Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Need Help Naming these Birds
Posted By: Jimbo, 07-12-2009, 11:06 AM

Got up early this morning and was able to shoot these two birds. Can someone tell what they are? Thanks. JIM

Views: 3,063
07-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Killdeers are funny birds. If your anywhere near their nest or young, they play like they are hurt, to distract you away from the nest / young.

07-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Excellent shots Jim. Very impressive.

thanks Tom. I keep trying to get even close to some I have seen posted. JIM

QuoteQuote:
If it let you get that close before it flew away, it was feigning injury to keep you away from it's young. It was a nesting female Killdeer and you were near her nest.

jimH
I can always count on this forum to learn a lot about birds. Thank you. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Killdeers are funny birds. If your anywhere near their nest or young, they play like they are hurt, to distract you away from the nest / young.
I never seen this before. Now that I know, I find this bird very interesting and it will help taking pictures of it in the future. JIM
07-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #18
SouthShoreRob

We have these little beauts (the Killdeer) down here in the far south as well. Funny birds, to be sure. As you have read Jimbo, they are inclined to play hurt and lead you away from the nests. These nests are on the ground, and not quite like the typical robin's type nest. See photo here:

Rob