Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Photos that work better in B&W...
Posted By: photo_mom, 05-04-2007, 04:51 PM

Hi!

I was processing this photo and during the processing hit the 'convert to B&W' by accident. It actually looked better to me. So I fooled around with the B&W conversion a bit more and I really liked the final product.

Pentax K10D A*300mm w/Vivitar 2XMFTC 800ISO f4.0 1/250s RAW

PSE5 'Convert to B&W' Portrait More blue More Green Less Red
Move slider to left on amount and then More contrast

Which do you prefer?

Also, please feel free to post some of your shots that you feel look better B&W.
Views: 2,442
05-04-2007, 10:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I see photo_mom's point. It is a beautiful b&w photo but Clarenceclose hit the nail on the head. Once I revel in those blues, there's no going back to b&w:-). I wonder what kind of impact it would be if the pic could be in b&w with the blues showing through in color?

05-05-2007, 01:08 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Maybe it is all about expectations. If I look at a picture of a Blue Jay my mind expects to see blue. It's not that that the B&W version is bad but simply that it fails to meet most people's expectations.

Here are a couple shots I took at a British sports car show last year. Personally I found the colour version to be distracting with the wildly contrasting red MGB and the vividly green Healy 'Bug-Eyed' Sprite. Once I desaturated the pictures I found them more interesting. Having no expectations as to what colour either car really is, the B&W versions seem to be more appealing. Is this making any sense?

05-05-2007, 01:09 AM   #18
dbh
Inactive Account

Photo_mom,
Reading the responses and going back and forth the thought occurred, you could keep the bird in full colour, B&W everything else.
Blue is my favourite colour, don't ya know. :-)
--
dbh
- who's backyard is nowhere near as interesting
05-05-2007, 01:12 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
Photo_mom,
Reading the responses and going back and forth the thought occurred, you could keep the bird in full colour, B&W everything else.
--
dbh

An example of that I did for Tracy (and posted on "the other forum" as well).

This is just one quick and easy example of how it could be achieved. I put some color in selected leaves as well for taste, but they can be left out easily enough.

Just a matter of putting her two original photos as layers, and painting in and out color where you want it.

05-05-2007, 01:36 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Tracy
I feel that the colour photo is much better, mainly because birds and colour are naturally linked.
I personally like B & W and also Sepia shots so keep up the good work in all areas. There are shots (cloudy weather, rain etc) that are made for B & W.
05-05-2007, 04:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scg Quote
Well Tracy,

First off, these are two of my favorite natural world items. The Blue Jays (I used to have them as pets during my college days) which are such colorful little crows, and a tulip tree which is the main source for poplar wood and they should be flowering soon.

Anyway, you got them both in the same picture and I like it

With respect to b&w though.... I like the color much better.

Stephen
Thanks Stephen!

They are beautiful birds and I like them for their color until they squawk. If they chase off the bluebirds that have finally nested in the house we put up I'm going to be furious. But they're being very well behaved so far. We have about 3-4 pair that seem to be regulars. It's fun to watch them fight over who gets the food.

How did you get them to be pets? That's amazing!

The tulip trees are all around our house and it's a blaze of orange and green when they bloom. The ones in the front are just starting, but the ones in the back are still just green. Glad you like them. I'll try to get a picture of one in full bloom, but I'll leave it in color.
05-05-2007, 04:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
There is something special about blue and black/white does it no justice (except perhaps some cloud shots). Blue jays are blue and for my money that is the way I like to see them. I vote for the color shot.
Thanks Clarence! Your response brought a big grin to my face this morning. This is almost word for word what photo_dad said - "Blue Jays should be blue and that's that."
05-05-2007, 04:18 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
I see photo_mom's point. It is a beautiful b&w photo but Clarenceclose hit the nail on the head. Once I revel in those blues, there's no going back to b&w:-). I wonder what kind of impact it would be if the pic could be in b&w with the blues showing through in color?
Hi Eaglerapids!

Thanks! Blue is my favorite color as well. Once you see that wing... Maybe if I'd shown the B&W first without showing the color.

I did some of the selective coloring attempts here:
Part color/part B&W doesn't work...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Desaturated greens...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Wasn't too successful with those, in my opinion. But Artyste did a fantastic job!

05-05-2007, 04:26 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Maybe it is all about expectations. If I look at a picture of a Blue Jay my mind expects to see blue. It's not that that the B&W version is bad but simply that it fails to meet most people's expectations.

Here are a couple shots I took at a British sports car show last year. Personally I found the colour version to be distracting with the wildly contrasting red MGB and the vividly green Healy 'Bug-Eyed' Sprite. Once I desaturated the pictures I found them more interesting. Having no expectations as to what colour either car really is, the B&W versions seem to be more appealing. Is this making any sense?
Thanks J.Scott! I think you're making perfect sense. You've got the exact criteria for when B&W works - when there are no expectations as to what colors SHOULD be there. Your first car picture was nice, but I very much prefer the B&W versions. There is less distraction from the bright colors and you can concentrate on the neat cars.
05-05-2007, 04:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
Photo_mom,
--
dbh
Hi DBH!

Blue is THE color! Glad to find another Blue person!

I put some of the selective desaturation attempts here:
Part color/part B&W doesn't work...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Desaturated greens...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
But I like Artyste's version MUCH better.
05-05-2007, 04:35 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Artyste Quote

An example of that I did for Tracy (and posted on "the other forum" as well).

This is just one quick and easy example of how it could be achieved. I put some color in selected leaves as well for taste, but they can be left out easily enough.

Just a matter of putting her two original photos as layers, and painting in and out color where you want it.
Thanks Artyste!! Don't know which reply you'll see first - the one here or over there. HA!

I like it very much. You solved the 'green reflection on the bird' problem quite nicely. Thanks for the desaturation method hints!
05-05-2007, 04:38 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Hi Tracy
I feel that the colour photo is much better, mainly because birds and colour are naturally linked.
I personally like B & W and also Sepia shots so keep up the good work in all areas. There are shots (cloudy weather, rain etc) that are made for B & W.
Hi Bramela! Thanks! It does seem that the preference is for 'some things should be color and birds are one of them.' You're right about storms. The B&W makes the clouds much more menacing and dramatic.

Last edited by photo_mom; 05-05-2007 at 04:41 AM. Reason: fix typos...
05-05-2007, 04:49 AM   #28
Veteran Member

That is really nice edit work. I think it really makes the shot "Pop". Best of both worlds, so to speak.