Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
And you think your gear is too heavy!
Posted By: NaClH2O, 05-06-2007, 07:33 PM

Saturday was a very nice day here. The photographers were out in force

I saw every brand of digital camera imaginable and quite a few film slr's too. Then I came upon this

mostly she shot with the shawl that's over her shoulder as a hood but I guess it got too hot.

Here's a closer look at the camera:

She said that tripod, film packs, camera, light meter etc came to about 20 lbs.

NaCl(next time I think my gear is too heavy, I'll think about her)H2O
Views: 1,902
05-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
agree with you there, Salty. I don't usually mind lugging around my equipment - but I also push things to the extreme sometime, and I wouldn't want to handle setting that beast up and taking down again and again, for only maybe a handful of shots for the day...
05-06-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd hate to lug that around, however I wouldn't mind trying it.
Did she have any sample pic's from it Salty?
05-06-2007, 10:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Salty,

I have a 4X5 field camera and I like to use it. It slows you down and makes you think (sometimes that is very dangerous ) about photogrpahy and the photograph you actually previsualized.

That said...what is she looking at the frosted glass for? Obviously she can't see anything becauce the film holder is seated. And unless the jacket doubles as a hood...where is requisite black hood

Stephen

05-07-2007, 03:12 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Dispite it's ancient appearance it is actually a fairly modern, hand made, 4X5 camera. You can still either buy or order them here. Ken Rockwell uses one of these monsters and has an article on them here. Properly used they will produce images at far greater resolution than any digital camera. Well, that is what he says in the article.

05-07-2007, 05:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scg Quote
Salty,

I have a 4X5 field camera and I like to use it. It slows you down and makes you think (sometimes that is very dangerous ) about photogrpahy and the photograph you actually previsualized.

That said...what is she looking at the frosted glass for? Obviously she can't see anything becauce the film holder is seated. And unless the jacket doubles as a hood...where is requisite black hood

Stephen
Stephen, the hood is over her shoulder, for a while she was using it, but it was rather warm and I imagine she was getting hot under it. By the time I had changed lenses (I had been using my Tamron 90mm macro) she had taken the hood off and was shooting as you see here.

NaCl(I have a shot of her hitting her cable release, but I didn't post it)H2O
05-07-2007, 06:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That's the only way that I know of to combine photography with fine furniture. My kind of girl!
05-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

With the cost of film for that thing, I'm surprised that she's shooting in what is obviously high sunlight. Maybe she is going for the contrasty look.

Here's one that I like from a recent trip to the left coast. It was a great sunset, even if we were sitting there waiting for AAA to come and unlock the keys from the rental car.

05-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I was thinking that... way too bright it seems to be shooting expensive film.

Mind you... she looks cool.
05-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
With the cost of film for that thing, I'm surprised that she's shooting in what is obviously high sunlight. Maybe she is going for the contrasty look.

Here's one that I like from a recent trip to the left coast. It was a great sunset, even if we were sitting there waiting for AAA to come and unlock the keys from the rental car.

that photo made getting locked out worth it
05-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #11
Pentaxian

She should at least be using a wooden tripod as well.