Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Seeking simplicity
Posted By: ChrisA, 05-06-2007, 11:47 AM

I shot this with natural light, which necessitated a longish exposure (1/20s, Pentax 75-300 FAJ at 130mm, F4.5, K10D) and hence a wide aperture, so very little depth of field.

A reflector was used to reduce shadows on the right hand side as you look at it, so the lighting is virtually uniform. It's a world apart from what might be called "studio style" with its intense lights and heavy makeup, but I wanted to achieve as near to a natural look as I could.

I was wondering whether the result is pleasing.

This photograph has been heavily criticised elsewhere for its lack of overall sharpness, and that feedback has been gratefully received and noted. I'd appreciate it if any that have already commented would refrain from doing so again, since I'm interested in new reactions from a wider audience.
Views: 4,402
05-08-2007, 05:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think the bare shoulders are a distraction at all. I think it fits your title "Seeking Simplicity" very well.

This is a very good portrait. Well composed and exposed. 2 areas that I feel can be improved a bit.

1. The eyes could be sharper. The softness works except for the eyes. Her's are so beautiful, the sharpness should be like a razor.

2. The lighting is a bit flat for my taste. A little shading on the side opposite your main light source at maybe a 2:1 light ratio would look very nice.

Over all a very good image. Congrats.
(Reading this back to myself, I can see I've lurking too much over at Photosig )

05-08-2007, 06:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I notice that a number of folks - whose opinions I value a great deal (and whose suggestions I've taken more than once) - believe the bare shoulders are a distraction. In this rare instance, I gotta say I disagree. I think they add just the right level of context and allure to make the shot come together.

Jer
I agree with you, Sailor.
Here eyes are such magnets that I don't find her bare shoulders a distraction at all. putting any color other then skin tones might pull the eyes away from her beautiful eyes.

great shot.... maybe the lighting on one side of her face (the opposite of the lighting) have possibly a 1/3 of a stop difference (darker).... not to add drama as you want the soft look... but just a tad of a shadow for a more 3D effect.
just an idea, noting that the portrait is great the way it is.
great eyes, draws the viewer into her soul

cheers

randy