Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A (Sort of) Wet Afternoon
Posted By: Sailor, 07-12-2009, 12:12 PM

Recently, I've posted a few images of our sailboat moving through the water while propelled by a pretty stiff breeze. All of those shots were taken from the leeward side of the boat - the side away from the wind - where the hull digs in as the boat pushes upwind.

On Friday, we sailed in a ESE wind of 18-20 kts, and I hoped to get some pictures of spray curling over the deck from the windward side. The effect, which is produced by the boat interrupting a wave while a wind of sufficient force, pushes the spray of the exploded wave across the boat's deck and cabin. The effect can be pretty spectacular and sometimes leaves the crew a bit damp (and any open beer cans a bit contaminated), as well.

Unfortunately, we never encountered conditions with enough "oomph" to genuinely create the effect, but I grabbed a couple of shots of the bow area that give a sliver of an idea of what spray at sea can look like. Both images are pretty similar and were taken with DA 18-250. I hope I can get what I'm really looking for sometime this summer.

Jer

Views: 1,071
07-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The pics look great. Good job with the DA 18-250.
07-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Really cool (literally!) shots Jer. Thanks for sharing these = I am a tad envious.

Cheers,
Marc
07-13-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
The pics look great. Good job with the DA 18-250.
Thanks. The DA 18-250 is a great "boat lens".

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Really cool (literally!) shots Jer. Thanks for sharing these = I am a tad envious.

Cheers,
Marc
Thanks, Marc, for the kind words. I hope I can get a better version of this phenomenon later in the summer (without, of course, dousing the camera with sea water).

Jer

07-13-2009, 05:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And I was worried about spray misting my lens filter at my kayak race shoot this weekend.. LOL Nice shots and we are looking forward to seeing the full blown effect you are gunning for.

Mike
07-13-2009, 06:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Jer, are you sailing around the world? Enough of the boat man. Your killing me! [hahaha] Cheers bud and great shots. JIM
07-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
And I was worried about spray misting my lens filter at my kayak race shoot this weekend.. LOL Nice shots and we are looking forward to seeing the full blown effect you are gunning for.

Mike
Hey, thanks Mike. I try to be pretty careful with my camera when shooting from the deck on a blustery day - I ain't lost one yet . . . . . . .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Jer, are you sailing around the world? Enough of the boat man. Your killing me! [hahaha] Cheers bud and great shots. JIM
Naw, just sailing around the Bay (but not all on the same day). I have gone overboard (groan) on boat pictures lately, but it's hard not to since we spend so much time aboard from mid-March to mid-November.

Thanks for the kind words, buddy.

Jer