Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Concert for a Free Tibet
Posted By: Darren M, 07-12-2009, 09:56 AM

Yesterday in Taipei, there were actually two different concerts promoting Tibetan independence in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Tibetan uprising, following the Dalai Lama's exile to India. Because of Taiwan's own disputes over sovereignty with China, this is an issue that Taiwanese feel strongly about. I would say that almost all Taiwanese sovereignty activists strongly relate to the Tibetan struggle.

I went to the bigger of the two events, but I wasn't able to stay until the end. It has been scorching hot here in Taipei, but people didn't let that bother them.

In total, there were 10 bands/performers, ranging from straightforward punk, to heavy metal, to aboriginal Taiwanese folk, to conventional folk singer/songwriter/strummers, to instrumental metal, metal/punk as well as a really great sort of gothic metal band that I missed (Cthonic) and what is supposed to be an excellent punk band. I have to say that I really enjoyed the music; there are lots of great players in Taiwan.

These guys were guitarists for the Shoo Band(恕樂團), I think. They were a pretty straightforward metal band, almost in the way of Motorhead. The singer was definitely trying to be a female Lemmy, but only Lemmy can be Lemmy. The guitarists and rhythm section were really impressive though.

I believe this was Chang Jui-chuan (張睿銓), a Taiwanese rapper who did about half his stuff in English. Pretty good, although I can't say I am into the hip hop scene to any degree. He had a good DJ and was pretty competent overall. An interesting thing was that he gave way to a classical singer, leaving the rest of his band to play with her. Quite a transition.

This is Aphasia(阿飛西雅). I guess you could categorize them as instrumental prog rock. Not totally my thing, but a really solid live show. Fairly well known in Taiwan.

Fire-Ex(滅火器). These guys were absolutely fantastic; I loved their show. Hard rock and metal influenced punk. Really, really good.

Panai(巴奈). Taiwanese aboriginal folk. Well known and well regarded in Taiwan. I have seen them a few times.

It was a great day, although 10 degrees cooler would have been well appreciated.
Views: 2,435
07-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice photos

Great cause

Neil
07-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great series Darren, with lovely guitars . I like the lady with the Fender Jazz bass. And of course the LP guitars, my favs as far as electric guitars are concerned.....
07-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager

Some great moments captured there.
You got reasonably close to all the action too.
Well done and thanks for sharing.

07-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great images, the last one is wicked!

I'm glad to see events like this takin' place around the world, nice one.
07-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Great series Darren, with lovely guitars . I like the lady with the Fender Jazz bass. And of course the LP guitars, my favs as far as electric guitars are concerned.....

Agreed
07-13-2009, 12:49 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Cool series, and as another person stated, that last shot is great!
07-13-2009, 01:05 AM   #8
Forum Member

cool shots

07-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone. I think the last one is my favourite as well, or at least one of two. For those non musicians on the board (like me); I assume LP means a Les Paul guitar? I hate to be an idiot, but which one is that? I do know that the Fender Jazz Bass is the one which is so labeled at the top. Thanks again
07-13-2009, 07:37 AM   #10
Forum Member

Great pictures Darren, just wondering which camera and lens you used.

Fred
07-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fred2726 Quote
Great pictures Darren, just wondering which camera and lens you used.

Fred
Thanks Fred. Everything was done with my K10D. Lenses were either my FA31(maybe none here, not sure), FA77, Sigma EX 15-30 or Sigma EX 70-200/2.8. Mostly with the 70-200 I think.
07-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Darren, beautiful shots as you captured the moment in every one of them. Very interesting series.
09-01-2009, 03:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Some good shots. Nice to see you posting your work.
Also good to hear that Tibet is not forgotten