Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first airshow.
Posted By: Pixel_uk, 07-15-2009, 04:13 PM

All shot with a K200D and a 18-200mm Sigma lens at the Duxford Flying Legends Display on the 11th July.

I was a bit peeved with the weather at the beginning of the day because of the rain but later on, the sun came out to play and I think I prefer the clouds to a bright blue sky.

Exif should be intact if you want to check that out but I think most were shot on aperture priority

Some more pics here : Web Album
Views: 3,268
07-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
first, for a rabid/avid aviation fan, thanks!
the pics are a treat.... i especially like to 109 and 190 together....
a bit tighter crop (as long as noice/sharpness won't hurt), and perhaps
a wee bit increase in overall lighting may bring more pop...
all and all, a welcome posting to the forum...
cheers from across the pond, dave m.
07-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Very good job. Well done!

Mike
07-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
YJD
Veteran Member

I love number 3, great job!

07-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That was quite an airshow and these are excellent, as are the ones on your site. I especially liked the mood you established with the sky and the airplanes. Nice work! One thing though, although most of the images are very sharp, I found the "stopped" propellers on some of them to be odd looking (e.g., the DC3/C47). Having never shot an airshow I don't know the answer, but is it possible to get acceptable sharpness of the airplane with a slower shutter speed and still retain a sense of motion on the propeller?
07-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You should try the first one in B&W, make it look old style to set the era. All are very good well done.
07-16-2009, 05:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeW Quote
One thing though, although most of the images are very sharp, I found the "stopped" propellers on some of them to be odd looking (e.g., the DC3/C47). Having never shot an airshow I don't know the answer, but is it possible to get acceptable sharpness of the airplane with a slower shutter speed and still retain a sense of motion on the propeller?
Looking through the folder, anywhere between 250th and 800th of a second seems to give the propellers a slightly blurred effect.. so i guess that and some practice with panning would work.

I'll try shutter priority next time and maybe a polarizer?

This shot of B25's was at 1/400th

07-16-2009, 06:13 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
nice!
07-16-2009, 08:00 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
first, for a rabid/avid aviation fan, thanks!
the pics are a treat.... i especially like to 109 and 190 together....
a bit tighter crop (as long as noice/sharpness won't hurt), and perhaps
a wee bit increase in overall lighting may bring more pop...
all and all, a welcome posting to the forum...
cheers from across the pond, dave m.
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comments and I took your advice.

07-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I am gonna be another to suggest that some of those be converted to black and white tones or sepia. Since the colors and sky are muted and made dull by dreary clouds in most of those, the subjects would seem more interesting and give greater emotion with black and white or sepia treatments.
But some of the images are done well otherwise.
07-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The compositions are nice. I personally would've preferred a bright blue sky (but nature doesn't always give us a running start). It would have probably helped with not fooling your camera into underexposing most of those shots. Most of them are indeed underexposed. If you don't have a handheld spot meter with which you could've zoned the clouds appropriately (or the planes), I would suggest a 1/2 to 1 stop increase in exposure compensation.
Additionally, pay attention to the background when you're composing portraits. The shot of the two crewmen would have been better if the man on the left did not have a propellor sticking out of the side of his head.
07-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #12

The first one is very nice! I like the colours, it makes it "nearly" vintage.
07-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
The compositions are nice. I personally would've preferred a bright blue sky (but nature doesn't always give us a running start). It would have probably helped with not fooling your camera into underexposing most of those shots. Most of them are indeed underexposed. If you don't have a handheld spot meter with which you could've zoned the clouds appropriately (or the planes), I would suggest a 1/2 to 1 stop increase in exposure compensation.
Additionally, pay attention to the background when you're composing portraits. The shot of the two crewmen would have been better if the man on the left did not have a propellor sticking out of the side of his head.
Thanks for tip about exposure compensation.

At the propellor but I did find another one I took without it sticking out of his head.

07-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I like the BW. If I did not know I could have been fooled to believe it was from the mid 40. Well done
07-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mie17 Quote
nice!
I agree. I like the look of the props on this one. By the way, I'll dissent about the blue skies. Some of the most effective photos - in my opinion - work because they are a bit gloomy and moody. If I understand Northern European weather, that would have been the natural habitat for most of these warbirds.