Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
You like Greenies? this one is pouting
Posted By: imtheguy, 07-14-2009, 10:38 PM

This story does not end happily ever after. Green Crested Heron sees fish, grabs fish and takes it home, shakes fish too hard and drops it, begins puffing up and pouting.

Please send contributions to Pouting Greenie, c/o ImTheGuy DA_limited fund.
Views: 1,624
07-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
This story does not end happily ever after. Green Crested Heron sees fish, grabs fish and takes it home, shakes fish too hard and drops it, begins puffing up and pouting.
You know I like the greenies, and your shots are great!

Please send contributions to Pouting Greenie, c/o ImTheGuy DA_limited fund.
Will me sending you a dead fish really help with the new DA Limited?
07-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice series and funny to boot, doesn't get much better than that. Thanks for showing us. As for contributions, I stopped fishing a number of years ago.......
07-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Very nice action! Love the first where she prepares to jump!

07-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The second shot is timed really nicely. Nice work -- don't you agree the greens always look a little frazzled? I know they are pretty shy, but sometimes they look downright neurotic...

(edit: you could really make them pop with a little PP work too -- maybe warm them up a little with a WB adjustment and spread the range out a bit. Up the exposure to near clipping, push the blacks up until things start disappearing a bit, then fiddle with the curve... doesn't take much but can really spiff things up. NOT saying they aren't good as they are, just a thought! )
07-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
You know I like the greenies, and your shots are great!
Will me sending you a dead fish really help with the new DA Limited?
Thank you for the compliment. Hell yes a dead fish can help. Have you ever noticed how much a big Blue Fin Tuna can go for in the sushi fish markets in Tokyo?

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Very nice series and funny to boot, doesn't get much better than that. Thanks for showing us. As for contributions, I stopped fishing a number of years ago.......
I am happy to just have your comments, thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Very nice action! Love the first where she prepares to jump!
That long sleek look is pretty unique to these guys (gals?). Really look like 100m track stars.

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
The second shot is timed really nicely. Nice work -- don't you agree the greens always look a little frazzled? I know they are pretty shy, but sometimes they look downright neurotic...

(edit: you could really make them pop with a little PP work too -- maybe warm them up a little with a WB adjustment and spread the range out a bit. Up the exposure to near clipping, push the blacks up until things start disappearing a bit, then fiddle with the curve... doesn't take much but can really spiff things up. NOT saying they aren't good as they are, just a thought! )
The neurotic look is when they have their top popped to a mohawk. I have a couple pics of that but they are all too zoomed to post. I have my rented DA*300 for 3 weeks so lets see if I can get you a nice pop top soon.

edit: oh yes, if I didn't spend all my time playing with the gear and outside shooting I could take more interest in learning PP but after 30 years as a total computer geek anything that puts me back behind the keyboard is bad. So I do the absolute minimum. Have elements 7 and a few utilities but I am so new at real shooting that given the choice of where to put my time, its a no brainer. The PP will have to wait. Plus, I shoot about 100 or so shots a day and keep a third. I am still way too slow at what I can do with PP to do much more. But please, throw those ideas at me 'cause some of them will stick!

Last edited by imtheguy; 07-15-2009 at 04:22 PM.
07-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

edit: oh yes, if I didn't spend all my time playing with the gear and outside shooting I could take more interest in learning PP but after 30 years as a total computer geek anything that puts me back behind the keyboard is bad. So I do the absolute minimum. Have elements 7 and a few utilities but I am so new at real shooting that given the choice of where to put my time, its a no brainer. The PP will have to wait. Plus, I shoot about 100 or so shots a day and keep a third. I am still way too slow at what I can do with PP to do much more. But please, throw those ideas at me 'cause some of them will stick!
Alright, I can relate and understand. I still have piles and piles of files to wade through from the last shoot. Feel free to hit me up if you want a quick run down on my PP process though -- I have it down to less than a minute per shot to "polish it up"

07-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yep I also am into the greenies after getting a couple for myself Excellant searies. jim