Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

1.2 gigawatts
Posted By: cwhans, 07-13-2009, 09:22 AM

I took this photo last night in front of my house last night while a pretty incredible lightning show was going on. It took me a couple of tries to get the picture I wanted. Enjoy and thanks for looking.

Click on picture for larger image
Views: 2,608
07-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Question : at ISO 400, f3,2, with bulb mode you will soon get an awful lot of light on your sensor. Were you shooting in the middle of the night, in a rural area?
Oh, yeah good point - I was shooting in the middle of the night in a (very) rural area . You nailed it!

Something I've experimented with lately shooting a storm just after sunset (in an extremely rural area - east of "Area 51") when it wasn't fully dark yet was setting the camera to an appropriate exposure and setting for continous shooting and then locking shutter release on the wired remote and letting it fire off one 6 or 10 sec. frame after another - I shot about 500 frames that way and got about 5 keepers, (of which this was the best), but it works. I did switch to shooting jpegs instead of raw in order to save space and improve write times ...

07-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Great shot cwhans

Did that one short out your camera?

Tom G
Thanks. It didn't short out my camera, but it sure lit the sky up. I had two of my kids out with me and when this one hit they took a b-line to the house.
07-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Oh, yeah good point - I was shooting in the middle of the night in a (very) rural area . You nailed it!

Something I've experimented with lately shooting a storm just after sunset (in an extremely rural area - east of "Area 51") when it wasn't fully dark yet was setting the camera to an appropriate exposure and setting for continous shooting and then locking shutter release on the wired remote and letting it fire off one 6 or 10 sec. frame after another - I shot about 500 frames that way and got about 5 keepers, (of which this was the best), but it works. I did switch to shooting jpegs instead of raw in order to save space and improve write times ...
You have some great photos of lightning. I am sure living in Nevada you can get quite the lightning storms during the summer.