Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Another attempt at portraits
Posted By: LSPhotography, 07-16-2009, 08:11 PM

So this is my second attempt at portraits, using my girlfriend as the model again lol, she has been very understanding with me. anyway here are the results.
Views: 2,466
07-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I think the crops are a little too tight and the first and last shots have way too much space above her head. Second to last pic is the best one IMHO.
07-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi. Nice attempt at these portraits.
You had to shoot in difficult lighting conditions, so the results won't be the best they can be - but you did good with what you had to work with.

#1 has a little too much redundant space above her head, and her upper body is chopped off too high as a result.
#2 had too much harsh sunlight hitting her head, and it appears as it was also in the direction of the lens, clouding out the image with ghosting. DOF is a little too thin for my liking.
#3's probably the pick from the bunch for me - my preference would be for a slightly higher perspective (Camera down approach) with her looking straight into the lens to accentuate more of her face - but this is a good portrait.
#4 is also lovely though the background is a little distracting. The lighting's a little flat as well.
#5 is great but again there's too much of the frame filled with that brick wall background - more of her body in the frame would have made this a real keeper.

Keep shooting!
07-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The first two look like you're getting too close with too wide a lens. Try to use focal lengths of 50-90mm on digital (film equivalent 75-135mm) for head shots this tight/close. I like number 3, although I normally do not like the cropping of limbs like that, but it does lead the viewer's eye into the shot.

07-17-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Practice makes perfect

Number 4 is my favorite out of the group.
07-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks alot for the suggestions guys. luckily i came across a 50mm prime lens. im gonna try to take that one out next time... these were shot with a sigma 18-50mm
07-18-2009, 12:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I agree with the other suggestions. I would add that to me, and this is just opinion, but the lighting looks quite flat resulting in images lacking a sense of dimension and proportion. Even just using natural light, a single reflector as well as a shade would let you control the light better, thus creating the shadows needed for that sense of dimension. Or use what is available, the shade of a tree, a wall or building...anything handy...

#2 really has potential to me, the composition and pose in #4 also has potential yet also is the perfect example of what I call flat lighting...there are no shadows to create a sense of dimension. If that makes any sense?

Your final shot again to me had potential, had more shadow to add some depth, but overall, to be honest the lighting is just not what I think you had in your mind's eye when envisioning the shot. I sense what others have suggested already, the perspective is sorta off and almost uncomfortable, and not in a good way, to me as a viewer of the shots.

As bad as that sounds, nothing a bit more practice can't help. Patience in setting up the shot...better one great shot than a dozen mediocre or worse shots....and still I would say very nice effort!! I do see you had a plan of sorts...can't wait to see more as time goes on!...btw they are still better than 99% of my portrait shots, I just don't have the patience it takes. I like candids and such over posed shooting. Ironically I LOVE still life/product sorta shots though. Dar-field, bright-field and other similar techniques...I find they migrate well into other types of shots.

BTW, I REALLY like the pose here Old Town Portrait 8 by ~LytestylePhotography on deviantART but the crop is way to tight...it has a great feel and she has a wonderful smile. It even shows in her eyes that it's a genuine happy smile (even if it might not have been it looks like it is to me.)

This one Stone Archway by ~LytestylePhotography on deviantART I REALLY like and thing with a bit of either PP or even a touch of HDR it would be a very interesting shot!! I know it is just an archway/door sort of thing but ya got the textures, the light differences plus other things I dunno how to explain...super shot to me anyway...btw, I would clone out the bench as well as the shadow from that pole across the brick on the patio on the other side before anything else.

For sure do not be discouraged...there are some really nice shots in your gallery!!

07-18-2009, 01:06 AM   #8
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you are doing fine, sessions like those and followed by reflection upon resuls and new sessions are a very good learning tool. Yes generally 50mm+ is used but its fully possible to use wide angle too, I have seen great portraits with fish eye lenses of all things.

I agree with the suggestion of a reflector. getting into lighting lets you tap into a lot more potential for creativity and great results rather than having to look/wait for the good light.

an inexpenive and intresting place to start would be one of those 5 in 1 reflectors. That would get you both a diffuser that you can place between the sun and the subject to let the sun shine through it. or you can use the silver and gold reflectors to put light into the subjects face. the problem with them is they can be difficult to use without someone to hold them.
07-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LSPhotography Quote
Thanks alot for the suggestions guys. luckily i came across a 50mm prime lens. im gonna try to take that one out next time... these were shot with a sigma 18-50mm
please keep us updated on your next try
07-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I definately will... I will most likely be posting on here more often. beings as the forum i originally started on. i get barely any feedback, where as here i get a good amount.
07-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LSPhotography Quote
I definately will... I will most likely be posting on here more often. beings as the forum i originally started on. i get barely any feedback, where as here i get a good amount.
Cool...I am new here too and like the "small town" feel of the place. Goofy folks just like me, curmudgeons who might seem cranky yet are very helpful and willing to explain anything, and so many life long Pentax folks it really offers a wealth of info that I really have not run into elsewhere.

I can say the people here can put up with my insanity, then they have to either be specially medicated or, more likely yet not 100% , just nice folks.