Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A Day at the Football (the Australian way)
Posted By: Mallee Boy, 05-06-2007, 01:20 AM

Hi folks,
I have had a most enjoyable day out at the footy, watching my beloved Brisbane 'Lions' doing battle with the Fremantle 'Dockers' at the fabulous "Gabba" ground. These two teams are based on the opposite sides of Australia.

Here is a little pictorial essay of the day.
First the oval, this a four shot pano.
Followed by the Fremantle team entering the arena, and then my mighty Lions.
Then we toss the coin to decide who kicks to which end.
And then the big men fly/
(more images in reply) Allshot with the DS & 50-200, no pp.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 08-25-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Views: 1,872
05-06-2007, 01:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
A few more action shots from high in the stand.
The game is very fast, and I wont bother explaining the rules, suffice to say most people who see it live...fall in love with the game.
Hope you enjoy.
Cheers
Grant

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 08-25-2007 at 04:26 PM.
05-06-2007, 01:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

and we WON.

05-06-2007, 03:45 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots and congrats on beating the dorkers.

Live in Perth but barrack for Melbourne (although never actually been to Melbourne) have my tickets booked to see them on May 20th at Subi oval against the eagles, hope it isn't the usual massacre and that Melbourne can finally win a game this year. (Almost beat the Power today though).

Just a couple of questions
Are you allowed to take a DSLR camera in or did you smuggle it in?

Was the pano shot hand held?

05-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Nice shots and congrats on beating the dorkers.

Live in Perth but barrack for Melbourne (although never actually been to Melbourne) have my tickets booked to see them on May 20th at Subi oval against the eagles, hope it isn't the usual massacre and that Melbourne can finally win a game this year. (Almost beat the Power today though).

Just a couple of questions
Are you allowed to take a DSLR camera in or did you smuggle it in?

Was the pano shot hand held?
Hi Falcon,
Don't worry, the Demons will get going again, injuries are a curse in a close competition like this one. Don't forget its only round 7.

To answer your questions: The Gabba website says that you can take a camera in and photograph as long as it is for personal (not professional/commercial) use. When I first took it out of the bag I expected to be pounced on by some zealous official, but no-one came near me all day.

The pano was hand held and taken from my seat, which is high in the Sthn Stand.
Thanks for looking.
Cheers
Grant
05-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good stuff Grant, the mighty Lions helped my tipping score in a tough week
05-06-2007, 05:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

That first kicking shot looks like a bad shot (kick) though. Enjoy watching this game every now and then, but to me there is too much scoring going on (like basketball and net ball). The posts should be closser together to make it more difficult, and so, I believe, make scoring more exciting. A good game nonetheless.

05-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
That first kicking shot looks like a bad shot (kick) though. Enjoy watching this game every now and then, but to me there is too much scoring going on (like basketball and net ball). The posts should be closser together to make it more difficult, and so, I believe, make scoring more exciting. A good game nonetheless.
Hi Arpe,
yeah Brownie ( Jonathon Brown No 16) had a shocker off the boot, he ended up with 2 goals 2 behinds, but missed everything on another 3 or 4 occasions...that was one of them!!
Take your point on the scoring, but it also holds out that you can 6 or 8 goals down, but still in the game. A lot of teams have come from that far back to over run the oppostion and pinch a victory. On the other hand if they go ultra defensive 8 goals can win a game. Thats the beauty of it.

Thats also why I can not get into soccer, if they were to make the net a metre wider and half a metre higher and end up with 8 - 7 results the game would be interesting, as it is I just can not get into it. ( I've tried, believe me!!). I know the soccer purists will howl me down, but, hey, each to her/his own.

Thommo: don't talk about rotten, lousy, !!@@#$#!! tipping competitions
05-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I agree about the soccer. We were just talking about that at smoko this morning, even our resident Aussie concurred! (Though he's a NRL man).