Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bad shots from a new lens......
Posted By: Bokehboy, 07-15-2009, 02:46 PM

...until I figured out that my Polarized filter was messed up:

Then I took the filter off. It is really hazy looking like the coating is bad. Oh well, it is an old one:

I am just now experimenting with this lens. It is a Kalimar 80-200mm f4.5 auto aperture, manual focus lens. Got it for about $15 dollars U.S. brand new. After I get the boy through school I will be able to afford the more expensive lenses.

As usual all comments/critiques are welcome. I need all the help I can get!
Views: 1,980
07-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
AlexD

Re: Bad shots from a new lens......

Not too bad. In fact, the one of the orange flowers is honestly very nice! Great colours and background textures.

#1 I think the main problem is camera-shake. Use a tripod or lean against something very sturdy.

I can relate about not being able to afford expensive lenses. How about trying out the inexpensive Pentax A series? I've been very happy with mine.
07-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AlexD Quote
Not too bad. In fact, the one of the orange flowers is honestly very nice! Great colours and background textures.

#1 I think the main problem is camera-shake. Use a tripod or lean against something very sturdy.

I can relate about not being able to afford expensive lenses. How about trying out the inexpensive Pentax A series? I've been very happy with mine.
Thanks AlexD. I did use a tripod and a cable remote release with the first shot. It was one of about 6 different shots that turned out that way. Camera was a k10D and SR switched off while mounted on the pod. The orange flowers were shot without the hazy filter.

Thanks for your reply!
07-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #4

Even though it's hazy, I really like the 3rd photo. In a way, the haze adds to it.

07-16-2009, 12:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bokehboy Quote
Thanks AlexD. I did use a tripod and a cable remote release with the first shot. It was one of about 6 different shots that turned out that way. Camera was a k10D and SR switched off while mounted on the pod. The orange flowers were shot without the hazy filter.

Thanks for your reply!
If it was windy you may have had that effect, with the shutter speed being 1/30 of a second.

But then what am I saying that for, you already know that

I think that you got a nice lens there for around what I paid for coffees last week alone.
07-16-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
Forum Member

not that bad...
07-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Black Magic Quote
Even though it's hazy, I really like the 3rd photo. In a way, the haze adds to it.
Thank you for the compliment. That was a time exposure (bulb) of water flowing around the rocks in a stream. I kind of like the soft effect too but will try the same shot next week with a clear filter just to see what we get.

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
If it was windy you may have had that effect, with the shutter speed being 1/30 of a second.

But then what am I saying that for, you already know that

I think that you got a nice lens there for around what I paid for coffees last week alone.
You know what? I hadn't thought too much about that shutter speed and wind as I was using a tripod. You are quite correct in that it was a bit windy that day. The light came on about the filter when I couldn't get a clear focus on an Eastern Bluebird sitting on it's nesting box. Oh well we all have those moments but I seem to have enough of them for everyone.

Thanks for the critique and compliments. I paid 25 bucks to fill my tank last week so I was really pleased with 15 bucks for a brand new lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by mie17 Quote
not that bad...

Thanks!