Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1.2 gigawatts
Posted By: cwhans, 07-13-2009, 09:22 AM

I took this photo last night in front of my house last night while a pretty incredible lightning show was going on. It took me a couple of tries to get the picture I wanted. Enjoy and thanks for looking.

Click on picture for larger image
Views: 2,607
07-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shouldn't that be 1.21 Gigawatts?

Nice shot! What was your strategy?
07-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
Shouldn't that be 1.21 Gigawatts?

Nice shot! What was your strategy?
It should be 1.21, but I rounded down

I used my wireless remote on bulb mode to hold the shutter open and when a lightning strike would hit I would release the shutter. It took me a couple of tries to get a good shot and I almost gave up for the night when this lightning strike hit and about blew my socks off. Anyway I am glad you like it.
07-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice catch... I love shootin' lightning too. I was watching the lightning map like a hawk yesterday and it looked like Idaho got pummeled!

BTW, I see your flickr tag os ida_flyer - what do you fly? (I fly helicopters myself )...

07-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Very nice shot. On my screen the night has a bit of plum color that i really like in around the spark. Did you PP that in or did it come out like that? Either way its nice to look at.
07-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the comment. Love your photos. I don't fly myself, I just happen to fly out of IDA on a regular basis.
07-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Very nice shot. On my screen the night has a bit of plum color that i really like in around the spark. Did you PP that in or did it come out like that? Either way its nice to look at.
This was straight out of the camera. No PP was done with the photo.

07-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
That color is very common in lightning shots (see my link above for more examples)... I don't know why.
07-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Nice catch... I love shootin' lightning too. I was watching the lightning map like a hawk yesterday and it looked like Idaho got pummeled!

BTW, I see your flickr tag os ida_flyer - what do you fly? (I fly helicopters myself )...
What's a good EV starting point for shooting lightning?
07-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cwhans Quote
This was straight out of the camera. No PP was done with the photo.
Nice. I also cant find the "Lightning" white balance setting on my K20D. I will figure it out some day when I try to shoot lightning. Guess I would try "Flash" first.

A little cropping on the right and you have a really nice commercial poster. Better than the lighting posters I have seen in the shops. Keep it up.
07-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Yowza! Made me crouch on the balls of my feet and all of my hair stand on end. Nice shot!
07-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm afraid I'm not quite technically trained enough to tell you the EV, but through trial and error I've found good results from - ISO 400, f/3.2, Bulb mode held open with a wired remote 'till a strike falls within the frame.

You need for the camera to be fairly sensitive (boost ISO and or fast apertures) because you can't rely on time since the flash is so brief. But you have to keep adjusting if the lightning is filling more or less of the frame, and also for how much your trying to show of your surroundings. Of course it all comes down to luck and tenacity (and knowing when to run away ). The best lightning shot I've gotten was lucky in that a strike behind me lit up the terrain followed by the dramatic strike in the frame - worked out well.
07-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Question : at ISO 400, f3,2, with bulb mode you will soon get an awful lot of light on your sensor. Were you shooting in the middle of the night, in a rural area?
07-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #14

nice one there.....you really have to work hard for lightning shots and at the same time lots of luck...have tried doing it but still havent catch that one yet....i envy you
07-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Great shot cwhans

Did that one short out your camera?

Tom G