Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Photos that work better in B&W...
Posted By: photo_mom, 05-04-2007, 04:51 PM

Hi!

I was processing this photo and during the processing hit the 'convert to B&W' by accident. It actually looked better to me. So I fooled around with the B&W conversion a bit more and I really liked the final product.

Pentax K10D A*300mm w/Vivitar 2XMFTC 800ISO f4.0 1/250s RAW

PSE5 'Convert to B&W' Portrait More blue More Green Less Red
Move slider to left on amount and then More contrast

Which do you prefer?

Also, please feel free to post some of your shots that you feel look better B&W.
Views: 3,489
05-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To be honest Tracy, I like the colour version much better. It showcases the bird's plumage, there's nice contrast of colour between the bird, the leaves and the branch too. IMO the bokeh (which ain't terrific) looks better in colour as well.
05-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #3

In this case, I prefer the color version. In my very humble opinion, the brilliantly captured blue would stand out nicely in a crop with just the right amount of green. This is coming from somebody fiercely partial to B&W

A B&W version might work if you crop such that most of the foliage to the left of and above the bird are removed. As presented, the leaves distract due to their definition. The strong highlights in between the leaves further detract.

Last edited by Nixarma; 05-04-2007 at 07:41 PM.
05-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jthommo Quote
To be honest Tracy, I like the colour version much better. It showcases the bird's plumage, there's nice contrast of colour between the bird, the leaves and the branch too. IMO the bokeh (which ain't terrific) looks better in colour as well.
Hi Thommo!

Thanks! I like the bird's colors as well. I just thought the green was too much. The B&W version seems to make the bird stand out more to me.

Now come on, you mean to tell me you don't like that A*300 2X bokeh? That's one thing that I can recommend the Vivitar 2XMFTC for at the 2X end - a good way to demonstrate CA and bad OOF areas. HA!

Last edited by photo_mom; 05-04-2007 at 06:45 PM. Reason: grammar
05-04-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nixarma Quote
In this case, I prefer the color version. In my very humble opinion, the brilliantly captured blue would stand out nicely in a frame with just the right amount of green. This is coming from somebody fiercely partial to B&W

A B&W version might work if you crop such that most of the foliage to the left of and above the bird are removed. As presented, the leaves distract due to their definition. The strong highlights in between the leaves further detract.
Hi Nixarma!

Thank you! I like the blues a lot, too.

Is this B&W crop better? I think you're right about the leaves being a distraction.
05-04-2007, 07:17 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I like the B&W version better. B&W photos always seem a little more dramatic and interesting to me.
05-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like it Tracy, but not as much as the color one. I must be old fashioned, I've never liked a b&w bird photo or a b&w flower photo.

NaCl(I think I'll make it one of my 'rulz' )H2O

05-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Tracy,
I've got to agree with the others here. I like the color version better also.
05-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
I like the B&W version better. B&W photos always seem a little more dramatic and interesting to me.
Thanks Falcons!!
05-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I like it Tracy, but not as much as the color one. I must be old fashioned, I've never liked a b&w bird photo or a b&w flower photo.

NaCl(I think I'll make it one of my 'rulz' )H2O
Hi Salty!

Thanks! The vote's leaning very strongly to the color version.
05-04-2007, 07:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Hi Tracy,
I've got to agree with the others here. I like the color version better also.
Hi Alan!

Thanks! The color version seems to be the one that works, alright.
05-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
Hi Nixarma!

Thank you! I like the blues a lot, too.

Is this B&W crop better? I think you're right about the leaves being a distraction.
Yes.... much better! Maybe you could also burn (with a large brush and about 7-8% strength) some of that strong highlight in the top-center portion? Just a thought.

I think this crop might also make the colour version more powerful ( that and a littlie PF removal )

What bird might this be?
05-04-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nixarma Quote
Yes.... much better! Maybe you could also burn (with a large brush and about 7-8% strength) some of that strong highlight in the top-center portion? Just a thought.

I think this crop might also make the colour version more powerful ( that and a littlie PF removal )

What bird might this be?
Yeah, the 2X converter does add some CA/PF.

This is just a pesky ol' blue jay. They've actually been pretty well behaved this year. Last year they chased all the other birds off the feeder continually.
05-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photo_mom Quote
Hi!

I was processing this photo and during the processing hit the 'convert to B&W' by accident. It actually looked better to me. So I fooled around with the B&W conversion a bit more and I really liked the final product.

Which do you prefer?

Also, please feel free to post some of your shots that you feel look better B&W.
Well Tracy,

First off, these are two of my favorite natural world items. The Blue Jays (I used to have them as pets during my college days) which are such colorful little crows, and a tulip tree which is the main source for poplar wood and they should be flowering soon.

Anyway, you got them both in the same picture and I like it

With respect to b&w though.... I like the color much better.

Stephen
05-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

There is something special about blue and black/white does it no justice (except perhaps some cloud shots). Blue jays are blue and for my money that is the way I like to see them. I vote for the color shot.