Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

1st shots with K20D - Potomac Whitewater Festival
Posted By: MRRiley, 07-11-2009, 05:00 PM

Well, now that the K7 is out the K20D has finally dropped into my target price range, so I picked one up at Ace Photo (Ashburn, VA) last Thursday. The timing was great since I had the perfect opportunity to put it through it's paces this weekend. The annual Potomac Whitewater Festival kicked off today with the Great Falls Race. This is "a quick, adrenaline-packed descent of 60 vertical feet through the Potomac's spectacular class V+ Great Falls." I shoot this every year but this year was particularly kind to photographers since the chosen line was along the VA shore which offers much better vantage points than the Maryland or Central lines.

The VA lines also offer what is probably the most spectacular single drop of the entire Great Falls. The Spout is a 20'+ single drop one side of which drops gradually in a froth of spray and the other side drops vertically into the pool below. All of the following photos depict the Spout from either above or below.

Going over the vertical lip of The Spout

Dropping onto the right side of The Spout

Another Paddler at the brink

Fully Committed

Of we GO!!!

YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaw

All shot with the K20D and The Sigma 50-500mm BIGMA. Shot in Tv mode and shutter speeds varied between 1/500s and 1/750s. Aperture varied as light conditions changed.

More shots available at http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=921919

Mike
Views: 3,001
07-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Thanks all...

> In_Varmntr... if you want to shoot any kayakers running the falls themselves you'll need to go early in the day as the park rangers try (though they can't actually prohibit it) to keep boaters away during the afternoons when there tend to be more tourists around. Also, there are actually 2 separate parks that straddle the Falls. C&O Canal Park is on the MD side (NE shore)and is the best place to shoot the falls in morning hours. The Great Falls Park is in Virginia (SW shore) and offers more vantage points to shoot the Falls and the downstream gorge. The VA side is also best for afternoon and evening light. Hope you have fun and enjoy your trip to DC.

Mike
Thank you for the tips Mike!

07-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike, these are fantastic images thanks for showing us. I guess they forgot to tell you that you can't do that with a Pentax and a Bigma to boot yet.
07-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #18
JMR
Veteran Member

Excellent shots. I like no-1 best. The power of the water is echoed by the stance and clearly visible muscles of the kayaker who appaears to be challenging the waters as much as they challenge her. Nice work!

JMR
07-13-2009, 04:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Mike, these are fantastic images thanks for showing us. I guess they forgot to tell you that you can't do that with a Pentax and a Bigma to boot yet.
Thanks Heinrich, I've actually heard that rumor, but I've never tended to listen to the ravings of lunatics... I actually had 2 high-end (didnt notice which models) Nikon users ask me what I was shooting and their jaws dropped when I said Pentax. They both had on ginormous 200-400mm f4 lenses and were amazed when I showed them some shots on my LCD. They were both firing away at 9fps and were getting mostly spray. LOL

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Excellent shots. I like no-1 best. The power of the water is echoed by the stance and clearly visible muscles of the kayaker who appaears to be challenging the waters as much as they challenge her. Nice work!

JMR
Thanks JMR, Yeah, this was an excellent vantage point. It really tends to concentrate the power of the river and the power/nerve of the paddlers. Oh, and I'm pretty sure that is a guy, but who can tell from this angle?

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-13-2009 at 05:04 AM.
07-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I agree with others, stunning shots! I love the moments where the paddler is just on the edge, one really gets a feeling of the steep falling waters!
07-14-2009, 05:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Georg... I'm glad that that feeling came through. Vantage point is very important and I think I picked the right one for these.

Mike
07-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Nicely done, Mike. I noticed in one of your previous postings that you had acquired the K20 from Ace (I felt like a kid in a candy shop in that store), and looks like you put it to good use, as usual. I got my K20 last week (surprise upgrade from my lovely bride of 42 years), and I have been playing with a bit while doing something I never thought I would do -- I made myself RTFM!

Just curious, but in the Potomac series, were you using a tripod, monopod, or neither?

07-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ace Photo is the GREATEST!... And yeah, some of the shots were handheld, but most were on a tripod. The framing was relatively static so this worked well for the most part.

Mike