Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A really rough way to spend the day
Posted By: Peter Zack, 07-11-2009, 08:17 PM

My boss bought a new toy. A 35foot toy. So he and a bunch of his boating buddies went out today. My wife and I were invited. Ten very nice yachts all reefed together outside Charlottetown harbour. We are sooooo sunburnt. A great day in PEI.

I'll post a few more shots tomorrow. There's 2 cards to sort through.

Name:  IVP_5087a.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  44.0 KB
Name:  IVP_5004.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  114.2 KB
Name:  IVP_4984a.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  72.0 KB

Views: 3,486
07-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Peter, I feel sooo sorry for you, having to endure all this hardship. Nice shots, looking forward to the rest of them.
07-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Heinrich. Here's a couple more. I hope you enjoy.
One the way home there was a sailing race from Pictou to Charlottetown coming into the harbour. 40 N miles.
Here we have a J29 and a Kirby 30.
Name:  IVP_5195a.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  30.1 KB
Name:  IVP_5181a.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  24.2 KB

Last edited by Peter Zack; 07-12-2009 at 03:34 AM.
07-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's that song...? "It sucks to be you... "

Dang, now that's a nice way to spend a Saturday!!! Well done and great images (no comments on horizons - you're on a boat!!)

Cheers,
Marc

07-11-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I really envy you

Really fantastic way to spend your Saturday

The 2 additions that you added on are very beautiful

During such trips, do you only use WR lenses?

I always have this lingering fear
07-12-2009, 03:30 AM   #6
Damn Brit

I'm going for a walk.
07-12-2009, 03:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. It was fun and a great way to expand my business (always carry your business cards). My boss is a cool guy and really supports the photography, I think he sees it as a help to his business and tells everyone about my work. The shot of the 10 boats will be enlarged and in his office soon.
All the boat owners are also local business owners who saw some sample of the shots. I have CD orders from all of them and they have my business cards. A number of them want family portraits done and similar stuff. So a good day in many ways.

Marc, as for the horizons, the shot with the lighthouse and sailboat is off quite a bit and I fooled around with it. Funny thing is, If I straighten it to the horizon the sailboat looks like it going down hill and the lighthouse looks crooked. It's 650 horsepower, shaped similar to a cigarette boat and can move across the water. Even with the very small waves, the boat was moving up and down and vibrating as it hit the waves. Using the K20D at 1/1600th, f6.3, ISO 250, I could easily track a shot and get a clean image. SR worked perfectly. Of course having that big studio light and no clouds didn't hurt. That shot was taken with the boat at around 25 knots, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8

07-12-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
A few more. Lots of boats on the water and for about 4 hours there wasn't a breathe of wind. But it picked up nicely for the racing boats using their spinakers.
We were outside the harbour and wide open to the ocean. You rarely see the ocean this calm. The Northumberland Strait is very warm in summer and lots of people were swimming as well.

Often the lighthouses on the east coast are built in pairs. The idea is that if the ship is trying to come into a harbour in fog or at night, They can line the 2 lights up and follow them straight in. Glad they are still there even if SatNav and GPS has replaced much of the need for them.
Name:  IVP_4963a.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  93.8 KB
Name:  IVP_5030.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  93.8 KB
Attachment 38630
My favourite shot of the day.
Name:  IVP_5206a.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  35.4 KB
Name:  IVP_5032a.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  32.6 KB
Name:  IVP_5228a.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  26.1 KB

Last edited by Peter Zack; 07-12-2009 at 07:40 AM.
07-12-2009, 06:46 AM   #9
Inactive Account

You're a lucky man, Peter!
I can't stand being in the same room with my boss for more than 2 minutes.
Trapped on a boat with him all day would be a violation of the Geneva Convention rules on humane treatment of prisoners.
Plus, I might be tempted to drown him.

Did I mention I'm retiring in less than 2 weeks?

Love your pics, and have to agree on your fav for the day.
07-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Thanks everyone. It was fun and a great way to expand my business (always carry your business cards). My boss is a cool guy and really supports the photography, I think he sees it as a help to his business and tells everyone about my work. The shot of the 10 boats will be enlarged and in his office soon.
All the boat owners are also local business owners who saw some sample of the shots. I have CD orders from all of them and they have my business cards. A number of them want family portraits done and similar stuff. So a good day in many ways.
NICE!!! That's as good as get Peter!!!

Marc, as for the horizons, the shot with the lighthouse and sailboat is off quite a bit and I fooled around with it. Funny thing is, If I straighten it to the horizon the sailboat looks like it going down hill and the lighthouse looks crooked. It's 650 horsepower, shaped similar to a cigarette boat and can move across the water. Even with the very small waves, the boat was moving up and down and vibrating as it hit the waves. Using the K20D at 1/1600th, f6.3, ISO 250, I could easily track a shot and get a clean image. SR worked perfectly. Of course having that big studio light and no clouds didn't hurt. That shot was taken with the boat at around 25 knots, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8
Hey, I am only teasing about that - there's no way on boats that size can be easy to work on!!! Boats that size with choppy waters are bad enough. I've been on a few and know this. Actually even the smaller fishing boats require that you have "sea legs". Not the gentle movement of a ferry that even more than a few folks get green gills from.

That shutter speed and sunny conditions certainly helped. I am really impressed that you got crisp images!

EDIT: I too love that sailing shot you mentioned as your favorite. Beautiful...

Last edited by Marc Langille; 07-12-2009 at 07:12 AM.
07-12-2009, 07:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Man what torture you poor bast%$# Some great shots Peter. Jeff retire congrats ! wow I am only 2 to 3 decades from that if I live that long
07-12-2009, 07:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Peter.... How ever did you stand it? All of them are superb but I have to agree with your favorite. The light is sublime.

Mike
07-12-2009, 07:13 AM   #13
Inactive Account

The shot of the 10 boats will be enlarged and in his office soon.
A friend did the same thing for my Dad when we had a boat. It's long since sold, but the photo on the wall makes me want to get my own boat and create the same memories for my kids.

Nice photos Peter.
07-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A stimulating couple of series, Peter. I particularly dig the shot of the J/29 - we have a lot of those on the Bay, as well. I'm taken with the light house shot, as well.

Your last shot in the first series is that of a Tanzer 26, built by Yohan Tanzer's company that has been out of business for decades. I had a Tanzer 14 (the company's smallest model) when I was in grad school in the early '70's and aspired to get the "big" 26 you've pictured here.

Thanks for posting.

Jer
07-12-2009, 07:51 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Jeff, congrats on the retirement. That's great. Maybe you can take you old boss for a boat ride in 15 days
Thanks Dave and Mike. Glad you enjoyed the shots.
Leaf Fan, I have a Kirby 25 (similar to the K30 with the red hull sitting at my Dad's place waiting for me to get off my butt and do some refitting. That project is due to start in March next year and have her ready for next season. I spent my entire youth learning to sail with an 8 foot 'pram' and every summer was at the Chester Yacht club sailing and racing. It's something your kids will love if you can do it.

Sailor, J's are fast boats. The 29 is much nicer than the 24 which has a crowded cockpit and a traveller tha cuts right through the center. But all fun boats.

The Tanzer is very common around hereand that particular boat has a story for me. I have a couple booked for a wedding next year and we did their engagement shots on the boat. I spotted them sailing yesterday and took about 20 shots of them in their boat. They have no idea I was out there and now I have a surprise to add to their wedding pictures package.