Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

MotoGP Racing at Summit Point - 4-5 July 09
Posted By: MRRiley, 07-13-2009, 04:06 PM

Finally managed to sort thru the roughly 2300 photos from the MotoGP races at Summit Point Motorsports Park on the 4th and 5th of July.

These are just a small sample of the shots... All shot with the K10D and the BIGMA...

More and larger copies available at Motorsports - CSS/ASRA Summit Point - 4-5 July 09

Mike
Views: 4,586
07-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #31

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
#16 (in fact all of the shots) are straight out of the camera. And, yeah, I over shot him by a smidge, but it still worked out for a nice shot.
Nothing wrong with that... I have plenty of those myself

The 80-200mm combined with a 1.4 TC should work nicely. I find that most of my panning shots are done between 200-300mm (depends on how close I am to the track of course). You MAY find yourself wishing for something wider though if there is a shootout going on thru a corner. I often find myself at 50mm in order to get both bikes in the frame.
I guess I'll have to try it out with the 80-200mm and 1.4x TC and see how it goes. Worst case I'll have to get a Bigma - hopefully what I get for my Viv S1 105mm will go most of the way towards a used copy (unless anyone wants to trade? ).

I typically run between 25-50% keepers (depends on the corner and how tired I
am). A large part of this is picking a good corner where the speeds are sonsitent. Don't position yourself at a corner entrance or exit as the speeds change too quickly and will make panning much harder.
Nice to know I'm not too far off. I think my biggest reason for missing shots has been that I have not been good enough at following through the shutter click. I tend to stop the panning at the same time I hit the shutter which means I start slowing down even before getting the shot.

And finally, NO, with my K10D, AF is pretty much useless... for my shooting style anyway. I prefocus on the apex of the turn, try to adjust for the spot in space where the rider's head will be and then select a rider and follow him into the turn and hit the shutter just before he reaches my mark (to allow for old slow trigger reflexes). My fingers are usually on the zoom ring ready to fine tune the framing if necessary. I'm hoping the AF proves more useful though with my new K20D.
That's exactly what I have been doing (out of necessity). I just got a k20d, so let me know if AF is fast enough. Even if the 80-200mm works when it comes to focal length, I sure would like being able to get more than one shot of a rider through the corner.

I might be going up to VIR in the beginning of next month. Have you ever shot there? If so, any hints/suggestions for good spots?

07-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emilf Quote
Nice to know I'm not too far off. I think my biggest reason for missing shots has been that I have not been good enough at following through the shutter click. I tend to stop the panning at the same time I hit the shutter which means I start slowing down even before getting the shot.
Thats one of the best things about a big, long, heavy lens. it practically makes you follow through...

That's exactly what I have been doing (out of necessity). I just got a k20d, so let me know if AF is fast enough. Even if the 80-200mm works when it comes to focal length, I sure would like being able to get more than one shot of a rider through the corner.
Will do... The next MotoGP race I have a chance to shoot is at Summit Point on 28-30 Aug. I will be doing the AMA Pro Nationals Motocross at Budds Creek in MD on 22 Aug and the Capital Criterium (Bicycles) on the 23rd.

I might be going up to VIR in the beginning of next month. Have you ever shot there? If so, any hints/suggestions for good spots?
I've not shot at VIR yet but I am hoping to get down there for the races on Sep 19-20.

Mike
07-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
#16 (in fact all of the shots) are straight out of the camera. And, yeah, I over shot him by a smidge, but it still worked out for a nice shot.

The 80-200mm combined with a 1.4 TC should work nicely. I find that most of my panning shots are done between 200-300mm (depends on how close I am to the track of course). You MAY find yourself wishing for something wider though if there is a shootout going on thru a corner. I often find myself at 50mm in order to get both bikes in the frame.

I typically run between 25-50% keepers (depends on the corner and how tired I am). A large part of this is picking a good corner where the speeds are sonsitent. Don't position yourself at a corner entrance or exit as the speeds change too quickly and will make panning much harder.

And finally, NO, with my K10D, AF is pretty much useless... for my shooting style anyway. I prefocus on the apex of the turn, try to adjust for the spot in space where the rider's head will be and then select a rider and follow him into the turn and hit the shutter just before he reaches my mark (to allow for old slow trigger reflexes). My fingers are usually on the zoom ring ready to fine tune the framing if necessary. I'm hoping the AF proves more useful though with my new K20D.
Great tips, and superb shots
07-26-2009, 06:53 AM   #34
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand................William Blake
I would have been proud to have taken No 8, well done Mike a great set of images.

07-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Glad you liked the shots....

Mike
07-29-2009, 05:31 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Stunning series! I really like the first two! Number 17 is so expressive!
07-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #37
Inactive Account

Mike...Very impressive shots....you have mastered that technique to a T.......wow 2300 shots to go thru that is a lot shots never mind the time it takes for you to do that....but seeing these gems I bet it makes all worth while....
07-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #38

wow, great shots!!...Glad to hear that girl was ok after the crash....it's always good when everyone goes home!

07-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Some of your best work Mike. JIM
07-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Stunning series! I really like the first two! Number 17 is so expressive!
Thanks Georg. Yeah, he hammed it up pretty good.

QuoteOriginally posted by Eastern Shore Charlie Quote
Mike...Very impressive shots....you have mastered that technique to a T.......wow 2300 shots to go thru that is a lot shots never mind the time it takes for you to do that....but seeing these gems I bet it makes all worth while....
Thanks Charlie. Yeah its a lot of shots and lord knows I was worn out from carrying around 6+ lbs of K10D and BIGMA for about 6 hours each day. Like you said though... Its worth it!

QuoteOriginally posted by lodi781 Quote
wow, great shots!!...Glad to hear that girl was ok after the crash....it's always good when everyone goes home!
Thanks Christopher, Yeah... She was back racing on a backup bike the next day.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Some of your best work Mike. JIM
Thanks Jim. Glad you liked them. I certainly enjoy shooting them!

Mike
07-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Hey Mike, glad you're back out there makin' a living - instead of traipsing around Blackwater!!

Great shots - just looking at them I knew you used to ride - your positioning was just right!!
07-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #42
Veteran Member

This is amazing work, Mike! Excellent series, and I love the first couple of tight shots where you panned along - something I have a hard time doing with my daughter on a regular bicycle.