

Excellent work.
Roscot - Thanks! I really appreciate the compliment.

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
I'll second that emotion, beautiful pictures.
Eaglerapids - Thank you!

Closed Thread